Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone out there have any tips or words of wisdom for those of use whose loss seems to be going at a snail's pace? I'm happy to be headed in the right direction and I'm thrilled over the pounds I've dropped, but I'm frustrated by the rate of loss. Are there things I can/should do to speed things along - or should I just settle in, get used to it, and let things work over time? I'm 3 months out from surgery and I guess I expected to feel and look different by now, so it's a little disappointing...but far less disappointing than gaining 20 pounds would've been! :smile2: I suppose I should mention that my ticker includes weight lost prior to the surgery. I've dropped about 20 lbs since my 10/28/09 surgery.

Edited by Wanjiku

If you want to kick start your weight loss, you could try eating low carb. Or doing lots of exercising.

Or you could just do things in moderation and be patient.

I hate to answer some of these because the minute you say what is working for you, someone will come along to call you out and let you know you dont know anything. LOL

I am 4 months out and have lost over 100 lbs., but I had a lot to loose to begin with. I eat low carb and exercise daily. I eat more than most, 5-6 meals a day because my hunger is just aweful. Of coarse, maybe that is why my weight is coming off so fast, my metabolism is causing both the hunger and the weight loss. I dunno.

i am six months out and have only lost thirty pounds. however i do have hypothyroidism too but i was just talking to my hubby last night about doing the low carb thing too. I also have PCOS and my gyn says i should be doing low carb. along with my endo dr. however when i talk to my band dr he tells me the other dr dont know anything and just count fat.. and nothing else. I really dont like my band dr for after care, he is a good surgoen but he sucks at the after care. I am looking into changing band dr anyway. but for know I am going to give the low carb thing a try.. but it will be a lean fat low carb diet. By the was I had serveral friends do the adkins diet and lost lots of weight and keep it off for over five years now. But i agree with the last post... that is a touchy subject on this forum..

I understand your frustration. My doc said to expect a 1-1.5 lb wait loss after surgery so it sounds like you are on target! Someone on a different post mentioned increseing Protein, which would also fit in the low carb diet mentioned by the earlier poster. My sister keeps telling me the great thing about the band is you don't have to worry gaining back those 20 lbs you have already lost! (and before anyone yells at me about you can gain on the band...I do realize it is possible to "beat the band") Good Luck!

I know what you are talking about. I am 6 months out and at 3 months, I basically stopped losing weight. I was so discouraged. I gave up and gained a little weight back and I dont suggest you do the same. Just stick with it! Its frustrating and most people plateau at some point after surgery, but give it a little time and you will start to see progress again. It took me 3 months to start losing again, but I am. Remember, everyone is different, and you shouldnt gauge your success based upon everyone elses.

Carbs and Protein were mentioned by a couple of people but nobody mentioned what really matters; CALORIES!

Carbs, Proteins and fats control how many nutrients our bodies get; our moods and our appetite but they do not directly affect weight loss. It was good advice but if you want to lose weight faster you have to know how many calories you are consuming and burning.

You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. There are approximately 3,500 calories to a pound of fat. So, every time you burn an excess 3,500 calories, you will lose a pound.

If you burn an average of 500 calories a day more than you eat, you will lose an average of 1 pound a week.

Edited by btrieger
typo

All calories are not equal. Your body does not handle Protein calories and carbohydrate calories the same. It is easier to store carbohydrate calories than it is to store Protein. I am eating 1500 calories a day with 20% being carbohydrates. If I were to do the same 1500 calories in low fat/high carb intake, I would not have the same results.

Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates are basically sugar and starch. Apples, oranges, potatoes, grains, candy, bread… are all carbohydrates. Carbohydrates break down into glucose molecules. When used as energy, carbohydrates fuel become fuel for your muscles and brain. If your body does not have any use for the glucose, it is converted into glycogen and stored it in the liver and muscles as an energy reserve. Your body can store about a half a day's supply of glycogen. If your body has more glucose than it can use as energy, or convert to glycogen for storage, the excess is converted to fat.

Carbohydrates are divided into these two categories.

• Simple Carbohydrates. Basically blood sugar or glucose. Foods containing simple carbohydrates are sweet tasting, like Cookies, fruit, sugar, honey, candy, cake, etc… Simple carbs are already very close to being in the digested form, so they pass into your bloodstream almost immediately.

• Complex Carbohydrates. These are found in foods prepared with grains and vegetables. Even though both simple and complex carbs provide needed glucose, the complex carbohydrates provide several nutritional advantages, such as additional Vitamins, minerals, and Fiber needed for good health and performance.

You can maximize glycogen storage by eating smaller and more frequent carbohydrate meals. Eating less food, more frequently, and cutting down on protein and fat will provide a steady supply of glucose to your muscles. This will aid in muscle recovery after exercise, as well as help you "load" carbs before a workout or climbing competition. See also Carbohydrate Loading for competition and endurance gains.

So, the amount of carbohydrate you eat determines the amount of glycogen stored in the liver and muscles, which in turn greatly affects your performance level. When you eat foods like fruit, Cereal, or bread, glucose goes into your bloodstream quickly, ready to provide immediate energy to the brain, muscles, or other body tissues demanding energy. If glucose is not used right away, it is converted and stored in the liver and muscles as glycogen.

