Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is salad a slider food?

I love salads and was told they are one of the worst things once you get banded and was sad about that.

So do y'all eat them? Wonder why I was told they aren't easy to eat once your banded?

I agree with you guys. I love how us americans think if there 2 pieces of ice burg lettuce in it its a salad.LOL Like a taco salad.What is that all about. Tons of greasy meat loads of cheese and frittos oh and 2 pieces of lettuce

I work away on the mines and I eat salad just about every single day for lunch, as it is one of the only good choices I have available (mine food is generally very stodgy and fatty). This is what I would eat:

Take a plastic food container measuring 5" x 2.5" x 1.5" and stuff it as full as I can of the following chopped/sliced veges:

Tomato

carrot

celery

cucumber

sweet red bell pepper

fresh mushrooms

bean sprouts

beetroot

drained canned pineapple

lettuce (only a half to whole leaf or so) or baby spinach leaves (half dozen leaves?)

To that I would add any TWO of the following Protein options:

1 slice lean fresh ham

1 hard boiled egg

1 oz cheese (soft camembert or hard cheddars)

1 oz drained tuna in springwater

1 oz mixed nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans)

This makes a large meal that makes me feel full all afternoon, I never get stuck on it and it is less than 300 calories (almost all in the 2 Protein options).

Everyone who's travelled has the classic story of an Australian sitting in the restaurant with a plate of lettuce in front of them, waiting, waiting, waiting for the meat to arrive, lol.

Marmar, that taco salad sound delicious NOT. Its like gg salad or chicken salad - that's not salad, its egg or chicken with tons of Mayonnaise. A few bits of celery doesnt make it a vegetable dish.

I find the cultural differences fascinating foodwise. There's always something to amaze me, lol. We probably appear just as strange.

I absolutely LOVE salads, but they are something that I am terrified to try to eat. I have this vision of the lettuce getting all sloppy, slimmy and stuck. Do any of you have a certain type of lettuce that you find easier to eat?

I never eat Taco salads from Wendy's or any other place. I was desperate the other night and have heard alot of people eat Wendy's chili and thought it sounded good. The entire salad is 500 something calories and I ate about half.

No need to justify what I ate...I have lost 40lbs in just under 10 weeks....pretty good I think!

My usual salads consist of lots of veggies etc and I usually have no problem eating them at all and they really fill me up.

I absolutely LOVE salads, but they are something that I am terrified to try to eat. I have this vision of the lettuce getting all sloppy, slimmy and stuck. Do any of you have a certain type of lettuce that you find easier to eat?

I eat a spinach salad almost daily. I always add a bit of red onion and Tomato, other salad style veggies, and top it off with a two to three ounces of a Protein (ex. boiled egg, tuna, leftover chicken breast, etc).

I haven't eaten iceberg lettuce in ages. When I get a salad at a restaurant that's iceberg lettuce, I eat the other veggies and leave the lettuce behind. I tend to think the lettuce is a semi slider food, and I don't want it sitting in my pouch before I have my entrée, just in case it doesn't go down quickly. I try to make the most of my nutrition choices since my eating is restricted to small servings.

Here's a very east Salad Dressing recipe I love. I've modified it for single salads. (I also add a tablespoon of flaxseed meal to my salad).

1 tsp olive oil

1 tsp balsamic vinegar

1 tsp lemon juice

1 packet of Stevia or 1 tsp of sugar

Pepper and other spices to taste

I made the same discovery a while back. I can eat a pretty normal portion and be well satisfied....a cup or so of food. BUT when I get my favorite salad (a salad with chicken, black Beans, salsa, jalapenos and a little cheese at Moe's) I can eat a fair amout more than a cup. So I asked at a doctor's appointment a while back why that was so. I was told that the lettuce breaks down really easily when you chew it and that releases the considerable Water content in lettuce (particularly iceberg lettuce which is the base of most commercially made salads, especially carry-out) and that's why I could eat more food. And I was told as long as lettuce was the larger volume of the salad (as opposed to lots of "stuff" on top of the lettuce) I was fine.

I never eat Taco salads from Wendy's or any other place. I was desperate the other night and have heard alot of people eat Wendy's chili and thought it sounded good. The entire salad is 500 something calories and I ate about half.

No need to justify what I ate...I have lost 40lbs in just under 10 weeks....pretty good I think!

My usual salads consist of lots of veggies etc and I usually have no problem eating them at all and they really fill me up.

Now I have heard Wendy's chili is one of the healthy choices in fast food (don't know I rarely go to these places) well never since being banded. I was frequenting burger king before being banded (also unusual for me) due to stress eating and that was what got me here 25 lbs in two months up!

I eat a spinach salad almost daily. I always add a bit of red onion and Tomato, other salad style veggies, and top it off with a two to three ounces of a Protein (ex. boiled egg, tuna, leftover chicken breast, etc)......

Here's a very east Salad Dressing recipe I love. I've modified it for single salads. (I also add a tablespoon of flaxseed meal to my salad).

1 tsp olive oil

1 tsp balsamic vinegar

1 tsp lemon juice

1 packet of Stevia or 1 tsp of sugar

Pepper and other spices to taste

Kiz so you find raw spinach ok but not iceberg? I wonder if arugula is in the same category as the spinach. One of my favorite things to eat used to be arugula, soy nuts and tuna (or LOBSTER) with olive oil and lemon. I haven't attempted the lobster and there is no way I am now as I am a bit too tight right now.

..Kiz so you find raw spinach ok but not iceberg? I wonder if arugula is in the same category as the spinach. One of my favorite things to eat used to be arugula, soy nuts and tuna (or LOBSTER) with olive oil and lemon. I haven't attempted the lobster and there is no way I am now as I am a bit too tight right now.

I can eat them both with no problem, but I find spinach and other dark leafy greens are both healthier and tastier. Even before banding, I never cared for a salad base made from iceberg lettuce. For me, iceberg is just a way to transport Salad Dressing from the plate to my mouth, but I would eat it if I liked it. I always try to get the most band for my buck taste and nutrition wise.

Here are nutrition breakdowns of iceberg, spinach and arugula:

(spinach) Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Spinach, raw

(iceberg) Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Lettuce, iceberg (includes crisphead types), raw

(arugula) Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Arugula, raw

I eat salads with no problem but part of the reason they are considered a slider food is because of the mounds of dressing most people put on them. Therefore slider. If you make a really good salad with all the good veggies and don't drown it in dressing then I would think it would not become a slider food. I choose different kinds of lettuce (romaine my fave) and cucumbers, onions (not too many they are sugar), a few green olives and some boiled egg. And very, very little oil and vinegar. Still slider I think and I don't eat them often but have no problem getting them down. Just chew well. Don't think the chili or anything from Wendy's is a good idea though. Just my option and my opinion.

I was told not to eat lettuce because it is a slider food due to the large amounts of Water that lettuce holds. I am also only getting in about 1/2-3/4 cup of food at one time so lettuce would provide me with no nutritional value. I would be better opting for some chicken with a few veggies on it. I have learned to utilize the space my stomach provides.

I have had decent restriction lately tonight after a hard workout I stopped at Wendy's and got a Southwest salad which is Chili and lettuce a little cheese and tortilla strips.....

I was able to eat all of the chili and half of the salad....this is way more than usual

wondering why I was able to eat so much more tonight??

I am over a year out and to this day salad is hit or miss. Everyone is different, if that yummy sounding salad you had goes down for you, go for it! Just keep in mind, if you are going to get any more fills, things might change.

After my last fill and my doctor doesn't think I will need another, I was having trouble eating things like vegetables, but after awhile things eased up.

I was taught that iceburg lettuce is all Water and little nutrients. I always go for the raw spinach, spring mix or italian mix. Plus I don't like the hard center white part of iceburg it is so flavorless. I was also taught that you need to eat Vitamin C with the spinach to improve Iron absorbtion so I like to add a little mandarin orange.

My nut said salads are very good to eat -

mine are romaine lettuce, cukes, peppers, tomatoes and usually some chopped chicken.. yum!