Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this really worth it??

I am only 8 weeks out, but I have noticed my relationship with food has changed a lot. I am a "glass half full" person, so I actually like that I have to eat tiny amounts. My mother was always little, and I used to watch her eat. She ate slowly, and was always the last one at the table after everyone else had gone to do something else. She could leave one bite of food on her plate. I thought that was amazing. I used to try to be like her, but I wasn't like her so it always failed. So now that I have to eat slow, I like it. I am also very much particular about the things I choose. I start thinking about what sounds truly good about 2 hours before meal time, and I try to have it if it is available. Sometimes I make a trip to the store and get it. Last night I wanted fried chicken, so I got three thighs at the store deli. I ate one and I have two lunches for work left over. By the way, I love chicken skin, but I found it imposible to eat even one bite of that because it never gets chewed. (Glass half full) I don't have to worry anymore about liking chicken skin and not being able to have it because it is fattening. Yippie!!!!

This is an interesting thread. I'm new to the forum, but I'm a couple of weeks short of the three year mark since I had my LAP-BAND® surgery... Over the past three years there have been definate moments when I wondered if it was worth it or if (as my sister (who lost the same amount of weight on her own) still claims) I could've lost the weight myself.

In the long run, it was worth it. :thumbup: In the short run, sometimes its been annoying as hell. The last year in particular has been a bit like that at times, as I got to my goal weight then promptly had problems with indigestion (my doc didn't tell me about that side effect!), so had to have the band unfilled a bit. Have been putting on weight again and finally had it refilled a little a couple of weeks ago and I'm only just managing a 'normal' meal again (which is still about half the size of what I could eat a month ago). The fill-doc said at the appointment that I'm sensitive, but going out with family that evening and only managing a few spoonfuls of Soup is a bit ridiculous in my opinion... Related to that, has anyone else found they're particularly sensitive to fills if they haven't had one in a while (say... 6 or 8 months)?

Also, MrsBerggren mentioned a couple of posts up about forgetting about the band and eating fast accidentally - I've been living with my SO for a year who's eating slower now because he's used to my eating speed, but visiting family gets annoying sometimes as old habits tend to come back and I really have to think about the eating speed (they all eat fast and aren't used to me eating slowly). Ah well.

Fortunately I think in the long run the frustrations are generally small compared to everything else. I have to admit one of the advantages is eating such small amounts that despite being a university student on a limited budget I can buy whatever fancy food I want because it lasts multiple meals rather than just one. :lol:

Mari before you go for an unfill try two days of liquids then mushies to give yourself a break - maybe the stuck episode irritated you as the other poster said.

I seem to have PB episodes but they are more the first bite thing - a little slime, then suddenly I can eat again... its weird. I've only had two fills I think at 6cc (I'm at 5.2) I'll prob be good and maybe too tight since i do have the pb's now. Then again given what I can eat after them and some other days the pb's seem behavioral.

anyway i digress... my brother has said he could never do this surgery he just likes to eat and feel belly full. Me I don't really care being thin is more impt to me... would i like to eat whatever AND be thin yes but that isn't happening so this is it for me. I'm really happy i did this. I've lost more than I have in probably 15 years (I have always been able to lose 20 lbs) then I would regain. I'm close to a weight i haven't seen in two years and 10 lbs lower than that probably I haven't seen in 10 years!