Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

tell me everything you consumed on your preop diet

what did you consume on your preop diet ?

how long was it for ?

how much did you lost?

did you get sick or dizzy?

were you taking medication?

Pre-op diet for me was 2 weeks, I had 4 slim-fast low carb shakes a day (this was really hard - I sometimes didn't make it, but added non-fat skim milk powder and skim milk to make it up). I had a few salads with the spritzer dressing (but it tasted like flavored water, so didn't do much of that!)

MOSTLY lived on homemade Soups with lots of the non-starch veggies - like french onion, groundnut (onions, peppers, celery, tomatos), veggie stew and venison stew (with the meat and potatos removed). I made all with lots of extra broth so I could strain it and save some (real flavor) for the clear broth days after surgery.

I felt like I was eating real food, so wasn't too deprived - BUT the first 3 days were really hard. After day 4 I was ok, but did take those first days off so I could not be tempted at work with all the after holiday food people brought in.

My 2 week pre-op consisted of the following:

Protein shake for Breakfast (low sugar, low carb)

Spinach or romaine lettuce salad with red & green peppers, mushroom and 4oz Protein - choices -- boneless skinless chicken breast, or tuna or one egg for lunch.

Steamed veggies - peppers, zucchini,mushroom + 4 oz protein for dinner.

I would occasionally substitute a Protein Shake instead for dinner.< /p>

Snacks - raw veggies, no fat yogurt or no fat cottage cheese.

The first 3 days were the toughest but I stuck with it. Just take it one day & one meal at a time.

I had surgery last week, all went well and I'm back to work today. Aside from shrinking the liver, I've found the pre-op diet was good prep for the post-op Fluid stages.

Good luck!

what did you consume on your preop diet ?

how long was it for ?

how much did you lost?

did you get sick or dizzy?

were you taking medication?

I did the medi-fast program. This is 5 of their shakes/soups/bars per day and one "lean and green" meal, which is a salad/veggie and lean meat meal.

I did it for two weeks. I lost 8 lbs. I was not sick or dizzy, just hungry. I took my normal medications.

However, your pre-op diet will be what your surgeon tells you to do. You don't want to change what you are told to do without his/her permission. It seems each doctor is different. They have their reasons for their choice of pre-op diets. Stick with what they tell you to do :(

I forgot to say - I was on regular meds (bp, diabetes, cholesterol, allergies, etc), and lost 18 pounds in the 2 weeks.

Pre-op diet for me was 2 weeks, I had 4 slim-fast low carb shakes a day (this was really hard - I sometimes didn't make it, but added non-fat skim milk powder and skim milk to make it up). I had a few salads with the spritzer dressing (but it tasted like flavored Water, so didn't do much of that!)

MOSTLY lived on homemade Soups with lots of the non-starch veggies - like french onion, groundnut (onions, peppers, celery, tomatos), veggie stew and venison stew (with the meat and potatos removed). I made all with lots of extra broth so I could strain it and save some (real flavor) for the clear broth days after surgery.

I felt like I was eating real food, so wasn't too deprived - BUT the first 3 days were really hard. After day 4 I was ok, but did take those first days off so I could not be tempted at work with all the after holiday food people brought in.

Mine is two weeks of all liquids. The guideline is 70 grams of Protein and 1,000 calories.

2 Protein shakes

2 low fat cream Soups

FF pudding

Various juice, small servings

Yogurt

FF fudgesicles

Unlimited amounts of Water, broth, Diet Snapple, Crystal Light, SF Jello and SF popsicles.

I've only lost 3 pounds and I'm on day 10. I swear I'm not cheating, I think my body's freaking out. Most people lose double digits in pre-op.

If you're asking because you're worried, don't be. The pre-op diet is what I feared the most out of this whole journey and it hasn't been that bad. After day 3, it's all good.

My surgeon requires a two week diet consisting of Protein shakes for two meals and a bowl of broth-based Soup (can eat the veggies/meat in them) for one meal. In between I can have SF Jello, pudding, & popsicles. I've found that I have become kind of sick of Jello, pudding & popsicles, so mostly I just eat my meals.

I thought it would be extremely hard, but knowing it is for a finite period of time, I have been able to be very good.

Good luck!

Mine was 2 weeks of shakes, shakes, and more shakes. For excitement I was allowed broth, SF Jello, SF popsicles, and the standard Water and crystal light. The ONLY solid allowed was pickles....go figure...I ate pickles out the wazoo. It was miserable and I fought it tooth and nail. I took my normal BP meds and yes, at time was weak and shaky, a little dizzy but adjusted.

I had a liquid pre op diet, consisting of Protein shakes, fruit juices, cream Soups, sugar free fudgecicles and puddings, Water, Crystal Lite. Two days before surgery I could only have Clear Liquids.

I was taking blood pressure meds and an antidepressant. I lost 22 pounds on the pre op diet.

There was one day when I was really depressed about not being able to eat, but the next morning I got on the scale and found out how much I'd lost, and that made everything all right! :)

Debbie

Mine was 2 weeks of shakes, shakes, and more shakes. For excitement I was allowed broth, SF Jello, SF popsicles, and the standard Water and crystal light. The ONLY solid allowed was pickles....go figure...I ate pickles out the wazoo. It was miserable and I fought it tooth and nail. I took my normal BP meds and yes, at time was weak and shaky, a little dizzy but adjusted.

Pickles? Why pickles? :) I'd have eaten every pickle in San Diego County if that were the only solid allowed!