Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Date Mid December

Hi Everyone!

I'm finally doing it, after checking into it 2 years ago. Im 50 and have 100 lbs to lose. I'm looking forward to getting back into a size 18, which is my first goal.

Hope to post and update often!

Congratulations on your decision!!!!!:Yawn: What made you finally decide to do this? I wish you nothing but the best.

Congratulations on your decision!!!!!:Yawn: What made you finally decide to do this? I wish you nothing but the best.

Dear Dulcevida,

Thanks! I just have tried everything from Weight

Watchers to diet pills.. I truly believe my weight is holding me back with my job too..Where are you at??? Have you been thinking about it..or already have???

Congrats PoppyRed on your upcoming surgery.

I know this is not an easy decision, especially at 50 ( I'm 54 and was just banded Tuesday). But being overweight is such a struggle in so many ways that to finally be able to get a tool that can not only help with the weightloss, but more importantly (especially at our age) greatly improve our chances at finally keeping it off!!

KUDOS to you, and keep reading and posting, it really is helpful.

Congrats PoppyRed on your upcoming surgery.

I know this is not an easy decision, especially at 50 ( I'm 54 and was just banded Tuesday). But being overweight is such a struggle in so many ways that to finally be able to get a tool that can not only help with the weightloss, but more importantly (especially at our age) greatly improve our chances at finally keeping it off!!

KUDOS to you, and keep reading and posting, it really is helpful.

Thanks so much! Im excited and a bit scared..my doctor has me on a diet of no potatoes, no bread, low carbs basically..So many doctors are different..I do this for two weeks..to shrink the liver..he said! Im not on a liquid diet like so many others...what did yours have you do pre op??

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Poppyred

Thanks so much! Im excited and a bit scared..my doctor has been on a diet of no potatoes, no bread, low carbs basically..So many doctors are different..I do this for two weeks..to shrink the liver..he said! Im not on a liquid diet like so many others...what did yours have you do pre op??

Thanks for any help!

Being scared is natural and only one of the several emotions you will be experiencing (out of nowhere) for the next few weeks. This is a rollorcoaster ride unlike any you have ever ridden before! Don't worry, you are not alone, we all have rode that same ride!:sad:

Yes, I was on the same "liva shrunking" diet. No joke, it is hard, especially at first, but as you go through it and start realizing the bigger picture, you become more submissive to the process.

There have been posters here that when they got into surgery their doctors got inside, then zipped their little incisions right back up because their liver was still enlarged. So this diet is for real, but the best part about it is when you start seeing those ugly pounds disappearing.

Gawd, that is such a beautiful thing!:Yawn:

Hi Poppyred

I am also going to get banded mid Dec, onthe 11th. I'm scared out of my wits as I didn't expect the date to come so quickly. I am like you, wondering if I'm going to be able to do the liver shrinking thing. Hey, we'll both do great. I just won't be able to do a farewell tour of all my favorite restaurants the last two weeks before my surgery. Bummer!:Yawn: Oh, well such is the price we're gonna pay for securing our new life,right?

Take care

Dulcevida

Hi Poppyred

I am also going to get banded mid Dec, onthe 11th. I'm scared out of my wits as I didn't expect the date to come so quickly. I am like you, wondering if I'm going to be able to do the liver shrinking thing. Hey, we'll both do great. I just won't be able to do a farewell tour of all my favorite restaurants the last two weeks before my surgery. Bummer!:confused: Oh, well such is the price we're gonna pay for securing our new life,right?

Take care

Dulcevida

I had to start my pre op the day after thanksgiving, thought it was the perfect time to start! If you are self paid they seem to schedule you fast....but perhaps its good that way. Even now I keep thinking I should wait..but I'm doing this now..I'm ready as I'll ever be. I took out some of my smaller clothes and that helps motivate me. My smallest size I own is a 12, so figure I won't have to buy all new clothes each size I go down too. Im at 22-24 now..:) I gave so many of them away throughout the years but not my favs! Am I the only one that keeps clothes that don't fit...???? They are probabally out of style by the time I can use them..but just knowing I was once there..helps! Love to hear from you all!

Hi Poppyred

I am also going to get banded mid Dec, onthe 11th. I'm scared out of my wits as I didn't expect the date to come so quickly. I am like you, wondering if I'm going to be able to do the liver shrinking thing. Hey, we'll both do great. I just won't be able to do a farewell tour of all my favorite restaurants the last two weeks before my surgery. Bummer!:confused: Oh, well such is the price we're gonna pay for securing our new life,right?

Take care

Dulcevida

Hi Dulcevida,

Well, its day 3 of the special diet and I wonder how many have trouble with this time. My husband commented that if you're doing this because you can't diet what makes him think everyone can do this BEFORE the surgery. He says I must be motivated as I'm committed to it! The price of the surgery sure makes you get serious about doing what you need to do to accompolish your goal. I personally do not know anyone that has had this surgery...so am glad to have people here to talk to it about their experiences. Have you told your friends and family. I have chose not to tell anyone but my two daughters. My parents are snow birds and when they return this summer to a smaller daughter, I figure I would tell them then. Hope to hear from you soon.

Poppyred

Hi again Poppyred

Ironic, seems like all the same things running through your mind are running through mine!!!!:confused: I too have heard the ,"well, if you couldn't do it before, what makes you think you can lose 10 pounds now and that you need to be motivated" speech. I tend to agree,which is why I was so nervous if I was just setting myself up for failure. I was thinking,hec,if I can't even make it past step one, why should I go through the trauma of surgery only to find out I can't handle the new lifestyle? However, I know we have the motivation to do it, and the surgery is a tool, and just that, that we will use to curb our hunger pangs. All the other stuff, your husband is right, we'll have to stay motivated to do it! Cmon, I know we can! A big thing for me is hunger, and if the band can help with that, I am going to focus my life to make better choices and stay on the narrow path to health.

