Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liver transplant and lapband

I have my LAP-BAND® surgery scheduled for January 4th but am now getting really anxious about my decision. You see, I had a liver transplant on April23rd of 2008 and so far have been doing great. I had my second meeting with the LAP-BAND® Dr. yesterday and he explained that in order to place the band they have to lift your liver to place it. This really scared me and I told him that but he assured me that he knows what he's doing and it will be ok. He used to work in transplant before going to the LAP-BAND® surgery so I think he should know what he's doing and what I'm up against. He also said that because of my transplant I have a lot of scar tissue that he will have to work around so that kind of made me feel even worse. I know I need to lose this weight but I know that my liver is more important to me that the weight and a liver transplant is an awful thing to go through and I sure don't want to have to repeat it if something were to happen because of this surgery. I'm asking everyone to please pray for me to make the right decision, I don't have long to make up my mind. I really only need to lose 50-60 lbs. so I do wish I could do this on my own but I have tried many times and failed.

Thanks for listening and I hope all of you are having a good day and have a Wonderful Thanksgiving next week.:confused:

Hey ConB113 my husband just had a transplant may2009 and he is doing so well. Have you talked to you liver doctor yet? (I'm sure you have) I know my husband was on Prednisone and they say it will make you gain weight. Is your liver doctor on you to lose the weight ? I know they told us that it would be very hard on my husband if they had to open him up for anything else. Where did you have your transplant done? My husbad had it done in Houston Tx. at Methodist hospital. Sorry don't mean to focus on your transplant. It just amazes me your liver doctor says it is OK. If you do go on with having the lap-band I do wish you all the luck. I just had the lap-band done on nov. 12th . I know if you can go through the transplant you can go through this!!Good Luck and let me know how you did!!!!!!

I've had a few kidney surgeries and I also have a VP shunt (for Water on my brain) and the shunt runs from my brain and drains into my stomach. I also had a feeding tube placed at one time. My bariatric surgeon said he needed me op-record from those surgeries so that he knew what to expect once they opened me up. You may want to see if you can get your op-record from the liver transplant so that you bariatric surgeon can at least get an idea if what your insides may look like. It was easy for me to get mine, I just had to call my neurologist's office and they printed me a copy and I picked it up. If you're worried about the liver transplant, I would at least get your op-record and give it to the bariatric surgeon. It may help put your mind at ease.

Hey ConB113 my husband just had a transplant may2009 and he is doing so well. Have you talked to you liver doctor yet? (I'm sure you have) I know my husband was on Prednisone and they say it will make you gain weight. Is your liver doctor on you to lose the weight ? I know they told us that it would be very hard on my husband if they had to open him up for anything else. Where did you have your transplant done? My husbad had it done in Houston Tx. at Methodist hospital. Sorry don't mean to focus on your transplant. It just amazes me your liver doctor says it is OK. If you do go on with having the lap-band®® I do wish you all the luck. I just had the lap-band®® done on nov. 12th . I know if you can go through the transplant you can go through this!!Good Luck and let me know how you did!!!!!!

Thanks for your reply and tell your husband that I wish him continued success with the transplant (was it his liver?)

As far as my liver doctor goes, I really haven't spoken directly with him but have talked to my nurse coordinator about the LAP-BAND® and she seemed to think it would be o.k.

I am definately going to call him on Monday and get his opinion before I go through with it. I know that 6 months after my transplant I had a very large hernia on my stomach, about the size of a canaloupe, and he did surgery to repair that (same surgeon) so I am thinking he will be ok with the LAP-BAND® too. I will post again after I speak with him. I do know that prednisone makes you gain a lot of weight but I was only on that about 6 months after transplant so I know that's not my problem with this weight I now have.

How have you been since your LAP-BAND®? Are you finding it easy or having any problems? I am still trying to get peace about having it done and so far that hasn't happened so I will just keep praying that my answer will come soon!!

keep in touch and let me know how you and your husband are both doing. I love to talk with other transplant patients and their families. You can e-mail me personally if you want to at Connie_Blackmon@bellsouth.net I would be happy to hear from you at any time. God Bless :thumbup:

yes it was the liver > He is doing good. I say good as we speak he is here at the hospital , because his liver numbers are up a little they just want to check him out. Now as for me I m doing real good. I hurt a little after the surgery but by day 3 it was nothing. I m on ful liquids right now and I go to mushie food on thanksgiving day.....yea for me. I guess I just have it in my head I really want to do this so it's not so hard . I know you will do what your heart says to do. Don't worry if the surgeons say it OK to do this then I would . I have been overweight for almost 33 years and I was sooooo ready for it. Good luck to you and let me know what you do.