Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who stayed overnight and why?

Did you stay overnight after your surgery?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you stay overnight after your surgery?

• Yes
    • No
    • I didn't but wish I would have
    • I did but really didn't need to

i had planned to go home but i couldn't shake the anestheia. i came out of surgery around 4 and by 9 both the surgeon and my mother were coercing me to stay the night. by the time they rolled me into the elevator to go to the room at 11pm i felt better but was fine with staying. after i got settled in the room i asked the nurse to just let me sleep and keep the pain killers coming. she was great.

i was up, dressed and ready to go by 10AM.

Wondering now why mine is outpatient surgery. They act like I will have surgery at 7:30 am and be home in the afternoon-should I be scared? I am insurance covered but my surgeons do all bands outpatient.

Teresa

I had my surgery in an outpatient surgery center and did not stay the night. I've never had surgery before, so I wasn't sure what to expect, as far as recovery goes. However, I think I did fine. My husband was there to help me on and off the couch, on and off the toilet, the first couple of days. He sat right outside my shower as I sat on a step stool covered in a towel as I showered.

I was able to walk in the peace of my own home, and just be comfortable (as much as possible).

So no, I don't think it was necessary for me to stay overnight in the hospital. However, each surgeon is different, and I suppose if you're having the surgery done in a hospital setting, maybe their insurance requires an overnight stay due to liability issues.

Wondering now why mine is outpatient surgery. They act like I will have surgery at 7:30 am and be home in the afternoon-should I be scared? I am insurance covered but my surgeons do all bands outpatient.

Teresa

Hi Teresa,

I didn't read any responses before I posted, so I thought I'd come back and respond to yours.

My surgery was at 7:30 am in an outpatient surgery center. I was discharged at about 1:15 pm, and home shortly after. I was self-pay.

I don't think you should be scared. You should be prepared, though. Make sure you have ALL of your prescriptions filled prior to going into the surgery. Know when you're supposed to take them, how you're supposed to take them, and whether any of them need to be refrigerated (I had to take a liquid antibiotic for the first week after surgery and it had to be refrigerated). Make sure you have your surgeon's number (mine insisted that I give him a call - regardless of time of day - if I had any questions or concerns).

Take a pillow with you for the ride home, some comfy clothes (preferably something that zips or buttons up the front), and slip on shoes.

My doctor installed a pain pump in my abdomen, which I took home with me, that delivered pain meds directly to the incisions. This helped with any abdominal pain. He also gave me a nasal spray pain med to help with the gas pain.

So I think if you are properly prepared with all the Rx, pillows, liquids, etc., that you'll need, you should be okay at home.

It is standard for my doc's patients to spend the night, but I specifically requested to go home if everything was okay. I have an 18-month-old daughter and I didn't want to spend the night away from her if I could help it. I had to walk around, pee, and keep Clear Liquids down in order to go home that night. I got into surgery around 11:00-11:30 a.m., got to my room before 1:00 p.m. I dozed off and on most of the afternoon, but got up and walked, then peed as soon as I could. They brought "supper" around 5:30 and I sipped slowly for an hour, then the nurses called the doctor and he okayed my discharge.... I'm glad I didn't stay the night, but that I had the option to if needed.

I stayed overnight- It was my doctors procedure. I was self pay- it never occured to me to see if not staying would be cheaper. I only asked for pain meds once-a slight mistake once I did i felt so much better.

I had always planned on being released from the hospital the same day as I had my surgery, but the surgery started out scheduled at 10:00 am, and ended up actually being performed at 1:30-2:00 pm. My physician wanted me to stay overnight, but I talked him into letting me go home. I thought I would rest better in my own bed, and didn't want anyone having to make the 2 1/2 hour drive back up to the hospital the next day.

I've done ok - a lot more comfy in my own home and recliner. I had my surgery on Monday, Jan 4, and I'm doing well so far. Already tired of liquids, though!

It was a insurance requirement for me to stay overnight. Since I had a hard time waking up, I probably needed to stay even if I thought it was not necessary.

I stayed overnight as required by my insurance. And, although the nurses did come in hourly, I was already up going to the bathroom EVERY TWENTY MINUTES, must have lost 5 lbs of Water weight in 24 hours ... lol

Also, my arm was hurting soooo bad. I didn't realize that it was gas and the nurses either didn't know or didn't mention it, but they gave me Tylenol and a heating pad and extra pillows. I really did have great nurses during my stay. They catered to my every whim ... that was nice. :thumbup:

I stayed overnight, I am selfpay and am having surgery to fix the port or replace the band this Tuesday in an outpatient surgery center so for my 2nd surgery I will be going home. I live 1 hour away so I hope I dont get car sick going home, that is my main concern. I think going home if there are not any complications shouldn't be an issue. When I dont feel good I always want to be home in my own bed and comfy pjs

I stayed overnight due to the anesthesia, I had a tuff time waking up.

I stayed overnight, even though it wasn't planned. A piece of my liver "broke" apparently, and I had some bleeding issues, so they were worried. I checked in at 530 Monday morning, and left around 8pm Tuesday night. I'm glad, because I needed the adjustable bed. My gas pain was so bad, I thought I was having a heart attack a couple times.

my doc sad I need 2 stay2 days I live in nyc and have ghi.. I was surprised at the 2 days everyone seemed to have a much shorter stay

I had the choice of staying overnight or going home .

I stayed overnight and am glad I did, it gave me a full day of rest after my surgery and the nurses were wonderful.

The surgical center allowed visitors early evening and even allowed our 3 year old grandson to come for a visit .

I really think the overnight stay is a good thing ..

Edited by cruzlady
typo

I was banded on 1/4/2010 and also had to stay overnight as it is standard procedure for my surgeon. I also have trouble with the anesthesia and vomited a few times during the afternoon. Once they found some medication to curb the problem I was fine by 5:30 pm.

I wish I would have gone home because I had no real sleep since the nurses came in every few hours and I had to get up every few hours to go to the bathroom due to the IV.

As soon as I would get to sleep someone would wake me up. The pain wasn't that bad I didn't ask for anything except in the recovery unit (which I was in for 2 hours waiting for a room). I really knew my nurses in the recovery unit well by the time I left.

I don't think I would have had any problems going home as I could keep liquids down, walk around and use the restroom. In a way it was nice having someone there to help if you needed it.