Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self-payers

I thought there used to be a group on here for self-payers....but now I can't find anything. Anyone see this anywhere anymore?

I was self pay!

Well, how did your process go and how are you doing now? My anxiety is so high now because insurance won't pay, BMI is 42, and it is so scary to me to spend this much money and take this "risk." Wish I could talk to more self-payers that have gone through or are going through this like me.

I was a selfpay. I didn't have any problems with my surgery. Everything has been going great and I have no regrets except that I wish I would have done it sooner. I am 14 mts post op and as of a month ago I am down 130 pds. (I don't weigh at home). I am off all 3 of my blood pressure meds now and feel great. How much is your surgery going to cost you? Mine cost 10,000.00 But to me, my health and my family were the most important thing. If I wouldn't have had the surgery I may not have been here later on to spend that money on things with my family. I know my doctors office could have financed it if I wanted to. You may want to look into that, instead of putting out all the money at once.

Good Luck to you.

I was a self-payer too, and if there isn't one, that would be a great sub forum so that there'd be one place to share the different types of obstacles we face and the hopefully positive resolutions to those problems.

My biggest fear is a major band failure that affects my health, and how that would be handled through my insurance. I also have private health insurance, and I worry that I'll be axed if I have a medical problem as a result of my band.

On the other hand, and on a positive note, I truly feel blessed that I have this medical marvel. I cannot believe the difference it's made in my life. I eat small healthy meals, and I'm satisfied for hours. I was a junk food grazer, and once I reached good restriction, my gnawing round the clock hunger was obliterated. For all my nagging worries, I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat.

I'm sure I would anyway, but I take very good care of my band. I followed my pre-op and post-op diet to the letter. I wanted that sucker cemented into my stomach, so when my doctor said liquids only, I kept to liquids only, when it was mush time, I stuck to my mush. I've never had problems with a too tight band, but for me, I'd rather lose at a little slower rate then risk a band slip from too tight a band. Anything under my control that can help reduce band failure, I'm on it with a passion.

Thanks for the comments! It would be a great sub-forum! I thought there used to be one.....but maybe not. There are so many additional fears and issues with those of us that must do self-pay. I know I have spent countless months researching different surgeons, costs, experience, travel time, financing options, etc. I, for one, would love to hear about other's experiences going the self-pay route. I also have a lot of guilt about wanting to spend this much money on myself.

I just did a search through the sub-forums and social groups and I couldn't find a group for self-payers either. I'm going to send a suggestion to the administration using this thread to ask for one to be added here--> Sub-Forums : Special Interest Lap-Band® Support Groups (NEW!)

Amlus, there are ton of self-payers on here (remember only about 60% of the surgeries are covered by insurance). I'm 9 months out, down 82 pounds, losing steadily now that I'm past a plateau (finally!) and as you will hear often....my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

A few things to "file away". (1) Do as your doctor tells you....don't think because someone on here had different instructions that you can pick and choose what rules to follow. (2) Get an appropriate receipt for your self-pay ..... this will almost undoubtedly put you well over the percentage for medical deductions when you file your 2009 tax return. You can probably get all your pre-op testing done through your PCP and covered by your insurance because with a BMI of 42, none of the testing they do would be out of the ordinary for someone who is obese. I got a list from my surgeon of what I had to have done and took it to my PCP who did the parts he could do and referred to to doctors/providers in my network for the rest. He got the results and sent them to the surgeon. I had maybe $75 in co-pays for all of that! (3) If you work the band, it WILL work for you. You can eat around it and eat yourself right into failing but that's not the fault of the band! (4) Yes, it's a scary thought, spending that much money in one chunk and it's not a car or something tangible....but it will become tangible when you start losing.

I am self-pay and the thought of something happening to make a revision necessary is scary! I will have coverage on my insurance if I have an emergency due to my band, but it can't be coded as lap band surgery.

I was self pay but there are no insurances in Korea that cover the lap band surgery. Lucky I didnt have all the hassels of trying to get surgery in North America though :biggrin:

How did everyone manage to cover all their costs? Between surgery and student loans I am drowning

I am self pay and have been very happy with my band and weight loss up until two days ago when I went for my 3rd fill and found out I am leaking about 2cc in 30 seconds or so .

My surgeon said it might be the port, the tubing or the band so I am looking at some major bucks to get the leak fixed. I really dont think the leak is from the fills because they have gone off like clockwork, no extra poking and no problems finding the port.

I am going to have to take out a loan to get it fixed which is very depressing but I really can't picture life without the band. I have been researching the sleeve but just feel kind of scared of that kind of surgery so...I am probably going to bite the bullet and get my leak fixed.

With the band I have lost 50 pounds and feel so much better physically! Really for the first time I have felt in control of my eating. I can turn away from a plate full of food and not secretly wish I could continue eating.

The band is different for everyone but overall even with the leak I would still probably have had the lap band surgery done. I think it is really hard to put a price tag on your health and well being.

Good luck, don't want to discourage you by any means, most banders don't have complications, at least not early on.

There is definately interest in a self-payers sub-forum. Especially if there really are up to 40% of people that pay for the procedure without the help of insurance. Thanks for the AWESOME tips Cathy and your honesty SomedaySlim!:biggrin: Great idea Kiz! It sure would be wonderful if they would create a self-pay sub-forum. The cost around here is between $12,500 - $17,000, depending on the surgeon and within 3-4 hours or closer. Denver is $9,500 - $10,000 but you have travel/hotel costs, plus must be gone 2-3 days, etc. Yeah, it is a big financial strain......:(

I was self pay and had surgery in Denver. I live about 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive from Denver. I have not had health insurance for several years and was even turned down by one insurance company because of "my hight and weight." Well, it couldn't be my hight. I'm not a giant or midget. I am 5'7" and at the time weighed 230lbs. It really ticked me off. I have no other health problems and take no Rx meds. Now I fear that I won't be able to get insurance in the future because I have the band. I just hope nothing goes wrong with my band.

I am trying to pay off my surgery as fast as I can because it is interest free for 6 months and then it will be 10%.

I am self pay and have been very happy with my band and weight loss up until two days ago when I went for my 3rd fill and found out I am leaking about 2cc in 30 seconds or so .

My surgeon said it might be the port, the tubing or the band so I am looking at some major bucks to get the leak fixed. I really dont think the leak is from the fills because they have gone off like clockwork, no extra poking and no problems finding the port.

I am going to have to take out a loan to get it fixed which is very depressing but I really can't picture life without the band. I have been researching the sleeve but just feel kind of scared of that kind of surgery so...I am probably going to bite the bullet and get my leak fixed.

With the band I have lost 50 pounds and feel so much better physically! Really for the first time I have felt in control of my eating. I can turn away from a plate full of food and not secretly wish I could continue eating.

The band is different for everyone but overall even with the leak I would still probably have had the LAP-BAND® surgery done. I think it is really hard to put a price tag on your health and well being.

Good luck, don't want to discourage you by any means, most banders don't have complications, at least not early on.

I'm so sorry to hear that you have a leak! I know that's better than a medical problem, but it's still bad news, especially for self-payers. Has your doctor given you any estimates to what you might expect to pay to get it repaired?

I self-paid. My family doc at the time was an idiot and his ineptitude kept me from getting insurance to cover it. My insurance does cover my fills, though, go figure.

Worth EVERY penny, wish I did it years ago.