Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New member needs honest answers/ stats

Hello, I'm new to this site but have done lots of research. I had an appointment for a consultation for lap-banding with Dr. Noel Williams of Penn University but had to cancel. My Father's lung cancer reappeared and I decided without regret to help him with his treatment. Sadly he lost his battle a month ago. I hope now I am ready to take care of me.

I would like to know where I can view all of your 'stats' if you will. I want to know who your doctors were, when you had the surgery, if there were complications, any complaints, trouble receiving meds, staff problems and before, current and goal weights. I think if we post honestly we'll be able to more easily help each other. What concerns me is that I fear lap-band might not be enough. The RNY's are losing at a rate of 10 lbs. per month! That's incredible. Are any of you eating around the bands? Snacking is my worst problem.

Thank you in advance for answering.

Suzukimom

A better guide to how people do overall is in the medical journals. I'm one who has regianed all of my weight, due to having all the saline in my band removed, due to damage to my esophagus and its functioning. I don't think the band is a BAD chooice, it just was not the right choice for me.

I'm having the DS surgery. (BilioPancreatice Diversion with Duodenal Switch.) As you research, don't fail to check that surgery as well.

Good luck with your choice!

Sue

I'm only 3 months out, but I'm happy to share my experience so far...

I had no complications with the surgery. My first fill went very smoothly, and so far I have perfect restriction. I get full very quickly when I follow the food guidelines (Protein first, then veggies, then carbs), but I can still eat ice cream and Cookies without much restriction so I need to be careful with sweets. I lost 15 lbs on the pre-op diet and have lost 10lbs per month since the surgery. I'm sure that rate is going to slow down soon but I'm enjoying it while it lasts! Plateaus are also common with the band, but I haven't personally experienced one yet.

I have no problem with any type of food as long as I eat VERY slowly. As far as exercise goes, I do yoga once a week and I'm trying to walk for 1/2 hour 3-4 times a week.

Sue has a good point - make sure you check out all of your surgical options. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Good luck with your decision! :)

I think you'll find a lot of people at this site chose not to do the RNY (or other types of gastric bypass) due to the higher risk of complications and death. It tends to be a bit "anti-GB" around here, just like on GB boards you'll probably find a lot of "anti-band" attitude. :)

I'm not sure you'll get a balanced view polling here. The board is full of people who either need the support because they are having issues or need the support because they are in their first year. You'll have better luck looking at recent studies on both bypass and band patients (make sure you're not getting band data from a bypass surgeon and vice versa :)

My doc was Dr. Kevin Montgomery at NWWLS in Everett, WA

Surgery was 8/31/05 so I haven't had much time to lose a lot of weight yet, but it's coming off and I'm happy.

No complications, no troubles with meds, no staff problems (they offer great support post-surgery)

Good luck making your decision! Remember losing and maintaining is a lifelong journey.

Let's see;

Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey MX

7/2/04

280/225/140~160

I had no complications and no issues with the staff or anything like that for my surgery. I've lost 55 lbs to date, which still falls in the 30% to 50% suggested for the first year. Maybe not as quick as I would have liked, but it's better than up in any way right? The bypass certainly has a quick weight loss rate, but that surgery just wasn't for me. I'll need the most help when I get to goal keeping the weight off.

:)

Hi,

I can only speak for myself, but:

I had my surgery May 23rd in Boston, MA.

I have lost a total of 67 pounds, and I didn't need to re-route my intestines to do so.

The surgery was simple. The recovery was quick. I was back at work in a week.

In fact, I told only my husband and sister, and was able to get away with not telling anyone else.

The scarring is minimal.

The fills are virtually painless. I make it a point to go often. You will know when you need to go. ! I am up to 2.5cc in a 4cc band.

I never, ever, ever regret my decision to get the band. I consider myself lucky, fortunate, and beyond blessed.

I have had no complications or issues. I wish it could be this easy for everyone. Good Luck on your decision !

I had the band June 9th did have to go back in august because the port flipped have lost 40 pounds now it is very slow but am losing like the band a lot controls my eating don't regret it had surgery in worcester ma Dr. czerniach good luck

Well I am 3 months post op and have lost 60 pounds. I don't think that is too bad. My band in my best friend and this is one friend I don't plan on lossing. I can still eat a peice of cake if I want to at a party and that one little peice is more then enough for me. My fills have been painless...did get a little to full so I had to have some taken out, which is fine by me because that just means when I loss more weight and my restriction gets a little less I get can istantly get some more filling.

