Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January 2010 Bandsters????

GOTTA LOVE THAT UPBEAT WISCONSIN JEN!!!!

I am happy re the band for so many reasons...instead of using food for -- well, pretty much everything -- I'm in control the vast majority of the time. It's such a relief. I feel so empowered by this, and proud of myself, too. Hey, we all know -- say it with me peeps -- IT'S A TOOL BUT YOU DO THE WORK. The band gives me the power to do the work. I agree with Jen that I wish I had done it sooner...and yet...for so many reasons, this was my time. I look so much better and healthier, have gone down a size, my skin is glowing, my RA is better and I've now lowered my prednisone yet again so I'm down to 16 mg a day. I'm thinking next January we plan a JAN BAND 2010 reunion somewhere and all try to come. How cool would that be?? I am rooting all of you on, every day.:frown:

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question. I was banded on 1/11 and I haven't had a fill yet. I'm doing great with my band and I'm down 32 pounds so I'm very happy with my progress.

Just wondering if anyone else is like me (not had a fill yet) and if so are you hungry at all between meals? I'm not but I'm finding that I am able to eat more than my recommended 5-6 ounces per meal.

So I'm thinking maybe it is time that I start thinking about scheduling that fill.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Claricey

Hi Claricey,

I was in the same position that you were. My six week post-op appointment was last Friday and I was scheduled for my first fill. I have been very lucky and have had restriction since my surgery day. I still had restriction on the day of my appointment, but had noticed that I was able to eat more lately (especially later in the day). I went ahead with my fill and ended up being very tight. I could only take a small sip of Water once every few minutes and had to drink something hot before I could even try to get very watery oatmeal down. After only being able to eat 1 and a 1/2 packets of oatmeal in two days...and nothing else...I got unfilled (although I am not sure exactly how much he took out, he would not say). I still have some restriction, thank goodness.

I would recommend if you do go for a fill please make sure it is a *very* small one. From everything I have read it is unusual to have restriction from the beginning and you wouldn't want it to backfire on you.

Good luck! :frown:

I'm so happy you are doing well Wisconsin Jen! Congrats on the weight loss.

My port pain also took time to subside, but yeah, after six weeks it went away.

My weight loss like yours has definitely refreshed me physically and mentally that it gave me confidence to go out again and walk around.

I've had 1 fill so far (3cc), and my restriction is not that tight. But I still get full easily, and the best thing is I don't get hungry in the middle of the day anymore.

I'm also lovin how my clothes are getting looser each day. It's been a blast trying on clothes I haven't worn for years!

Can't wait to hear how everyone is doing.

Keep up the good work guys!!

Thanks everyone for the update on the port pain.. the new pain that we are all dealing with and kind wondering how everyone else was doing with it (that was for Phil:):frown:

I am happy to say that the port pain has subsided 6 weeks post surgery...

I am also happy to say that I am down 22 pounds 6 weeks post surger and now... drumroll...

Clothes are getting LOOSE!!!! I am not ready to downsize yet.. but... those tight skirts.. well now I have the wiggle room (probably my true size now:):frown: but you didn't here that from me....

I will tell you that I am on the site abuot every 2-3 days now and really do look to see how everyone is doing.. especially us Jan 2010 bandsters...

Today I went to get some cortisone shots in the knee and the doc could tell I lost weight.. that was a NSV... I love telling everyone I had the band.. I am sharing it with everyone...

Why.. well.. just like everyone here.. I have struggled with weight.. and for the first time in my life.. weight is coming off without the stress that usually came with the diet.. or the screaming hunger pangs....

I also know that I could be taking it off faster if I desired... but I am happy with the process.. I don't care if it is one pound a week.. because losing one pound a week is better than gaining a pound a week.. and better than staying status quo...

However, that being said.. SPRING is in the air.. the weather is warming up here in Wisconsin.. and with my new found weightloss I want to start going for my walks again.. I am feeling physically and mentally refreshed...

I love my "Buddy Aid" friend in my LAP-BAND®®.. I will forever be loyal....

My only regret..... why didn't I do this so long ago... but alas.. this is my journey... and even if I didn't lose another pound I would be happy.. because the food is not controlling me anymore... I can have time to plan a meal instead of grabbing something to fill the belly....

So let's hear it... who else is happy today and why?

Hi Claricey,

I was in the same position that you were. My six week post-op appointment was last Friday and I was scheduled for my first fill. I have been very lucky and have had restriction since my surgery day. I still had restriction on the day of my appointment, but had noticed that I was able to eat more lately (especially later in the day). I went ahead with my fill and ended up being very tight. I could only take a small sip of Water once every few minutes and had to drink something hot before I could even try to get very watery oatmeal down. After only being able to eat 1 and a 1/2 packets of oatmeal in two days...and nothing else...I got unfilled (although I am not sure exactly how much he took out, he would not say). I still have some restriction, thank goodness.

I would recommend if you do go for a fill please make sure it is a *very* small one. From everything I have read it is unusual to have restriction from the beginning and you wouldn't want it to backfire on you.

