Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how bad is the post op pain?

You know I have just finished reading the thread entitled Everyone's 5 New Years Resolutions and now read the above reply. I would not be so rude as to tell anyone what they should or should not post on a forum or doubt someone's word. I think this forum is definitely not for me. But thanks to everyone who has been kind and polite - I wish you all great success with your bands and your weight loss. :confused:

Stick around Scooter...most people mean well even if their delivery could use some work.

Scooter, please do not let a few unkind words deter you from frequenting this forum. I do not post often, but I frequent the site daily in hopes of learning new and valuable information. This site and its members have been a blessing to me.

Now to answer your question, I did experience some pain and discomfort after my procedure. But I took my pain medication when needed and walked alot. Today I am 8 days post-op and I have been pain free for 5 days.

Good luck to you and I hope to hear from you soon.

hi all, im due to be banded next monday Dec 7th and i have only heard of terrible pain and vomitting that is non stop. i have only taken 1 week off work and then will be on holidays in a caravan 2 and a half week post op. am i crazy???? is the pain that bad?

i have had 2 c-sections, is that worse?

Gosh, I'm scared to say now, but feel it is my obligation. lol

I wish others who had severe pain would have spoken up, or spoken more loudly at least.

I hurt so much. Yes, I did. I felt like I had fought in the Civil War.

What a battle it was for me! It has taken me months to get over it.

Like I said before, I wished more had mentioned their pain and my shock felt like a slap in the face.

As you will read, though, for so many individuals, the surgery has been a breeze.

Good luck to you.

Hi,

I was banded on Oct 30. I had some pain, but a lot of gas. My surgeon advised to walk...I walked around the hospital ward about 8-9 times in the 24 hrs I was there. I advised my anesthesiologist that I get nauseated from some meds, so they gave me something for it before surgery. By far, for me, the worst pain was gas. But, I did use pain meds for 2 days following surgery to ward off pain. Everyone is different, just as all hospital stays are different. My stay was pleasant; my daughter, who had her lapband on 11/20, same hospital, was unpleasant. Good luck, and have confidence that you are going to do well. A good attitude is important. Karen

I never had a c-section so I don't know what that pain is like, but I did have a 9lb baby without any pain medicine and 15hr labor. My son is 21yrs old and I have not forgot how much that hurt. My lapband was nothing compared to childbirth. My dr gave me two large bottles and one small bottle of pain medicine and I only used half of the small bottle. By the third day I only took over the counter meds. I did have gas pains but it was only minor discomfort but I also walked as much as I could. I had my gall bladder out a few years ago and this was about the same. I must say that the first weeks back to work were very hard for me, because I have a desk job and sitting all day, was terrible. Everyone is different because I know someone that had their surgery a week before me and she had to same dr, but had to call to get more pain meds.

WOW! This got a little heavy in the emotion department. I think pain is different for each person. You cannot expect someone to tell you how you are going to feel. Just go into it with a positive thought and you will be fine. What ever happens, remember you CAN DO IT ,

I have to agree...I had no pain. I did experience a lot of gas pain though. I headed to the gym the day after surgery to walk it off and have been every day since. You will be a bit sore at your port incision, but should be fine. If you do have gas, walking is the best thing to relieve it. Best of luck to you and congratulations!!

OK time to tell you about MY pain....or lack there of..

I've NEVER had any kind of surgery or hospital stay..this was my first. I am sensitive to pain meds (had them after having my wisdom teeth taken out), so I was worried, especially since you're NOT supposed to get sick as it's bad for you band. The only meds I had after waking up from surgery were heparin shots throughout the night i stayed in the hospital, and anti-nausea meds while in recovery. I NEVER took anything else, not even tylenol, until I got home. I refused the morphine button thingy and had them take it away. They were amazed but i didn't need or want it.

Yes, i was sore. It was hard to move, and to get up and down, but it was bearable. Each day got easier and by day 4 post op, the ONLY pain I had was in the port incision and the gas pain in my left shoulder. HOLY CRAP, now THAT was some god awful pain. It would come and go, and oh baby when it hit did it hurt. But that was honestly worse than the incisions....I didn't even take the prescription home. Just liquid tylenol...that's it! Oh and liquid tylenol PM...you'll need to to sleep the first few days...

Everyone's story is different..it depends on YOU...just go in knowing that it's SURGERY..it's major surgery...and see how you feel when you wake up. If you need pain meds, ASK for them..if you don't, then don't take them! IT"S UP TO YOU!!!!!!!

You can ask us all about how we felt, but just know that everyone is different...

GOODLUCK!!!!!! And let us know how you feel!

Hi everyone. Please accept my apologies for over reacting. Think I must be feeling over sensitive at the moment. I could take the easy route and blame TOTM but know that at my age nobody would believe me :confused:

I must be turning into a grumpy old fart :)

Good Luck!! ( Just for a point of reference I gave birth to a 9.1 pound baby and I found that pretty painful!!) My lap band surgery was almost painless. I had some pain meds administered through an IV but never touched the morphine pump that I was hooked up to. I felt some basic discomfort in my abdomen area. ALmost like I did too many sit ups (which if I had done more some sit ups I might not have needed Weight loss surgery!! LOl) I actually stayed over Monday night (that is the way the center I went too does it) and left at 2 pm Tuesday and went to my class at 10:30 on Wednesday. My only regret is that I didn't do this earlier!!! Good Luck!!!

I was banded a week ago today, I was not expecting any pain. After I woke up after surgery, I was hurting pretty bad, mostly pain in my shoulder and every time I had to take a deep breath. Sometimes it still hurts but I am feeling pretty good now. Just don't want you to think there won't be any pain! Good luck!

:confused:

I remember waking up in recovery and it did hurt. Later on that night, I was thinking that I should be in pain, but I wasn't and that was weird to me. I was uncomfortable with the gas and for me that was the worst part. I only took the pain meds the next day and didn't need it after that. I had to c-sections also, and would go for lap-band surgery again tomorrow because it was a breeze for me. My aunt had it 6 weeks after me and she was in major pain for the first week. I guess that shows that everyone is different. Good luck to you!:confused:

I was banded three weeks ago today. I had a c-section in 2003 and remember that pain a lot. The pain from the lap band is nothing compared to it. It was mainly uncomfortable gas feelings (take gas-x strips, they help). I was back to work full time on day 7. I was tired at the end of the day, that's all. I travel throughout the day for my job. From day 7-10, I logged 14 hours of driving and felt great. I hope that your surgery goes smoothly and as pain free as many of ours. :confused:

I had my surgery on 25th November and I thought it was going to be a breeze. I had heard of the people going to work the day after and taking big walks etc.

Whilst in hospital the pain was not too bad, but the I did have the shoulder pain which is not pleasant. My problem started when I got home. I felt nauseous all the time and did not feel like the fluids I was supposed to be drinking. I was vomiting the next morning and was admitted back in to hospital on IV fluids that day.

I am back home now and doing well. My advise is even if the pain is only mild, even if the nausea is only mild - take the medication. If I had done this, then I would have felt up to drinking the fluids and I would not have dehydrated. My surgeon summed it up by saying - the surgery is the same for everyone, but the way your body reacts to it is different.

Good luck - don't be put off, just be prepared. Hope you sail through it.

:rolleyes:

I have been thru the lapband surgery twice, just recently due to a slip. I had zero pain, no gas, no nothing. I do know that some people can have pain. Both the port area and where they band you have nerves that can be pressed on which can cause pain, kind of like tying a shoelace tightly over a nerve.