Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking into lap band.

i know this is a site for people who have received the lap band already but i need to do some research on this before i jump into it. I know you can read all the facts, which i have been reading a lot of facts but i want some personal responses form someone who has had it done.

1) how long did it take you to recover and go back to work after your procedure.

2) did you have a hard time dealing with your insurance.

and 3) what can i expect when starting this journey?

Not all of us on here had been banded yet. I am getting mine April 7. I have been working toward it for over a year.

This website has been wonderful for gaining information. Be sure to go all over the site to find various info and people at various stages.

Most people take about a week off but many are only off three days. My surgeon does all his surgeries on Wednesday so you can take off three days and have the weekend to rest and be ready to go back to work on Monday. Of course, it depends a lot on what kind of work you do.

I had no issues with my insurance other than it can be a long process. Each one requires different things. Just be patient and do each step and you will get there.

The issues I had were with a surgeon and his office. They were not helpful and rude. They did not follow through with what they said they would do, so I ended up changing surgeons. My new one and his office are great, but it set me back another 6 months.

Best of luck to you. It will be frustrating getting approved because once you make up your mind to do it, you are ready but the process is just starting. You have to jump through the hoops and it will happen.:thumbup:

i know this is a site for people who have received the LAP-BAND®® already but i need to do some research on this before i jump into it. I know you can read all the facts, which i have been reading a lot of facts but i want some personal responses form someone who has had it done.

1) how long did it take you to recover and go back to work after your procedure.

2) did you have a hard time dealing with your insurance.

and 3) what can i expect when starting this journey?

Hi Britbrit,

This site is for all things band. Welcome!

I took a week off and went back half-time the second week. I caught a cold around the time I was in the hospital, and was wishing I had taken the second week off, also. If I hadn't caught the cold, that might not have been the case, and one week might have been fine.

All insurance companies are different. Mine denied my primary care doctor's referal to see my surgeon becasue I had not done a 6 month supervised diet. I appealed it and won. I gave them years' worth of weight watchers records and personal diary entries. I explained that another attempt would not make a difference.

After that, I had no problems with my insurance.

Not sure what you'd like to know about what you can expect? Any specific questions?

I'd say you can expect a roller coaster of emotions. Times of frustration and joy. Excitement and fear. But, it's all good and a road to a healthier you.

Best wishes in your decision.

Welcome, britbrit!

My insurance required a 6 month history of medically supervised weight loss, which I did through my surgeon's office. He required a whole battery of tests prior to the surgery, including abdominal ultrasound, upper GI series, pulmonary studies, a sleep study, doppler exams of my lower legs, echocardiogram, psych eval, etc., etc. So, I was glad to have the 6 months to get all that squared away. Once all of that was completed and turned in to the insurance, it took them about a month for the approval...I was banded the following week.

As to work, because I have an extremely long commute (2+ hours in each direction), I arranged to work at home for a month so I could get past the first nutrition stages. I first put in actual work time 5 days after the surgery.

It's definitely a journey, and one that is different for each person. There are a lot of emotions tied into it...but if you have the courage and conviction to hang tight when the road gets bumpy, the rewards are many. It is not a panacea, nor a quick fix, and there are things that you have to sacrifice to get results. Some of those things are temporary, others, permanent.

My best wishes to you!

Christine

I had surgery done on a Thursday and went back to work on Monday. HOWEVER, I only stayed a few hours and left. The gas pain was so uncomfortable and could not concentrate. Then, I took off Tuesday and went back fulltime on Wednesday. Everyone is different. The BEST advice is after surgery to walk, walk, walk. It will greatly diminish the gas pains.

I have BCBS insurance and it was not difficult to get approval. The doctor's office had a step by step process and I followed it all to make sure I was approved.

What to expect? Hmmm...a life change for sure.

i donno i am having some major back issues because of my extra weight ie. degenerative disk disease, spinal stonsis, and herniated disk. and i need to lose weight and things need to start changing asap. i lose my insurance march of 2011. i know the process is long but im hoping to either do it this summer or if i have to wait untill december of 2010. so i dont have to miss college classes...

i dont know what questions to ask, im kind of scared to even think about this as an option, but its one i really need to consider!

