Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Foods Have Caused You to PB?

I have had problems with grilled chicken. I don't eat beef or pork so poultry is about it. If I add some sort of lubricant to it it really helps. Also very small bites chewed really, really well. I haven't tried alot of stuff yet. Oh! Peanut Butter in large amount, like 1-2 teaspoons at a clip caused major pain. That was just stupid on my part.

I have to say...

PB's scared me before I had the band. I kept thinking of it as a real throw up or a very large burp with lots of food coming up. For those who are pre-banded, please know that a PB is really not a big deal. It's just a small amount of slime that comes up in your mouth & nobody even knows you've had a PB except you. Now, there are moments when you are in pain, but those are not considered PB's, that's food getting stuck & it happens on a few occasions - but you learn real fast how to avoid that happening again.

If the thought of PBing is holding you back from getting the band, you really have nothing to be afraid of. REALLY!! It becomes a part of life & isn't a big deal. Everyone reacts to different foods. Even the same person can eat some foods today & not tomorrow. It's a very strange thing!!

Today I could not eat a tortilla. Tomorrow - who knows!?!?

Good luck with your research!!

I've never had discomfort or a PB of any sort - I just hiccup every once in awhile (is that a soft PB?). I got my 2nd fill yesterday and today I had some chicken, acorn squash, and some green Beans for dinner and nothing was a problem. I've had sandwiches with doughy bread, tough meat, everything. Nothing is a problem. I can only eat about 3/4 to 1 cup at a time so I think I have decent restriction. But who knows, the honeymoon could end with the next fill.

Guest misswolfy

my problem foods are...

bread, cake, plain rice (sushi not a problem), Tomato skins, crackers, dry chicken breast, jerkey, and tortilla chips

some other foods that some cant handle im able to work my way around them by chew till its nothing, or adding additional moisture like sour cream or soy sauce and taking small bites

***KNOCKING ON WOOD*** I have not had one yet! But, I found that if what I eat has some type of sauce or gravy on it then it goes down great! I had some salmon the other night and it was kind of dry and I had to get up and take a walk and stretch it out and then it was fine. I had my first fill last week and I can really tell when I have hit my limit. I try to make the conscious effort of not having one so I quit early or go pretty slow but keep everything pretty moist and chewed really well. Last night I had some grilled chicken and I cut it up into small, diced up pieces (baby size) and for each piece of chicken I ate it had 2 navy Beans with it to make it moist. Just a little trick I figured out. I remember my doctor saying that anything with the consistency of chewed, moist cake or chewed up potato chips will go through the band so I make sure that everything I eat has that texture. Hope this helps.

So far bread is my only problem. I got the slimes really bad the one time I tried it. Lesson learned! I can eat chicken easily but I haven't tried pork or beef yet just because I do so well with chicken and luckily, I love it!

About a month ago I had my first PB after eating (too dry) scrambled eggs too fast. Took me 15 minutes to work through it. I slimed for several minutes then finally PB'd twice both times up-chucking a small amount (about a teaspoonful each time) of the eggs I had eaten. Finally got the relief I needed...wasn't fun!

I mostly run into trouble (pain in the chest area between my boobs...ok where the stoma is) when I eat too fast. You think I'd learn...well I haven't PB'd again so maybe..... :)

Breads are a deffinate no no for me....Soft tortillia shells...ouch!!/ I have problems with broccoli/pickles/chicken if it is to dry./french frys bother me/scrambld eggs are a big no no./Ican't eat cake ethier.all of these things usually cause me to much pb's or sliming. I avoid them. Its just not worth being sick over.

Thankfully I have not had the fun of BPing yet. I have gotten stuck once or twice. chicken was the first one but I wasn't listening to my body. I was talking and it was my last little bite, should have known not to stick it in my mouth. 10 min of walking made it pass and I was fine. Second episode was Bumble Bee tuna steaks (in the foil pouch) I am not sure if I didn't chew well enough or what but by the 5th bite I was in agony (not to the point of crying) but it felt like a tried to swallow a large pill and it stuck right in my chest. It took about 20 min to get over this one - a very airy burp finally gave me relief. I have lost 50 lbs (25 since surgery - I am 2 months out on 11/12/05) so to me a half hour of pain caused mainly by my inattention has been worth it. Good luck.

I can eat soft tortillas all day long, but lunch of turkey thighs looked in mole sauce caused me to have the dry heaves for 15 minutes. Chewed to goo, and still I had a miserable time.

my worst PBs have been on dark chicken and turkey. chicken breast I haven't had a PB problem.

Chocking a chunk of chicken thigh down my throat while chatting. Couple of chews, gulp. Followed by a feeling like I swallowed a sack of broken glass. Stretching, gasping, trying to swallow..the pain! oh yeah...finally yacking it up about 20 minutes later. I fought the band and the band won....won't be testing it again anytime soon either.

Cheeseburger in the car = puked all over myself - have not had one since

Mozzerella Stick at restaurant = puking in the bathroom - it didn't hurt - I just knew it wasn't going down and nothing was getting past it - have not had one since.

General Tso's chicken - no matter what I could not get it down - I chewed and chewed but I think the sticky sauce is what does it because I have no problems with any other chicken. Will never attempt this as I wasted a $15 plate of chinese food.

Plain Buttered Roll = puking in the bathroom - ate it too fast cuz i was too hungry - my fault - haven't done it since, but still enjoy breads.

I can't eat meat. I have had to become a vegitarian since my surgery. I suppose I could get away with some meat such as bacon bits or other meats, but since nobody knows about my band I just figured I would become a full-fledged vegitarian. The problem for me is that many vegitables also give me trouble. I had a severe PB after eating bamboo shoots from green curry. Whatever I eat, I have to chew it very well. Recently celery gave me some reall trouble. I am hesitant to eat new foods, especially in public. Good luck.

Chunk,

I know what you mean! I had lunch with my boss today and carefully considered the menu. Last thing I wanted to do was gulp,sweat, stretch my neck and rub my stomach while a wad of unkind food worked it's way down.

Happy to report, no ugly incident. Whew!