Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am five days post op and feeling fine though just a little sore. I am miserably hungry even after drinking Protein Shakes, so I threw in a cup of measured Soup like Tomato to throw in a carb or few to satisfy it. But today after another Protein Shake for Breakfast, I was famished by lunch and had one soft cooked egg that I chewed the heck out of and one measured cup of soup and feel full and better. Can starting this early on super soft Protein cause a slippage if I am careful? I am supposed to be liquid only for 2 weeks untilm my follow up but have to throw a little something to maintain. I mean I have lost almost 10lbs since getting it in on Friday and my blood sugar is in the 70's(wow!)

It's a bit early for you to be eating solids, even eggs. Tomato Soup I don't really see the problem. At this point you want scar tissue to form and cement your band into place a bit, and for this to happen you don't want any pressure on the band. If you're eating solids you may get pressure on the band and you won't heal properly in the right place. Short term gain but long term detriment.

You're going to be hungry and there isn't a lot you can do about it. It's just a phase we all have to go through. My instructions were pretty much limitless liquids after the surgery to kill the hunger. You can puree more substantial Soups like bean and bacon to help a bit.

thank you..I didn't think about pureeing some bean soup..that would stick better.

I am five days post op and feeling fine though just a little sore. I am miserably hungry even after drinking Protein shakes, so I threw in a cup of measured Soup like Tomato to throw in a carb or few to satisfy it. But today after another Protein shake for Breakfast, I was famished by lunch and had one soft cooked egg that I chewed the heck out of and one measured cup of soup and feel full and better. Can starting this early on super soft protein cause a slippage if I am careful? I am supposed to be liquid only for 2 weeks untilm my follow up but have to throw a little something to maintain. I mean I have lost almost 10lbs since getting it in on Friday and my blood sugar is in the 70's(wow!)

It is always best to follow your own surgeon's protocol. This being said, food (even soft or mushie) causes the stomach to churn in order to digest which is bad for your band that has not yet healed in place. If your surgeon tells you it is alright to have the soup or the egg then I would say go for it, if not, I wouldn't advise it. Just because everything seems fine now doesn't mean you wont have a problem later on from ingesting food too soon.

The hunger you are experiencing now is what is referred to as "bandster hell". All of us banded people have been through this and experienced the raging hunger you are experiencing. Make sure you drink lots of Water. It will help a little with the hunger. Otherwise, change your focus....go for a long walk or clean out a cupboard or closet in your home. I prefer the long walk because it will speed up your weight loss.

Best of luck to you, remember, this hunger is only temporary and once you start getting fills the hunger will deminish.

It's a bit early for you to be eating solids, even eggs. Tomato Soup I don't really see the problem. At this point you want scar tissue to form and cement your band into place a bit, and for this to happen you don't want any pressure on the band. If you're eating solids you may get pressure on the band and you won't heal properly in the right place. Short term gain but long term detriment.

You're going to be hungry and there isn't a lot you can do about it. It's just a phase we all have to go through. My instructions were pretty much limitless liquids after the surgery to kill the hunger. You can puree more substantial Soups like bean and bacon to help a bit.

Any food including bean Soup at the liquid only stage is NOT A GOOD IDEA!

My surgeons two week post op instruction are liquids only...tomato Soup is on it or any soup that I blend or strain and 2-3 Protein supplements a day. So hopefully that one egg won't cause any issues and I will have nothing else but liquids until 01/25/10 when I go in for follow-up.

Edited by sld21

Hang in there, it does get better :thumbup:

I was banded 1/5 and have no appetite at all but I have to be on full liquids for 3 weeks. Being a nurse I am strictly following what my surgeon has told me to eat. I don't know how much was put in my band but I am thrilled I am never hungry. Be very careful about what you eat, there's a reason the doctors have you on specific diets.

Soups were part of my DR's first 2 weeks, that and yogurt, sf pudding, Jello. I ate Soup for lunch and dinner ..just has to be smooth - i loved the progresso tomatoe basil soup.

that's what I had today as well.

A Protein shake for breakfast

One measured cup of Progresso Tomato Basil and the one soft cooked egg.

Several Crystal Lights and 2 sugar free pops.

I am five days post op and feeling fine though just a little sore. I am miserably hungry even after drinking Protein shakes, so I threw in a cup of measured Soup like Tomato to throw in a carb or few to satisfy it. But today after another Protein shake for Breakfast, I was famished by lunch and had one soft cooked egg that I chewed the heck out of and one measured cup of Soup and feel full and better. Can starting this early on super soft Protein cause a slippage if I am careful? I am supposed to be liquid only for 2 weeks untilm my follow up but have to throw a little something to maintain. I mean I have lost almost 10lbs since getting it in on Friday and my blood sugar is in the 70's(wow!)

Call your surgeon's office, tell them you are starving and ask if there is something else you can supplement with. I was doing so well that I was allowed to move forward on my post-op plan faster than expected.

It is worth a call!

Denise

You have to figure out how to get more Protein into your liquids. I put meat into the blender and thinned it with chicken broth. I also added Velvetta cheese to make the protein higher. Also whey Protein Powder helps. You have to get more protein in and it cuts the hunger. Best of luck!!!

I guess since I can have any kind of Soup as long as it is blended I need to find meaty ones or make meaty ones. I am ok now. I had about 2/3 of an EAS Protein Shake and one cup of Tomato Soup for dinner and feel full. Hopefully it lasts. The little bit of carb (like Tomato soup) gets rid of my head hunger.

Full liquids per my doc included these items - creamed Soups - sf pudding - sf/lf yogurt - sf fudgesicles - sf popsicles -

I had pt shake for bf - Soup for lunch - soup for dinner - and pudding and yogurt in between

What is your doc's defination of full liquids - I guess I was lucky my doc gave me a whole notebook explaing what I could have on each food stage - I wasn't lost- it seems like so many pple are..

I found homemade stuff (make a pot of bean scoop out the Beans purreed them and add them back to the broth you will have cream of bean soup) kept me full longer and was more satistfing

I got sick of all the sweet Protein drinks after a while - I would even put unflavor pt powder into my coffee in the morning

You are in bandster hell - it's normal - just follow YOUR doctors orders and you will get threw this

Edited by IndioGirl55

I did what indiogirl said. I ate all day long in that stage. When I went to pureed I tried to eat every hour to hour and a half. Then on soft i ate less frequentlymaybe ebery 2 hours and so on. You need your Protein and liquids to heal, don't worry about weight loss in this healing stage. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup: