Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is your goal weight still considered 'overweight'?

I'm 5'7" and I always wanted to be 180. When I was 300 pounds, 180 sounded wonderful. As I get closer to that number though, I don't know if that's gonna satisfy me. I too discovered taht it is still considered overweight for my height. The BMI calculator says 155 for me to be considered a "normal" weight. I don't ever remember even weighing that. I guess I'll just wait and see how I feel when I get to 180 and make a decision from there. Even though, I know it's just a number, I can't imagine going through all of this to still be considered "overweight". Crazy I know!

I feel like Elfiepoo....I picked an ultimate goal of 150 which is the bottom end of "healthy" for my age, height and bone structure. I weighed 180 when I graduated high school and felt like I was a cow because I wasn't built like many of my classmates. But to be completey honest, at 180, anything I lose after that would be a nice plus but not a requirement as far as I'm concerned.

I'm male and 5'10". I set my original goal at 175 just because I thought that would be about right, but I really had no idea. Now I weigh 169 and feel that I need to drop another 10-15lbs. I would have never guessed when I started that I should weigh ~155 lbs, but that looks like where I'll end up. I always thought I was "big-boned" but apparently I was just fat, lol.

It's hard to guess what a good weight is when you've been overweight so long. Everyone is different. Ultimately the number on the scale is meaningless, you can just look at yourself and know when you are where you need to be.

I'm 5'7" and I always wanted to be 180. When I was 300 pounds, 180 sounded wonderful. As I get closer to that number though, I don't know if that's gonna satisfy me. I too discovered taht it is still considered overweight for my height. The BMI calculator says 155 for me to be considered a "normal" weight. I don't ever remember even weighing that. I guess I'll just wait and see how I feel when I get to 180 and make a decision from there. Even though, I know it's just a number, I can't imagine going through all of this to still be considered "overweight". Crazy I know!

CONGRATS on making it under 200!!!!:smile2::thumbup::thumbdown::thumbup:

I know you must be so proud of yourself. I have dreamed about getting under that 200 mark. Soon I will be following you.......

I feel like Elfiepoo....I picked an ultimate goal of 150 which is the bottom end of "healthy" for my age, height and bone structure. I weighed 180 when I graduated high school and felt like I was a cow because I wasn't built like many of my classmates. But to be completey honest, at 180, anything I lose after that would be a nice plus but not a requirement as far as I'm concerned.

I was like that too. In highschool, I thought I was BIG wearing a size 14. But now I would grateful to see a 14 again. I had gotten down to a size 16 before, I want to be able to do that again, and then I will worry about that later. First things first --- get to Onederland! :smile2:

Nope, I've got 3.5# to go to get into the 'Normal' BMI range. For me this journey was all about getting healthy and for me, that means a healthy, normal, BMI. My Goal weight is now 12# away, so even further into the Normal range and anything after that is just gravy...I'm sure my body will decide the number for me. I remember when I stopped growing in HS and I started putting on a few pounds, I was appauled when I got up to 152 (I was 5'9.5", I've lost an inch)...so I know that 158 is doable and it's not skinny. I'm losing slowly, but I'll get there eventually!

Would I still be happy if I never lost another pound, sure, but if I'm truly in this for my health then I'm reaching for the stars and I'm working to get there!

At 5'5 my ultimate goal is 146. My dr's say because of my muscle mass I will probably never get there and should set a goal of 185 or 175 at the lowest. But the first goal is 215. Then again I'd be happy with 250, the lowest I'd gotten down to in all my major weightloss was 287. I'm lower than that now (I think, I'll know for sure tomorrow.) So we'll see just how low I can go.

i dont get why doctors say this. No matter what you do, how perfectly you eat, the exact balance of exercise you achieve, you will lose some muscle mass as you lose weight. A lot of your mass is in your large muscles, which support your body - the hips, thighs, glutes. Your body needs big muscles to support your large weight, but as the weight drops, the work the body does to maintain itself is less and even though you're exercising, you do lose muscle mass.

