Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating the wrong food

Hi, I was banded 12/10/2010 and so far it has been great. I've lost 25 lbs but havent' lost any for about 3 weeks. I didn't get "stuck" until after the first fill and it seems to be if I'm stressed and with chicken. I can't seem to cook it moist enough. My question is, if I'm still hungry after the right amount of food then do I need a fill? Even if I get stuck w/chicken? I can eat foods I'm probably not supposed to eat with no problems, like.... breaded prawns, chocolate, Weight Watcher Desserts and I feel very guilty that I've started cheating on my food plan. Should I get a fill? The nurse that does my fill is very strict w/her eating plan and said I just need to stick to it. I've had 3 fills - I have a 11 CC band, it had 4 CC, then I had a fill of 2 but they took out .5, then another .5 then another 1 cc and that was last week. But I'm still hungry after I eat. Is it because I'm eating the wrong food? Sorry I'm rambling, I just want to succeed on this plan. Thanks for any input -

I think you should get a fill personally....

Please tell us exactly what you ate today. Thanks, Leigha

7:30 am bottle of Lipton Diet Green Tea

8:30 am 3/4 cup Kashi heart to heart ceral w/1/2 Cup 1% milk

10 am Yoplait lite yogurt

10:30 am 33 oz Water w/1 cystal lite to go (peach tea)

12:45 pm went to Canyons and had 6 coconut breaded prawns appetizer w/tiny bit of peanut sauce

back at the office at 1:30 pm I've starving and need a sweet so I had 1 Cup 1% milk w/Sugar Free Carnation Breakfast and that filled me up

My opinion (remember I am a car salesman not a health care professional) is that you are relying on sliders. I feel that Cereal with milk becomes a slider, yogurt is a slider, the breaded prawns could go either way on the slider scale. All this stuff leaves your pouch too soon.

Can you eat eggs? Try 2 fried eggs (I keep boiled eggs in case I am in a hurry) for Breakfast with a sausage link or a piece of bacon. Then I am usually full until lunch. Then I will have a piece of fish (I have a kitchen at work) with a veggie (usually canned) at lunch. If I am busy I will open a can of tuna and add mayo and have 6 crackers. This usually holds me over till 3 or 4 then I will have a shake. I use the EAS low carb one (its ready mixed, plus only 110 calories for 17g Protein. Then for dinner, a slice of chicken (or other grilled, baked or slow cooker meat), peas (or other green veggie) and a baked potato (I shouldn't have the potato but it makes me full).

The lady who does my fill is also banded and she says that being too tight is worse for weight loss than being too loose. She says if you cant eat regular food you will be overly hungry and will resort to sliders without realizing it.

I hope you don't feel like I am preaching to you, I hope this helps. :)

that is very helpful, because the food that I should be eating I have to eat slow and I'm not very good at that yet. I have tried scrambled eggs and I got "stuck" so I will try the fried eggs and try to revamp what I'm eating. I'm not a very good planner and I used to eat fast food every day so this has motivated me to get back to better food. Thank you so much! PS you are doing great!

I am with you on the fast eating thing, its my worst habit. I got a fill last Thursday and I have to eat so slow, I actually get bored before I get full. I need to go in there now and try and eat the rest of my dinner so I have enough calories and Protein for the day.

Can you take your lunch? I know its not fun but I think its important. My husband cooks for us and on Sunday, he will cook 3 or 4 meats so that when we get home at night all we have to do is make the veggies. You could pack a lunch at night so you have it the next day. Boil a dozen eggs on Sunday as well. If you have a desk job you can eat a boiled egg without causing too much drama getting it ready. I have to cut this up into fingernail sized pieces or it gets stuck.

I do the worst when I am not prepaired. When I wait too long to eat and then I do eat, I am STARVING! and I am STARVING! for the rest of the day. (This is where the shakes come in).

Besides you have lost 25 lbs! Thats great. Just keep trying, it will all be good. :)

Leigha

Thanks so much for your detailed post - that is very helpful to me. I haven't started regular food yet due to being 1 week post op, but it is nice to see what a "day in the life" of a bander will be like once on the regular food phase, which I am very much looking forward to!

Christopher

Remember to eat lean Protein first. It will stick with you longer and you won't be as hungry. Yogurt is a liquid. Do fat free refried Beans instead? If chicken is a problem, try salmon (my fave) I don't do any shakes, only protien and some veggies....egg beaters and sausage for breakfast...good luck

that is very helpful, because the food that I should be eating I have to eat slow and I'm not very good at that yet. I have tried scrambled eggs and I got "stuck" so I will try the fried eggs and try to revamp what I'm eating. I'm not a very good planner and I used to eat fast food every day so this has motivated me to get back to better food. Thank you so much! PS you are doing great!

This tells me that you don't need to fill, you just need to try to eat better Proteins. Oh, and I can't do scrambled eggs, they stick most of the time, but fried eggs are fine for me. I can also eat deviled eggs.

Leigha is right about being prepared. It is so important. I made a crockpot full of taco Soup Sunday night. Monday morning I portioned it out into 1 cup containers with lids. I brought them to work for lunch and I froze some. I eat this with ff sourcream and reduced fat cheddar. It is moist enough to not stick and contains enough meat and Beans to be filling for hours. Find something that fills you up and try to prepare enough for a few days. It is also helpful to find a "quick" food that you can grab in a pinch. Fiber One bars work fairly well for me and they taste amazing. Good luck and try eating the eggs in the morning and see if it works.

Thank you for your great suggestions! :wink:

I think Leigha is right on with her response.

Leigha, you say you cut your hard-boiled eggs into fingernail-sized pieces. Did you know you can grate them? It is so fast and easier than chopping.

<----lazy in the kitchen whenever possible :wink:

I agree w/the responses you got. Solid Protein is gonna keep you satisfied the longest. If for some reason you can't get in a solid Protein, I recommend getting some protein bullets (25g of protein in 3 oz liquid for 100 calories that tastes like unset jello). For times when I don't have time to eat or am gonna eat something high carb (like cereal), I have a protein shot with it so that it will last me longer. I also don't like to exercise on a full stomach so I have a protein shot instead of a real b-fast before working out, then eat solid protein after.

I also recommend eliminating artificial sweeteners as much as possible. I know that's not something anyone wants to hear. I didn't like it when my dietician told me to do that. But, I gave it a shot and it really helped to get rid of my sugar cravings. Now, many Desserts actually taste 'too sweet' to me so I take one bite, but then end up giving the rest to my kids. Hard to believe because I really had a bad sweet tooth before.

Edited by adagray