Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was almost to "sweetspot", got a fill, and now NOTHING!!

I am 1 year 3 months post op. had 6 cc's in my band and had some restriction but I could still eat just about anything. My surgeon and I decided to put another 1/2 cc in. That was Wed. I felt "tight" right after the fill. That night I noticed that I could eat just about anything. I had no restriction. I tested this out yesterday and I could eat ANYTHING! I have absolutely NO restriction! I called the office and let them know I was concerned. The nurse told me to give it a week. Has anyone had this issue??

I have heard of it taking a week or even two for a fill to "kick in". I guess it comes from swelling, but I am not sure. I would, however, wait the week before getting more. You don't want to wind up too tight.

Thanks for the reply. You would think if it was swelling you would be tight. I have always felt restriction after adjustments and this time it just feels like "pre band". Hopefully after a week I will feel some restriction.

I am 1 year 3 months post op. had 6 cc's in my band and had some restriction but I could still eat just about anything. My surgeon and I decided to put another 1/2 cc in. That was Wed. I felt "tight" right after the fill. That night I noticed that I could eat just about anything. I had no restriction. I tested this out yesterday and I could eat ANYTHING! I have absolutely NO restriction! I called the office and let them know I was concerned. The nurse told me to give it a week. Has anyone had this issue??

Yep...I had no restriction after my first and second fills (3cc on each fill). I had about a week of restriction after my third and fourth fill, but now at 7.5cc I am once again without restriction and I'm hoping next week's fill will be 'the one'.

I need to understand...you can eat anything? Well what are you trying to stop from coming through? I thought restriction was basically getting to the point where you eat less due to feeling fuller quicker with less food...

I mean technically, I can eat anything......as in any type of food. I have no issue with breads or rice, etc. However, I had my 2nd fill this week and I can feel that the restriction is keeping me from eating a whole plate like I was doing prior. But also, part of it is up to me to decide......and know, I need to stop eating. And I know with me, since I'm in the beginning...their still adding cc's...I'm at 4.4.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what your aiming for in regards to the sweetspot. Are you expecting the hunger pains to go away completely? Because thats just not going to happen....and even the nurse I seen at my 2nd fill said the "hunger" feeling will never fully go away.

Edited by flychica

It's a common phenomenon for you to not feel the feel for a few days. I asked my surgeon why and she just shrugged her shoulders and said it's one of those things. I have the same thing you do: I get a fill and for a day or two I actually feel like they've taken out Fluid. But on day three or four it kicks in with a vengeance. I do not pretend to have any actual answer as to why this happens, it just does.

. Are you expecting the hunger pains to go away completely? Because thats just not going to happen....and even the nurse I seen at my 2nd fill said the "hunger" feeling will never fully go away.

Interesting because that's not what I've been told. I was told that when you have restriction, meaning you are 'full' after a cup of food because your band is tight enough to keep it all from sliding through (we're talking good food choices, not slider foods) just as if you weren't banded, the nerves in that area now tell the brain you are full and there is no hunger. Maybe 'head' hunger, but not true hunger.

Interesting because that's not what I've been told. I was told that when you have restriction, meaning you are 'full' after a cup of food because your band is tight enough to keep it all from sliding through (we're talking good food choices, not slider foods) just as if you weren't banded, the nerves in that area now tell the brain you are full and there is no hunger. Maybe 'head' hunger, but not true hunger.

I agree (but for me it is less than 1 cup). I have good restriction right now. I am hungry, then I eat, then I am no longer hungry for hours.

Let's put it this way . Before the fill I could barely eat one boiled egg. After my last fill I ate 2 boiled eggs and 2 bacons and still did not feel full. I have always had a hard time with nuts and I ate a handfull of almonds with no problem. I don't want to load up on a bunch of junk but I just don't have that discomfort that let's me know I ate enough. Thanks for your replies.

Maybe they punctured your port or the tube that leads to the band at the last fill and now you have a leak? I sure hope not, but it does sound a little strange that you have less restriction now.

I guess thats what it is, some times for people its hard to know the difference. Or turn it off. LOL. And I also think people fall into that mindset that getting the fills is going to stop it from happening altogether. I know thats the point, to get fills to be at that point but I also know that my mind ain't there either...and I read about it often on here, others thinking the lapband is the fix all to it...

I'm going to be honest, restriction doesn't feel like nothing to me. Thats why we have those steps......on eating slowly and measuring, etc.

Hell I'm still learning but I also know its not going to fix that "I'm Hungry" feeling.......and I've caught myself saying, I'm hungry when my body isn't saying it.

Plus she said...she can eat anything, so I'm trying to understand what she's getting at, is it that because she knows she can still eat anything and she's doing it or is it the hopes that the restriction will force her to stop doing it.

Let's put it this way . Before the fill I could barely eat one boiled egg. After my last fill I ate 2 boiled eggs and 2 bacons and still did not feel full. I have always had a hard time with nuts and I ate a handfull of almonds with no problem. I don't want to load up on a bunch of junk but I just don't have that discomfort that let's me know I ate enough. Thanks for your replies.

My understanding is your not supposed to eat til you feel discomfort. But if your not getting full with this new fill, then best bet is to talk to the doctor. Its strange...and as someone else mentioned, it could mean a leak (hopefully not) and hopefully in the next few days it kicks in as others mentioned.

I'm not sure...still in the beginning stages myself.

I have had my band for almost three years and have been at my goal weight for the past year. After getting the band, I went to the doctor each month for "a fill." The band would stay tight until the end of the month....by the time I went to my next appointment, I was ready for another fill. One time, about a year after getting the band I returned home after a fill and found that I could eat anything. I had no restriction. When I returned to the doctor, the told me I had "sprung a leak." We discussed my options and decided to take the first option which was to substute the saline they typically use for a fill with another...thicker...solution. It didn't look thick to me, but whatever it was, it was great. That was the last time I needed a fill. It's been two years now and whatever he filled me with...filled the leak and has never evaporated.

Thanks again for your replies. I have gone by the book since day one of this journey and watch what I eat. No cokes no straws no pillsn, no drinking with eating . Low fat low carbs etc. I just know that I have never been able to eat a whole chicken breast until now. I go back to the doc on friday.

I am there with you, my last fill was from 6 to 6.4 I can eat as much as I want if I eat slowly...if I am hungery and eat fast, I get stuck....sometimes bad, that is why I know the band is there...went for a swallow test over the holidays and the tech. asked if I had had a fill, I just laughed, I know I need another one....I am practicing not eating between meals...but I can not get hungery or I eat fast and get sick....bad sick....It hurts...so I try hard not to let it happen....I know I need more fill...what was your surgery date? Mine was 10/13/08...wow that seems like forever ago....