I was banded on 17th December 2007, just before Christmas, and right in the middle of the festive preparations. I spent one night in hospital, had absolutely no pain WHATSOEVER and was home the next morning. I have 4 kids and I just stepped straight back into my routine and was back at work on the Monday. It was the best thing I have ever done and since then I have gradually and safely lost weight to a point where my BMI is now 24.1 and I have decided that i do not want or need to lose any more weight.

Hope this is helpful.

i donno i am having some major back issues because of my extra weight ie. degenerative disk disease, spinal stonsis, and herniated disk. and i need to lose weight and things need to start changing asap. i lose my insurance march of 2011. i know the process is long but im hoping to either do it this summer or if i have to wait untill december of 2010. so i dont have to miss college classes...

i dont know what questions to ask, im kind of scared to even think about this as an option, but its one i really need to consider!

Britbrit,

Something to ponder for you.

You say you are losing your insurance in March of 2011 and you are in college. I am taking a leap that you are not rolling in money.

With the band, it is not a set it and forget it procedure. You will need fills after the surgery. If you don't have insurance, these fees will be out of pocket, have you taken this into consideration? Fills are not inexpensive.

If you get the band in December, your first fill would not be until February at the earliest. Many people take 3 fills before they get any restriction, often more. I have had 4 or 5 fills and one unfill. If I had paid $250 for each fill/unfill that would be $1500.

Gastric bypass is a much more complicated procedure and the recovery takes longer, but might be a better fit. However, you'd have the expense of prescription strength Vitamins, and bloodwork to check nutrition levels (I think that happens every 6 months, but am not sure).

Please don't take this as trying to talk you out of the band. Just a word of caution that if you cannot afford proper after care you will just have an expensive piece of plastic inside of you. Without proper restriction, the band is pretty much useless.

Best wishes to you!

I am 2 weeks postop and doing great. I did have some pain that was easily manageable with meds for a few days. I went back to work this Tuesday. My job is pretty intense and requires lots of lifting so I did take some extra time :thumbup: I am a medic so going back to work after a week was not an option even though mentally I was ready, my eneergy level was good, and I felt well enough.

If you are a FT student, you should be well enough to go back to class within a week. Shooting for surgery over break is probably a good idea just so you can be home to organize meals and get settled into a routine. I give you a lot of credit for investigating surgery while you are in school. I should have, but was not brave enough then. As long as you have a support system, you will do well in making lifestyle changes.

As to the insurance issue, everyone's insurance is different and my HMO Blue is different some someone's in another state. For me, the paperwork went in on Thursday and I was approved on Monday! I had to to see the nutritionist 3x, psych once, and 2 surgeon visits along with a clearance by my PCP. But, every surgeon is different. Since I have no medical issues, I didn't have to have any extra tests.

Like you, I have back issues - a significant disk herniation. Losing weight typically helps improve pain, but you have several compounding issues with your back. I can say that my back feels awesome after losing weight. Most surgeons insist on avoiding NSAIDs post op to decrease the chance of band erosion, so if you are dependent on them now, you will need to come off Motrin, Advil, or any prescription ones after surgery. For me, I was able to stop the Rx NSAID by my second surgeon visit in December, that was about 30lbs lighter than my starting weight.

My question to you is, are you able to exercise? If your answer is no, then bypass surgery may be a better option for you. I was able to drop some weight well before surgery (in fact, that's why I even considered surgery) so I could go back to the gym. Exercise is so important with lap band. Like others have said, it is no magic, you are in control of your success with food choice and exercise, at least until you get good restriction.

I don't want to scare you off having a band, but you need to be honest with yourself. If you cannot or will not exercise consistently, the band may not be right for you. If you can commit to a program and your doctors feel you will improve with some weight loss then the band can help you greatly over time. But it is no miracle cure and everyone reacts to it different. I've lost 62 lbs now (10 lbs post op) so it is possible even with back issues. You are young and sound motivated to make a change in your life, so whatever you choose will be right for you.

