Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told not to drink 30 minutes prior to eating or 60 minutes after. That's working for me now that I have restriction.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the great ideas and posts. I was banded on 12/16.

I've read over most of the posts here and I'm having a real problem with the fact that apparently when my doctor banded me he does NOT put anything in until the first appointment, which for me will be Jan 19. So, as a result, I can eat and drink anything I want and not feel any restriction. Two days after surgery I was having chicken broth all day and little else. However, I did notice that I could drink to my heart's content and never feel full. This worries me. I took a few bites of everything for Xmas, little turkey, little stuffing, little potatoes and even little spoon of pumpkin ice cream. I never felt full at all and my stomach start growling like after an hour. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do about it? I'm afraid I'm going to fail within the first month of this thing. I'm SO wanting to feel some kind of restriction like right now--when I go in for the fill, can they test right there whether the fill has gone in or not? I'm thinking maybe I've made the wrong decision in getting banded. Besides the absolutely intense soreness and pain I've gone through if this is what I have to look forward to, I don't think its going to work with me. Please---some words of encouragement??????

I was told not to drink 30 minutes prior to eating or 60 minutes after. That's working for me now that I have restriction.

I drink up until 15 minutes before I eat, since liquids go right through the band, but I wait at least an hour after I eat.

Sandy, I'm right there with you. Same surgery date, same starving. I do get a full feeling that I didn't get before but I can eat a significant amount (much more than 4 ounces) before I get it and it's gone quickly, definitely not lasting for 4 hours...I can chug Water without a problem. I'm trying to just stay active and eat fairly healthy so at least I don't gain....I will DIE if I gain!!!! Protein does seem to keep me full longer but the Protein Shakes appear to be going straight through and don't last me any time at all. Don't get discouraged yet! Hopefully the fill will make all the difference in the world for both of us!!

I'm in the same boat. I get my first fill Thursday. But as I hear from others the hunger is normal. I find that I try to eat sugar free Jello, popcicles or Protein foods. So to this point I eat about 5 times a day but keep the amounts in check. I am still losing weight but it has slowed down. I exercise a minimum of 1 hr cardio 5 times a week. I push myself hard. Since July 21 '09 I have lost 85 lbs.

Not knowing how much you are exercising I would try to increase the cardio and keep busy. I tend to want food when sitting around.

I hope you are right. I would hate to think I've gone through all of this at my age (I'm 57) only to fail. Find myself looking forward to that first fill==maybe that's what I need to shake myself out of this depression I'm in because I feel absolutely no restriction.

Thank you all! I love this site and am so thankful to be able to communicate with all of you who are going through the same thing as me.

So, here is my game plan:

- Tomorrow (today I blew it...LOL) I am going to eact more Protein and stick to the Protein and veggies. Also, how long do you guys wait to drink after eating? My paperwork says 30 minutes before and after, but maybe I should move that back?

- I already called and moved my fill up to 1/06. I am also keeping my 1/13 appointment just in case.

Thank you everyone - here's hoping for a better tomorrow!

Well Heather,

I am right there with you..:drool:This was my plan today also..and blew it just as well. Let's try again tomorrow. I have an appointment on 1/06 too. Hopefully, I can get a fill. My surgery was on 12/17 so I don't know. All I do know is that I have got to get this hunger under control! WE CAN DO THIS!!;)

I have read prob every thread on here and finally I find y'all!

I was banded on 12/16 and have my first appt 1/5 but I don't think it is for a fill. I do fine most of the day then late afternoon/early evening I am starving. I didn't feel hungry until this week. I can't wait for a fill. I lost 15 pounds almost instantly but stopped this week.

I have also been so tired. I got passed the 3 hour naps and returned to work but this is the latest I've been up since the surgery(10pm).

I hope it gets better for all of us.

I was banded 12/15 ... and have lost 20lbs. They don't fill when they do surgery because your stomach needs to heal - don't worry. I actually eat what I want - and am really not too hungry - but I go for Protein - eggs, cheese, meat ... that really helps. Be patient - you'll be just fine when you get a fill - don't worry!

Actually, my doc tells us not to drink until an hour after eating. Maybe extending your 30 minutes will help you.

That's great you were able to get an appointment sooner. I'm jealous (banded 10/21 and not getting my first fill until 1/14)!

Please let us know how it goes next week! Good luck to you!

I wouldn't get really worried yet. At your next fill, be sure that they withdraw the Fluid from the band to be certain they actually hit the port when they filled you last time. If the port was missed, you didn't actually get a fill at all. Also, it will tell whether or not any fluid is missing, possibly indicating a leak. If none of these are the case, it is possible that you just need a lot to get restriction. My friend who was banded 2 weeks prior to me almost 18 months ago has 8ccs in her band and I only have 2. When it gets close, even an increase of .2ccs can make a huge difference. Good luck!

Thank you for your morale support! I will try what you suggested at my appointment on Jan 14 or sooner if they will let me. My husband is having the band surgery on Jan 4.

To everyone who replied to my message about being hungry and feeling no restriction after my first fill on Dec. 16......crzytchr You were correct. The fill didn't "take". The regular person did not do my fill and the person who did it missed the port. When I went in on Jan 19 for my 2nd fill, the Regular NP at Phoebe Putney in Albany, Georgia, withdraw the Fluid to check, and sure enough, nothing came out.

So she put the Fluid in slowly and it took definitely took the 8cc's in the 11cc Realize Band to get some constriction for the liquid I was drinking.

I am now back on track losing weight.

I went back on Feb 16 for another adjustment and this time, I think I am a bit too tight. But I will wait and see how it goes over the weekend.

My husband had the Band surgery on Jan 4 and he has lost 46 pounds from Pre-Op Sugar Busters til today. I have lost 40 since my regular doctor's appointment in late October. Men!! :sad: