Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your thoughts on hunting?

What are your thoughts on hunting?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on hunting?

• Under no circumstances is hunting okay.
    • Only when 'game' is being used for food is hunting okay.
    • Hunting is absolutely fine, perfectly acceptable as a sport for the enjoyment of mankind.
    • Undecided.

Oh, well yes. I dont get the view that everyone has a right to a gun. That's a major cultural difference, I simply dont think that way, not in terms of self defence, or safety or hunting. I dont know ANYONE who owns a gun in my life and that's the way I like it.

So personally, I would view anyone who owned a gun and knew how to shoot it (outside of their occupation) as a little strange.

But like I said, its a cultural difference.

As far as animals in general go, they are put here for the use of mankind, and some for man's companionship, and others for food. They have no eternal souls that live on forever, so once they are dead, that's it. They're gone. In light of that truth, I don't judge others who use them as sport. But I feel that it is wasting God's gifts to mankind.

!!!!!

I don't think anything was put here for the use of mankind. I prefer to take the view that we should be caretakers.

I don't see why animals shouldn't go to "heaven" too - if it doesn't have any animals then it must be a pretty awful place and not one where I would want to be!

My family hunts. Deer meat is low fat, and relatively organic. We like meat. If you are going to eat it, the life and death of that deer is far better than that of beef cattle, etc.

I couldn't say only hunt for food, though. We kill the coyotes that come onto our property. They kill the deer, the rabbits, etc. They also have killed 3 of our animals.

I don't know anyone who hunts for trophy alone. They guys we know are a pretty honorable lot.

As you are aware, Pennsylvania is the last state that still shoots down pigeons as “sport”. While the 2008 legislature did not pass legislation to ban this egregious form of animal cruelty, we hope a bill will be passed in 2009 that will end this inhumane practice.

In the meantime, pigeons are being baited, netted and trapped from NY streets and transported over state lines into Pennsylvania for the pigeon shoots. As you can see on the Pigeon Politics blog, Council Member Helen Sears has provided the statutes of law which may make the act of pigeon netting a felony crime.

These pigeon shoots are held in secret, they are not advertized. Many of those who attend cover their car's license plate. They release the pigeons from cages. They also have turkeys tethered to stumps to be shot.

Those who participate in these heinous acts consider themselves hunters and it is approved by the NRA.

And it is legal in PA.

If the pigeons don't die from being shot, they are sometimes gathered up and thrown into a fire.

I see no problem with shooting pigeons for the fun of it. They are a nuisance.

Maybe they can include seagulls too!

lol, rats with wings...

These animals have a place in our ecosystem just like all other animals. And the pigeon shoots are not sport nor are they hunting. They are just the wholesale slaughter of an animal for fun. Of course you are entitled to support this and to think it's funny. I think it's sad.

These animals have a place in our ecosystem just like all other animals. And the pigeon shoots are not sport nor are they hunting. They are just the wholesale slaughter of an animal for fun. Of course you are entitled to support this and to think it's funny. I think it's sad.

Rats, pigeons and cockroaches are just a few of the animals that have outplayed their roles in our ecosystem.

They are filthy disease ridden creatures that serve no purpose other than to be a nuisance to humanity.

As you said, to each their own. I am not totally heartless. I don't think the rattlesnake round-ups are right but I won't get in their way.

these are animals that have lost their natural predators.

The main predator of pigeons is hawks. Of course a sick or injured bird that is grounded is in danger from cats and dogs. Owls also will kill a pigeon during the night. As will a possum and a weasel. Baby pigeons and pigeon eggs are in danger from some types of snakes. So, yes, I guess they have a few natural predators.

Also, raccoons, rats, and crows.

can we add crows and canadian geese to the list..crows are evil and the geese are just mean! :smile2:

The last time I noticed, there were an abundance of pigeons in the city, and not an abundance of hawks, etc.

The geese are nasty. They land in our field all of the time. Not many crows, but Laura Ingalls said they tasted good!

can we add crows and canadian geese to the list..crows are evil and the geese are just mean! :smile2:

While we are at it why don't we just add humans too? If the reasons above are sufficient justification for being able to hunt for fun then I think humans fit the criteria.

They are a nuisance and plenty of them are pretty mean too.

Humans have done more damage to the environment than anything else.

these are animals that have lost their natural predators.

Yep that is definitely true and as a result they are taking over land and resources meant for other species. They cull(fancy name for kill) elephants and other animals when their numbers get to great.

Lol. Cute. Glad you don't

mind cockroaches and mice in your home. Being equal to you, and all. We kill those too here.

Do y'all wear any leather? Eat meat? Eat grain raised in fields where they kill varmints and bugs?

Lol. Cute. Glad you don't

mind cockroaches and mice in your home. Being equal to you, and all. We kill those too here.

Do y'all wear any leather? Eat meat? Eat grain raised in fields where they kill varmints and bugs?

I don't remember saying that I was opposed to all killing but I do have a problem with killing for "sport" or fun.