Please ask any questions you have! I hope my experience helps. Good luck to you!

Edited by abracadabra

abracadabra- i am able to exercise, and i go to physical therapy for my back im just not able to do alot of hard things, ive lost 7 lbs since the beg. of jan, and i am in a Water arobics class which is good it is also less impact on my back, and i actually look forward to that class. i can exercise i just have to do things that arent too hard on my back. my dr. who knows my lifestyle and my med. history said id be a good canadiate for it. and when i told my parents we started looking into it. im going to go into my dr's for an appointment with my mom so we can discuss it with her. and my diet is changing and is healither its just so hard with being a full time worker adn full time student. i know that i can work out, walking and biking doesnt hurt too much and i feel like nothing hurts when im doing stuff in the Water, even just laps feels good.

Cocoabean- thanks for that thought about the fills. i didnt even think of that, but i also know i can get medical insurance thu my work even tho it is expensive it would still cover part of it, and my parents are going to help me in which ever way i can.

everyone- was anyone really scared before they went in, im scared now, ive never been in a hospital bed or even had an iv, im just scared and i know if i commit to it, with my parents help i wont be able to chicken out.

I was so scared before surgery. I had never had surgery and was terrified. As I was about to go into surgery I explained to EVERYONE that I had decided I could NOT do this. The very nice Dr, said to "breathe the oxygen, then we can discuss this" and next thing I was waking up! Yes, it is the best thing I have ever done for myself and my future.

Being scared is normal, so don't let that stop you.

Banded 2/16/10 :blushing:

Hi BritBrit,

I am in the same spot as you are. I went to lap band seminar back in Oct 09, and was not ready to make the appointment for the insurance consultation. I have not really thought about until recently, but the cost was too restrictive. I just recently found out that my insurance with cover more than half of the hospital costs, so I have been reading everything I can the past few days to get information, and get an idea what people have gon thru on their journey.

I have an appt on April 6th to see what the insureance will cover, and what their precerts are. I feel like this is the first step, so I am happy for that!

BritBrit....are you losing your insurance because you will no longer be covered under your parents policy as a FT student? It sounds like you have other issues that would get you approved for the surgery as long as the insurance covers it. I would suggest that you talk to your primary care dr and get a referral to a couple of different surgeons in your area and then call their clinics and find out if they do in person or webinar information seminars and register to attend with your mother (for support) so that you get all the details from that end. If you would need to be on a 6 mo pre-op dr supervised diet to get approved, it would be best to start that as soon as possible.

Get all the details on the insurance that your work offers - the plans, the company and compare it to what you currently have and if your potential surgeon/dr accepts both insurances if they are different companies. He may be able to offer some insite into which would be easier to get approved under. You may only be able to get covered when they have open enrollment periods which are usually in the fall and are effective as of Jan 1 of the next year. Some allow "life changing events" to add or delete a person that is covered. Married, divorced, death are a few. I would think turning 23 and no longer being a student would be one also so that is why I am thinking that you should look into getting your own insurance through work when they have open enrollment as that would take effect 2-3 months prior to you not being covered and you could possibly have the surgery in Jan 2011 right after the holidays. (just a thought and forever thinking outside the box)

Continue your Water exercise and try to lose some additional weight. If you are going it on your own, keep reading this forum for ideas and recipes. Try to do a 2 wk liquid Protein pre-op diet on your own to see if you have the willpower and help you jump start your weight loss. (not advocating you continue liquids only but after 2 weeks, maybe use it as a tool a couple days a week alternating with a good lowcal balanced diet in-between).

I think you're doing exactly the right thing - research before you make a decision.

My lap band was done last Tuesday, 03/16/10, laparoscopically. Getting ready is important; losing as much as you can ahead of time makes the whole process easier, and shows the surgeon (and any nay-sayers) that you are serious. I am off work until I see my doctor postop, which is on Wednesday, 03/31. Figured I may as well take the rest of that week, so I'm off a total of three weeks. I have TONS of sick time, though, so I'm happy to finally use some of it. I'm driving and walking the dog, laundry, doing all the normal day to day stuff. Basically the only reason I'm off is because they said "do not return to work until after postop visit" and they set that for two weeks out! I'm sure returning to school wouldn't be an issue. I used Lortab elixir the first night home just because I couldn't get comfortable in bed, and haven't used anything since. There is virtually no pain, just some discomfort. I'd love to gnaw a steak, but I'm on liquids until postop check, then start pureed foods.