What you want to achieve at the end is a good fat to muscle ratio, not just a weight. You can be light and too fat. Just as you can be heavy and lean. But you wont keep your entire current muscle mass because you get lighter, even the most weighy exercises are easier for your body. So you may indeed get to that lower weight.

There's as lot of stuff out there about losign weight and keeping muscle and that is the goal. But its misleading - because you do lose some.

Yep, you do lose some bone and muscle mass ---purely because your body no longer requires that sort of sub-structure to haul your body around when it weighs less!

Lots of things change, proportionally, as you become smaller.

I'm so looking forward to this!

And no--my goal weight is not in the overweight range. I would not have the surgery if my surgeon were not encouraging and expectant of greater success for me. I've been a thin adult--I know it can be achieved. I am CERTAIN that, with a band, it can be maintained, as well.

This was a matter of great concern for me also. I initially wanted my goal weight to be 150. I am 5' 8" and felt like it was a good goal. All three of my doctors, PCP, Heart surgeon and my Baritric surgeon told me no way and that my goal should be 160 which is what I changed it to. But, secretly, I will still try to make 150. I think I can do it with some effort. But, I believe my body will end where it ends and I will see what happens at that point. I am exercising a lot and building muscle and losing the fat so I am not sure how I will end up. I am hoping to be at goal by April.

I was just thinking about this earlier this week. My original goal was 160...simply because I remember when I was 160 and I was wearing a size 8 then and was healthy/thin...but when I looked that up, it would still put me in the "overweight" category (I was shocked)....so I've adjusted my goal to be within the normal range - will I get there? Who knows - after having two kids, it may not happen - but I'm going to do everything I can to try. Even if I can only get to 160 though - I'll still be WAY healthier than I was at my highest.

At 5 ft 6 inches, I am annoyed that the goal for me is 170. I will still be at least a size 16. The nutritionist ( a skinny dipsy thing) said I would be a size 8 and maybe even a 6!! She forgets I was 170 on my way up to 289(size 22) and I know I was at least a 16/18 then. All this for a few size drops.....But overweight is better than morbidly obese. LOL

Tracy - I'm also 5'6 - and at 160, I was an 8, so I don't think it's totally unrealistic - I guess everyone is different since you said when you were at that weight previously you were a 16 (?)....did your doctor's office recommend the 170 though? I'm surprised that they would actually recommend a goal that still leaves you in the overweight category (mine never gave me a suggestion either way - they asked me what I wanted to be and never questioned me or told me it should be any different) :(

That was the goal the nutritionist at surgeon's office gave. It seems like a number of people on this thread also were given "overweight" goals. Tis perplexing. I will discuss with PA when I see her tomorrow.

Wow, I just read your question and I'm 5"0 and I went from 202 pre surgery and 198 my surgery date which was Nov 2008. Now my current weight is 140 lbs and I went from a size 16 - 8. I guess it all depends on where you carried your weight. Since my weight was around my hips and butt and nothing in the middle. I have nothing else left. I get nice compliments about my waistline which I love. My doctor says I could stop losing weight now or continue to lose about 10 more pounds and still be considered overweight. I too would like awful! if I was to be at a healthy BMI of 120lbs. I just have it in my mind that I need to lose more weight even though I look great, and shopping now is amazing!!. Keep up the good work! and running by the way helps tones the body. Good Luck!

I am 5'9 and currently weigh approximately 260lbs. I began my journey on 4/09 weighing 325lbs (surgery/312.5lbs/June '09). So, far, I haven't really given much thought to a goal weight. I decided to start off by focusing on smaller goals:

1) dropping below 300

2) losing 50lbs (275)

3) weighing what I did when I got married (255)

4) losing 100lbs (225)

5) having BOTH my clothing size and my weight begin with a "1"

After I reach my 5th mini goal, I will probably step back and enjoy my successes and buy myself a SMOKIN' HOT MINI SKIRT W/ A PAIR OF KILLER BOOTS :(