Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self-payers

I'm self pay too. I'm so scared that I will end up having complications and have to pay for them. I figure it is worth the risk though. I need to get healthier. My surgery is tomorrow.

I did run into one issue though. The doctor's office quoted me one price. When I got to the hospital, they told me it was going to be $4700.00 more than what I already paid. They wanted it right then and there before they could do pre-op work. When I found out I would have to self pay, I had called the office twice to get the correct amount since I was bringing cashier's checks. Evidently, both times they gave me the wrong price. Moral of the story is, get the price in writing. I didn't do that so I was stuck paying the extra $4700.00. So my surgery is a little over $13,000.

I was self pay, banded Sept 30th 2008 and down around 77 pounds give or take a pound. My total was right around 20,000 with all of the tests etc. I am really nervous about a slippage or other problem because of course it would all be paid by me. However, I don't regret doing this for myself.

I will be self-pay as well. I have similar questions and would love to hear from others. In my area I have found that the cost is just over $17,000. This will include fixing any problems with the band or surgical site for 1 year after surgery and the first year of fills.

At the seminar the doctor mentioned something about "special ins" for future surgeries if needed. I have not had the consult so have not been able to ask more about this. I think that is one of my biggest fears, having to pay for future problems.

It does feel bad asking my husband to pay so much, but, I look at it this way. I will be a healthier wife and mom and I have rarely ask for anything around here. So, I can drive my mini-van for 5 more years instead of getting a new car (mini-van is paid for and works fine) and instead, get a new me!

I was self pay. You hear a lot of people who are self pay that go to Mexico. I went to Europe and the total cost of everything, including airfare, was about $6500.

The surgeon who did my procedure has done over 6,000 since the early '90s and they use the newest type band. I would do it again in a second.

I was self-pay and saved for six months by working 3 jobs. My day job plus managing someone's books who has a in-house business and babysitting my friends 4 year old twins.

I was able to save $10,000 for the surgery in Mexico. The surgeon I eventually chose was $7,000 plus $500 to fly my friend and I down there. I have $2500 left for fills and God forbid a possible failure of the band that may need to be replaced.

I asked the surgeon if anything went wrong with the band would it generally be so bad that I end up in an emergency room. He said no that if the band slipped I would be sicker than a dog, but I should be able to get on a plane and make it there to have it fixed.

I have to believe he is right because having medical insurance with a pre-existing clause right now is a bit scary to think I could end up in a local hospital and not be covered.

Hello,

Another self-payer here. I couldn't afford the cost $23k to $25k for surgery near my home so I opted to have an experienced and highly recommended surgeon in Mexico perform my surgery. My cost, which included hotel stay, hospital stay (2 nights), anesthesia, two awesome surgeon's and lifetime fills was $7,000.

Like many bandsters say, my only regret is not doing it sooner.

Donna

I am self pay too. My insurance paid for all the pre-tests. I went to Denver and it cost $9800. The hotel, airfare and car were another $300. I have GERD, which is the main reason I got the band. I couldn't have the only surgery my insurance would pay for, so I went this way. I am overwhelmed with payments and dealing with student loans too. Gads, it's st upid this isn't covered.

I worry too that something could go wrong and it could be expensive. I am not sure exactly what my insurance would cover. They will not say until they receive a claim. I am feeling a lot better and am all ready off my cholesterol meds. I have no regrets.

I have to say I am glad I shopped around. Locally it was nearly $15,000 for the surgery. That was the price with the 30 day BLISS insurance. I even considered Mexico, but my family was not comfortable with that at all. I know many people are fine going down there, but with the flu and the violence at the time, I decided to not chance it.

I'm so sorry to hear that you have a leak! I know that's better than a medical problem, but it's still bad news, especially for self-payers. Has your doctor given you any estimates to what you might expect to pay to get it repaired?

Thank you kiz, it is going to cost 4200 For a port revision, 5200 For a port replacement and 8500 if the band needs to be replaced. My husband has offered to dip into his 401k to pay for it but I don't know if that's fair to him. It means so much that he is willing to help though. I still don't know what I am going to do. At this point I have no restriction at all but I am not eating like I did pre-band at least not yet.

... it is going to cost 4200 For a port revision, 5200 For a port replacement and 8500 if the band needs to be replaced....

Boy, that stings, big time! Your band is so new, it's not as if you would be getting a new generation band if you had to have the whole thing replaced. You would think that there would be some sort of band warranty by the manufacturer if the leak wasn't due to mechanical error (ex. needle into the tubing during a fill). My surgeon did include a *very* short-term Blis policy that covered band problems such as leaks, slips, etc, but it has long since expired. Good luck in whatever you decide.

You would think that there would be some sort of band warranty by the manufacturer if the leak wasn't due to mechanical error .

I had my surgery in Mexico and really haven't got much support from that DR. ( Dr.Perez and Dr.Ceron, Cancun Mexico) after I told him what had happened.

The surgeon I am seeing here in the states said that if it is defective that we will go back to the manufacturer for a refund. I have heard that there are several people with port leaks that had surgery from May through July of this year. It has already been suggested that the ports used during that time may be defective on another thread. Of course I won't know anything for sure unless I go ahead and have the surgery. Just don't know yet what I should do. I imagine once I start gaining all the weight back that I won't be able to have the repair fast enough!

I have no fill at all right now and am still losing weight. Slow and steady. You should be able to maintain. That is interesting about the port. I had my band put in in June of this year and haven't had any problems, so I hope I got a good one. I am wondering if perhaps it's something to do with how it was put in. I doubt you'd ever get the doctor to admit anything.

I am on my 2nd lap band now and it is prolapsing. My 1st band was placed by Dr. Kuri in Mexico. Great experience, and I lost 90 pounds in 16 months. However, I developed pnuemonia and when I went in for a routine lap band check up, my band had slipped. I had it replaced by a local doctor at a cost of $17,000, and thought all was well, but this band showed prolapsing on my last visit.

So, with all the extra medical expenses, I have $35 grand in this stomach and no regrets. I am below target weight and praying for quidance on whether to replace the band or just have it removed.

I do know, if I have it removed, I will look at the gastric sleeve as this process has been difficult on the money market and my sense of well being. I have not abused my band and treated it kindly. Just for some reason, my stomach won't hold the band.

Good luck to others!

I am wondering how much time it has taken for you all to get a surgery date from the time of your first consultation (not seminar) as a self-pay??

I am trying to get in for a consultation this week or next and I am hoping to have this done by mid-Jan:thumbup: Wondering how long the process if testing and what not will take.

For me it was about 2 weeks from consult to surgery.

The reason it took 2 weeks was because I had to have a consult with the nutritionist and do Atkins diet for 2 weeks.

I'm sure every surgeon has different things they want you to do pre-op, but mid Jan. sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Good luck to you and I hope you get it done when you want and start your journey :wink2:

I went to more than one seminar for different offices. It was about two weeks after the seminar before I could see my surgeon. Surgery was scheduled for about two months after that.