I have an aunt that had GB and she know tells me she wishes she would have had the band...that's after gaining 40 pounds back. She is trying to re-teach her pouch again but she said it's hard because it's already stretched.

I would recommend this to EVERYONE!!!!

I had my surgery in Texas the first week of June with out any complications just a little sore for about 3 days. I have lost 23 pounds in 7 weeks. I have not recieved my first fill yet. I am still a newbie and I pray to God that I succeed without any complications. The first day that I got out the hospital I walked a quarter of a mile. I walked everyday up until I could do 2 miles and that is what I currently do. I eat Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack dinner and a Protein Shake. I buy Protein Shampoo along with my other brands. I stop myself from eating because I do not want to mess up and have to have surgery again. I usually cut everything I eat in half. I take chewable vitamins, Iron, birth control and zinc pills everyday. If I have a headache I usually cut my med in half and take it that way since they are kind of big.

Well I am 3 months post op and have lost 60 pounds. I don't think that is too bad.

Are you kidding me?? THAT IS FLUFFIN AWESOME !!!! I pray I'm down 60 in 3 months... wholey smokes woman, your on fire :):D :D

Well I just has surgery Monday so I can't really say much. I have not weighed myself but I can feel there is some loss of weight (prob water).

So far so good, no problems with the surgery (but then I'm just out). The only thing I can say for myself is the gas pain was horrible, I mean horrible. It lasted 3 days. Today I feel pretty darn good :D

I went to Hackensack NJ

I have a friend who has had the bypass and also wishes she had the band, but she was 500+ lbs at the time and had no choice. She is struggling with her wl now as she has gained some weight. My other friend who has had the bypass had to join weight watchers b/c she too was gaining and not even out a year.

Its a personal decision.... decide whats right for you.

Hey there....Wanted to share my experience too....

-I had surgery on May 5, 2005

-Had surgery in Port Jervis NY at Bon Secours Hospital

-Surgeon was Dr Peter Kwon

-Started at 272 pounds.

-I am at 222 pounds now.

-I would like to be 160.

-I have lost 50 pounds since surgery five months ago = 10 pounds per month.

-I have 62 pounds to go~~~ I CAN DO IT~

-My surgeon gave me a script at my presurgical visit for pain meds...They were in the house before I had my surgery!

-I had one complication and that was related to anestesia...not the surgery. Surgery went smoothly and there were no problems placing the band. The hospital staff and the surgeons staff are AWESOME! Right down to the receptionists that weigh you in and take your co pays. These people are AWESOME.

-I do have ONE regrete and that would be that I didn't do this sooner!!!

This is the type of thread you want to find if you are looking into lap banding. Geezer...I think I kind of understand the type of surgery you are having, but I wonder why you have chosen this in place of lap banding. Just the words make it sound ultra invasive. Can you explain why you chose this?

I am 63 and maybe should just give up, but I would like to see the grandchildren grow up. I've been through a lot of heart problems, which have been fixed, and now I need to fix the weight I gained.

Am I too old?

I am 63 and maybe should just give up, but I would like to see the grandchildren grow up. I've been through a lot of heart problems, which have been fixed, and now I need to fix the weight I gained.

Am I too old?

You are way too focused on your age! 63 is only a number.

And why would you give up on yourself? Have fun! Live life! If you want lap-band surgery, get it done! Start taking care of YOU. You are only as old as you feel on the inside. If you feel old, then do something about it- because you're not! :)

I got just a little skittish reading about some of the problems, like esophageal, but I'm putting it to the back of my mind and just hoping it doesn't happen to me. I think I'm going ahead with it, but have a while to wait yet to get on the right amount of C-pap before surgery. I'm having it done at the same hospital I had my bypass surgery at 5 years ago, because I want the dr's. I know so well (especially my heart dr's.) to be around. I also want the advantage of being about 20 min away to get my fills which are all included in the price of the surgery.

I understand why people go to Mexico and I think for some of them it is surely worth it. It just isn't the way I can do things. Too many health issues to deal with.

GL all

Am I too old?

Absolutely not ! My Dad will be having the surgery soon and is turning 70 in December. As long as your doc approves the surgery, I say go for it !!!!!