My whole process, from intial consultation to surgery, was a little over three months. I had the consultation in December, saw the psychiatrist, dietitian, luckily didn't need any of the extra stuff other people are mentioning. The first of January, everything was ready to submit to insurance, and they approved it pretty quickly. (I have Anthem BCBS too.) Then it was just getting the appointments with the surgeon set up in time to start the "liver shrink" diet for two weeks so I could make his next available slot. My surgeon's office says allow three months from first consultation to surgery, and they were pretty much on target with it.

I don't know about the followup fills; people are right, that's an expense you don't want to get stuck with suddenly - to have a band and not be able to afford to have it accessed and inflated would be a huge downer. I have three months of followup visits with no co-pay, but I guess that doesn't mean the surgeon won't file individual claims for them. My suggestion would be talk to several doctors' offices and see what they consider an average wait time from consultation to surgery. Having a whole year sounds like it's plenty of time to me. Best of luck to you!!

abracadabra- i am able to exercise, and i go to physical therapy for my back im just not able to do alot of hard things, ive lost 7 lbs since the beg. of jan, and i am in a Water arobics class which is good it is also less impact on my back, and i actually look forward to that class. i can exercise i just have to do things that arent too hard on my back. my dr. who knows my lifestyle and my med. history said id be a good canadiate for it. and when i told my parents we started looking into it. im going to go into my dr's for an appointment with my mom so we can discuss it with her. and my diet is changing and is healither its just so hard with being a full time worker adn full time student. i know that i can work out, walking and biking doesnt hurt too much and i feel like nothing hurts when im doing stuff in the Water, even just laps feels good.

Cocoabean- thanks for that thought about the fills. i didnt even think of that, but i also know i can get medical insurance thu my work even tho it is expensive it would still cover part of it, and my parents are going to help me in which ever way i can.

everyone- was anyone really scared before they went in, im scared now, ive never been in a hospital bed or even had an iv, im just scared and i know if i commit to it, with my parents help i wont be able to chicken out.

Congrats on losing 7#! That's awesome. I'm glad your Dr is supportive, that definitely helps. I love the pool too! My gym is great but they only offer 2 water workout classes all week (on days I work!) Stay in the pool as much as you can, every little bit counts. I also have good luck with the recumbent stationary bike because it supports my back, but if you have any knee problems, it may cause you some pain.

I understand how hard making good food choices can be. I use myfooddiary.com to track all my meals and keep me on track. I work 24hr shifts at least twice a week in a high pace, stressful environment with not much down time, so I have gotten very good at planning my meals, portioning them, and adding up the proteing, cal, fat, and sodium before my day even starts. Then, once I have everything in my bag, I just have to find time to eat it all.

My nutritionist says planning the day in advance is better than logging your food as you go, because temptation can win you over. Ya know, if you only have 400 cal sure go for the donut! It's working so far! I'm still losing fat and gaining muscle.... I gotta get back into pilates cuz my arms are getting too big!

I was scared outa my mind about surgery. I've been in healthcare since I was 18 so I *KNOW* what can happen. It's normal to be scared but you know you're doing the right thing and the anxiety is a normal stress reaction. Having a great support system in your parents and good friends makes all the difference. I have a friend away at med school who would text me almost everyday before and after surgery to tell me I'm crazy and I would be fine and that I know better and best of all listened while I vented. Others let me cry on the phone or whine about how liquids kicked my ass! Sometimes all it takes is a listening ear.

On another note, now since my surgery, one of good friends has scheduled her bypass, and at least 3 more are looking into bands or bypass soon. Not that I need to be an inspiration, I hope that my journey helps others start theirs and feel more comfortable with theirs.

Best of luck to you:thumbup:

Kim