I also couldn't decide who to tell. I have a brother who is very very insensitive and hurtful, and constantly tells fat jokes. It seems he is disgusted to look at me and constantly goes on and on regarding what I should be doing and what I happen to be eating. I have a book of things I could be throwing on him, but they are hurtful and I'm not into doing that. Thus, I have decided to tell as few people as possible. It is a personal decision.Nobody at work, no siblings, just the spouse. I don't need a huge support system, for thank God I have this forum. It really is a lifesaver to me.:)

Hi again Poppyred

Ironic, seems like all the same things running through your mind are running through mine!!!!:) I too have heard the ,"well, if you couldn't do it before, what makes you think you can lose 10 pounds now and that you need to be motivated" speech. I tend to agree,which is why I was so nervous if I was just setting myself up for failure. I was thinking,hec,if I can't even make it past step one, why should I go through the trauma of surgery only to find out I can't handle the new lifestyle? However, I know we have the motivation to do it, and the surgery is a tool, and just that, that we will use to curb our hunger pangs. All the other stuff, your husband is right, we'll have to stay motivated to do it! Cmon, I know we can! A big thing for me is hunger, and if the band can help with that, I am going to focus my life to make better choices and stay on the narrow path to health.

I also couldn't decide who to tell. I have a brother who is very very insensitive and hurtful, and constantly tells fat jokes. It seems he is disgusted to look at me and constantly goes on and on regarding what I should be doing and what I happen to be eating. I have a book of things I could be throwing on him, but they are hurtful and I'm not into doing that. Thus, I have decided to tell as few people as possible. It is a personal decision.Nobody at work, no siblings, just the spouse. I don't need a huge support system, for thank God I have this forum. It really is a lifesaver to me.:)

Hi Again :confused:

I feel hungry all the time too..so I'm convinced this will work for me. I know people can be hurtful, I'm in sales and feel that I have to work double hard to "sell" myself to my clients. Once I get to know someone my work speaks for itself, but I feel that first impression has cost me business. So I look at this has something that will help me with that too! As of yet, I do not have any health issues except obesity so know that I'm saving myself from some of those too. Most of all...doing it for myself to feel better and do things that I once did...spend time with my grandchildren more and have a chance of keeping up! I dont want walking up and down stairs to do laundry to be a real struggle, not to mention the strain on my knees..

What made you decide to finally do it? Were you thin in school? I was very thin till my Junior year..when I started my bad eating habits...no Breakfast, fast lunch at the 7/11 and then eat after school till bedtime..! ..

I will be anxious to hear from you as our dates are the same! ..I know we can do this..

poppyred

Being scared is natural and only one of the several emotions you will be experiencing (out of nowhere) for the next few weeks. This is a rollorcoaster ride unlike any you have ever ridden before! Don't worry, you are not alone, we all have rode that same ride!:)

Yes, I was on the same "liva shrunking" diet. No joke, it is hard, especially at first, but as you go through it and start realizing the bigger picture, you become more submissive to the process.

There have been posters here that when they got into surgery their doctors got inside, then zipped their little incisions right back up because their liver was still enlarged. So this diet is for real, but the best part about it is when you start seeing those ugly pounds disappearing.

Gawd, that is such a beautiful thing!:confused:

Hi How are you feeling ??? Are you on a liquid diet now?? Are you returning back to work on Monday??

My doctor didn't say I had to lose weight before surgery but he expects that if you do the pre diet faithfully you are going to be down..at least 8-10 lbs. He showed me pictures of the differnce in the liver ..thats something you cant forget!

I work in an office and wasnt sure how much time I would need off. I'm the boss and no one knows so am going to have to play off going Christmas shopping for the time Im off for surgery..which is sort of the truth..this is my christmas present to myself! I have to drive five hours to have surgery and stay there overnight for three days. Im happy my husband has the time off to go with me ..I know I'll need him...Cant wait till I can start the pound counter and hope you can help me with that when the time comes!

Hope to hear from you, and how you are feeling the first week since you've been banded...

Thanks!

Honestly I'm doing it for my kids as I want to be there for them when they grow up. I have had times where I think career wise it may have cost me, so I'm sure this will help, but I do good work, so I don't much care what anyone thinks if they are not judging me solely on the quality of my work. I've always been a happy person, so that's not an issue. Once the kids came along I felt I had to be more responsible, and thus, here I am. Fell off the shrinktheliver wagon big time today, but tomorrow will be another day. I'm running out of time and excuses, so we continue to move forward.:confused:

Honestly I'm doing it for my kids as I want to be there for them when they grow up. I have had times where I think career wise it may have cost me, so I'm sure this will help, but I do good work, so I don't much care what anyone thinks if they are not judging me solely on the quality of my work. I've always been a happy person, so that's not an issue. Once the kids came along I felt I had to be more responsible, and thus, here I am. Fell off the shrinktheliver wagon big time today, but tomorrow will be another day. I'm running out of time and excuses, so we continue to move forward.:confused:

Another day, I did it! Im just counting one day at a time but this is making me feel a little jittery and all. Just do the "instant forgiveness" and start again.. I know you can do this ! Keep me posted..take care!

Dulce, I'm on day six of a ten day preop liquid diet, and yes, it sucks royally! It's so mentally challenging! I've never noticed what easy access we have to feed everywhere we turn! I am bummed that I made it through the first five days perfectly, but today, I caved and ate a piece of turkey lunch meet and 1/2 banana. I hope I can behave the rest of the week. Man is it hard!

As for telling people, I've told less than 10, including my family. I just don't want people judging me and feel it's not their business anyway.

Good luck!!

Melissa

Big Lake, MN