If you eat a low carbohydrate diet, it is less efficient for your body to store glycogen in your body. You may especially notice an energy drain if you do not take days off from your workouts routine. A glycogen drain will make you may feel listless and uninterested in exercising. You need to take a few days off from your work out to allow your body to recharge the glycogen stores.

All calories are not equal. Your body does not handle Protein calories and carbohydrate calories the same. It is easier to store carbohydrate calories than it is to store Protein. I am eating 1500 calories a day with 20% being carbohydrates. If I were to do the same 1500 calories in low fat/high carb intake, I would not have the same results.

The weight loss would remain the same if you burned the same amount of calories but your body would feel different. Your energy level would be a lot lower and your hunger a lot higher.

* I am by nature more of a meat eater than carb craver. So, I can't speak from experience, only research.

One question? Do you have restriction? That is a big deal. I am losing slow as well. I had restriction at my 3rd fill but it was short lived. I am getting a 4th early next month. I have lost and maintained 40 over about 5 months so I am trying to stay positive. Good luck

I agree about watching carbs and fats. I count protien grams and calories. My nutritionist says to get at least 60 grams of protien. Focus on lean protien as the base of your diet. "good carbs" come from dairy, Beans, fruits. Get 2 servings of dairy a day according to my nutritionist.

I also agree the bottom line is calories in and calories out. If your not excersising, start a program. I know how damn hard it is to start, but once you do you will feel great. Alot of people on this post rave about the wii fit, if you can afford to get one.

Thanks, all! I appreciate your replies! I think I could probably use a fill, but I'll work on ramping up the exercise, cutting back on the carbs, and trying to be extra careful about what I eat.

All the best to all of you out there on your journey!

I have 15 weeks out and i have lost 32lbs.. that is just over a 2lb a week loss - do I wish it were quicker - yes lol

I keep trudging along, going to the gym a good 5 days a week - also dealing with the possibility i have a leak in my band - I keep telling myself that 2lb a week is right on target with what they say is the healthy way to do this...

. By the was I had serveral friends do the adkins diet and lost lots of weight and keep it off for over five years now. But i agree with the last post... that is a touchy subject on this forum..

Keep in mind that doctors, as a general rule, know next to nothing about nutrition. Come to think of it...neither do nutritionists. They're just spouting the same 'ol, same 'ol party line about the food pyramid...whatever it happens to be at the current time. Bottom line...you need to find what works with you and what you can live with. Otherwise you won't stick to it.

I was on Atkins for 5 months and lost 70 pounds (from my top weight of 330). I've kept it off for 6+ years. No, I haven't been eating low carb all that time but I'm aware of the carbs and so my diet tends to be lower in carbs these days than it was prior to losing the 70 pounds.

I do better on a low carb diet because I'm a diabetic. I eat carbs, my body kicks out insulin which it's unable to use and I end up with these major sugar swings which send me straight to the fridge and more carbs and the vicious cycle continues.

Carbs and Protein were mentioned by a couple of people but nobody mentioned what really matters; CALORIES!

Carbs, Proteins and fats control how many nutrients our bodies get; our moods and our appetite but they do not directly affect weight loss.

Ummm...actually, based on my experience and the experience of other low carbers I talk with on a regular basis, not all calories are created equal.

I lost 70 pounds on Atkins in 5 months, eating nothing but Protein, fats and 2 cups of low carb green vegies each day and my calorie count (due to the fat and meats) was roughly 3000 calories per day. I did not exercise at all.

Now I'm eating roughly 1200-1500 calories per day, mostly protein and carbs found in vegies, but I have been eating potatoes, rice, etc. as well. My weight loss is averaging around 1 lb. per week and my mother-in-law has been dragging me to aerobics twice a week. Oh yeah...and I have a Wii Fit that I've been playing with every few days for about 30 minutes each time.

I am *seriously* tempted to go back on Atkins for the next month because I so badly want to get under 200.

Just a side note...I am a diabetic and so are those whose experiences mimic mine with Atkins. When we eat carbs, our body kicks out insulin. If we're insulin resistant (as we all are), then our body wants to turn those 'sugars' into fat instead of burning them off. Without the carbs, our body isn't kicking out the insulin and we're burning those excess calories more efficiently...or so my doctor explained to me.

Perhaps the results for non-diabetics would be different? I don't know.

Edited by ElfiePoo

Does anyone out there have any tips or words of wisdom for those of use whose loss seems to be going at a snail's pace? I'm happy to be headed in the right direction and I'm thrilled over the pounds I've dropped, but I'm frustrated by the rate of loss. Are there things I can/should do to speed things along - or should I just settle in, get used to it, and let things work over time? I'm 3 months out from surgery and I guess I expected to feel and look different by now, so it's a little disappointing...but far less disappointing than gaining 20 pounds would've been! :confused: I suppose I should mention that my ticker includes weight lost prior to the surgery. I've dropped about 20 lbs since my 10/28/09 surgery.

I had my surgery on 10/13, so not long before you. I've only lost 25lbs and it's driving me crazy!!! I was supposed to have a fill on my last appointment but the doc wouldn't do it cause he says I'm losing at the perfect rate. He says that I'd also put my body into "starvation mode" lately and thats why I'm at a standstill. I eat between 600-800 cals. a day, but if I eat more, I know I won't lose. Because of a medical illness, I can't exercise much so that's part of it too I know. Just getting pretty frustrated here.