Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your trigger foods?

Just curious to see what people's trigger foods are, and if after banding, they still present a problem.

I'll start, I have two. Pasta and Tootsie Pops lollipops.

I haven't eaten pasta since banding, been afraid I couldn't limit myself. At Halloween, I thought let me try one lollipop, afterall I was 5 mos out at that time and figured I had everything under control.

I had one lollipop one day, two the next and you can guess the rest. Bag gone, felt out of control, trigger still there, lesson learned.

Potato chips are a big one for me, but after my last fill I just can not eat them. Even a couple chips cause me pain even if I chew them very well. I guess it's a good thing because potato chips make me FAT!

chocolate, even 1 bite, sends me on a binge, the latest of which lasted 3 whole days and 4 bags of Dove and Bliss chocolates. I refuse to weigh myself because I don't want to change my ticker!!!!

Mimi

I have so many...

Chinese food is definately one. White rice. I really miss sticky white rice. A lot of grains, really. It's good that I don't tolerate them well now, so I don't give in for fear of getting stuck.

Surprisingly, I'm okay with chocolate. I'm a broke college student and I recently found out how much better dark chocolate is for you than milk chocolate. I learned to love it... and I bought some really expensive (for me) 65% dark chocolate. One piece every other day or week is enough to keep me happy.

definitely the same foods as before surgery - biscuits (well, we call them biscuits, you call them cookies), cakes, muffins, slices - any sweet carb like that.

dont often eat muffins or donuts anymore, they hurt and are not that pleasant. Cake too. But ordinary supermarket bought biscuits - plain sweet ones, not overly fond of chocolte bikkies - I can stil scarf down an ENTIRE packet with coffee.

I just dont start on those foods. I dont do low carb but I try to stay far away from processed carbs like those.

I'm also a bit bad with salted nuts - peanuts, cashews and macadamias, mmmmm.

But ice cream, chips and those stupid confectionary coffee type drinks full of whipped cream, milk shakes etc I dont have any interest in those and never did. Nor do I tend to overeat "meal" foods like rice, Pasta, steak etc. I dont get tempted by things like kFC and McDonalds either unless I've got a particular craving. Whilst I ate more of them before surgery than I do now, they werent real problem foods for me.

My problem is still and has always been starch. Potatoes, crackers, breads, not Pasta so much but anything fried and breaded look out. I just made up my mind not to go to those things once I was banded and so far have done well. I have only had bread a couple of times and very very little of it. I just don't eat anything fried or fast food. Just isn't worth it. I don't eat red meat much anymore either. I tried a piece of lean steak the other day and almost gagged on the taste. Not the consistency just the taste. Just don't care for it anymore.

Um anything.

I really don't have one thing that will drive a binge. It starts oh I'll just have a....whatever, something healthy even....but it's more then I need. And that can start a two day "snacking" binge where I will just graze. Not necessarily all bad foods but just more than I need to eat. It sucks!

So I need to constantly stay vigilant! Oh and sometimes I babysit for a friend and for some reason that is a HUGE trigger too. I think it's a bad habit from Childhood. You babysit and find all of their snack foods!

Right now I am doing a DO OVER! Or a pouch test, whatever you want to call it. So I am using Slimfast for my liquid Protein. I tell my husband it's my Methadone. Since food is like Heroin for me it makes sence that Slimfast would be the substitute to keep me from the hard stuff lol!

~A

Ice cream....LOVE IT. 3 1/3 weeks without it so far. I won't even let DH bring it into the house. We had my mother in law come to stay the weekend and she wanted to go buy some for her and I begged her not to bring it into the house. I know that is selfish, but I just couldn't handle it being here.

I do the snacking binge thing too - again, not necessarily bad foods, just grazing constantly and never eating meals.

I find the lapband has actually WORSENED this habit in me. I just dont fancy the effort and difficult foods a meal entails and will just graze on easy stuff constantly. I have to constantly stop myself doing this.

It was always my problem pre band as well, whenever i *forced* myself to eat bigger meals, I would eat less and better overall.

Bands arent supposed to be good for people like me - sweet toothed grazers. But its worked brilliantly and even when i fall back into these bad habits, I dont gain weight.

Alot of interesting answers. I guess certain foods just can't be eaten in moderation.

I found the babysitter comment intriguing. Maybe I should start a thread about the people/situations that cause us to overeat. You could have "cake" in the house/office everyday and not eat it, but then someone or something sets you off. What do you think?

Thanks for replying.

Samantha :-)

PS- I was having a conversation at church yesterday about my Tootsie Pop addiction. One of the two ladies I was talking to, excused herself and then got her purse and pulled out a Tootsie Pop to see if I would be "tempted". I wanted to say something very unladylike, but didn't. But I must tell you, that did hurt. (sigh)

Coco puffs cereal...OMG !!! I don't even buy it any more and my kids love it to death. It is a slider food and I can eat two bowls at one sitting. it sets me back a lot, I had to stop buying it.

This might seem odd, but pre-banding my trigger food was diet coke. I always wanted to eat junk with my diet coke. I liked the way toasted pop-tarts and other sweets tasted with diet coke.

Now there are not many things that are really trigger foods, but more trigger situations. If I overeat something bad, it seems like I have trouble staying on track for the rest of the day. It is almost like since I already screwed up & my day is lost so, what the hay, I'll just continue eating. I try really hard to work on this behavior.

I am a chocoholic. I have been eating dark chocolate since my hyster four years ago. My ability to taste changed after surgery. I can't actually taste regular chocolate anymore, so I switched to dark. Better for me, but not in large amounts. Potato chips are a big downfall for me. I love Baked Lays cheddar and sour cream. They are so addictive. I find regular potato chips to be too greasy for me now.

I cannot have brownies anywhere near me. Brownies are evil. I have not touched Pasta, bread or rice since surgery. Too scared to find out what a gooey mass would do to me.

I love chinese food. I just get it without the rice. I also choose meat with veggies. I know it's still too high in calories, but I don't have it that often.