Good luck! :wink2:

Hey Chicago winter...good to hear from you. Thanks for the reply. I might wait on that fill a while longer since I really am never hungry between meals. I am also going to see if my weight plateaus...a sure fire sign that I'm eating more and not realizing it. (I'm the first to admit that I am not 100% perfect with weighing and measuring.)

Are you exercising? If so...what do you like to do and how often are you doing it? I just can't seem to get back to the gym as I work full time and have 2 toddlers. My husband and I are going to talk this weekend on how to get me 2 gym nights per week so I can get really moving.

Did your doc have you do a pre-op liquid diet? Mine did not and now looking back wish I did...I could be 10 pounds ahead of where I am now. Sigh.:)

Take care!

Claricey

Claricey,

No, I did not have a pre-op diet. I agree about the ten extra pounds. :wink2: As far as exercising, I have not been good about going to the gym. I try to walk on my lunch hour, but don't always make it out due to being very busy at work. My goal is to start getting into the gym on more of a regular schedule. Right now I am working on trying to get all of my Water in for the day, but I am really struggling with that.

Keep me updated! :)

Isn't when and how much of your fills up to your doctor?? I can't believe your doctor hasn't had you schedule your appointment for your first fill. Yes, I know every doctor is different but that just seems really strange to me and I would never tell my doctor to just give me a little fill. I would talk with him about how things were going with what restriction I was or wasn't having and he would make the decision as to what my fill should be. After all they knows what's best, that's why we chose them. I had my first fill of 2cc's at my 2 week post-op appointment.

Claricey, did you have a post-op appointment? What did your doctor say about when he would do a fill??

I had my first NSV (non-scale victory) yesterday and I thought I'd share...I put on a pair of gym shorts that have an elastic band so that I could head over to the gym in my apartment complex and get some work out in. While walking the short distance to the gym, I had to continuously pull up the shorts. I hopped on the treadmill, and within seconds learned that I had to hold up each side of my shorts, all scrunched in my hand, in order to walk my 3.5mph and avoid showing my see-through black panties to everyone else in the gym! After 20 minutes of that, I finally hopped on the bike to get in another 10 minutes of workout without stressing about my shorts falling down...lol! I usually work out longer than 30 minutes, but the constant agony of pulling up my shorts (because they were literally, and quickly, sliding off my ass) was too much to deal with. So, although I cut the workout short, I think that's an awesome problem to have! Goodbye to my old, dear, elastic band sweat shorts! :thumbup:

I'm happy today because I finished the first week of C25K! :thumbup:
Good for you! I just ran AND FINISHED my first 5K yesterday, and I did it in 43:36 (My two goals were to finish, and do it in under 45 minutes). Keep it up! It's so great. :-)

Congratulations to those of you doing a 5K! I have heard a lot of great things about the C25K program, I will have to check it out!

To Claricey & MizKelly, of course, I agree 100% on talking to your surgeon about your fills. I was just trying to get across to Claricey that a significant fill was not necessary for me and "rushing it" backfired on me! :thumbup: My surgeon does not do the first fill until six weeks post-op, and you are not on a regular fill schedule after that. He asks you to make an appointment when you stop losing rather than at set intervals. I do agree, every doctor is different! :smile2:

Keep up the great work everyone! I really enjoy reading the updates from other January Bandsters.

Good for you! I just ran AND FINISHED my first 5K yesterday, and I did it in 43:36 (My two goals were to finish, and do it in under 45 minutes). Keep it up! It's so great. :-)

Congratulations!!! That is amazing!

Claricey, did you have a post-op appointment? What did your doctor say about when he would do a fill??

Hi Kelly,

Yes I had a 2 week and a 1 month post op appt. At the 1 month we discussed a fill and with the rate that I'm losing combined with me not being hungry...he said to wait. He told me to call the office when I was ready...he said he can't decide for me when the time is right and doesn't want to do one for the sake of doing it. I just recently noticed I could eat a little more at dinner time and that was what worried me. (Still not hungry between meals though.) So I signed all the paperwork and when I'm ready I can call to schedule the fill without having to have another appt. I'm not scheduled for another post op till mid April which will be my 3 month bandiversary. :wub:

Take care!

Claricey

HEY JAN BAND --

Haven't been near a scale in a while but my sweat pants fell off when I put them on this morning (not as good as the shorts falling off in the gym story, which is hysterical)...so I think I'm doing well on that front, but listen to this. My insurance covered the surgery. But...I got a bill in the mail for -- wait for it -- SEVENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS -- from the hospital, Good Samaritan in San Jose. Say WHA??? No clue what this is or why. Now I have to unravel the mystery and I have a feeling it isn't going to be pretty. I did stay overnight because of my RA, but NO ONE said I personally would pay more if I stayed overnight, and NO ONE said anything about an astronomical bill to me. This is allegedly what my insurance did not cover (Blue Cross through the Writers Guild of America). Obviously I have no intention of paying it, but I'm sure it's going to take endless time to get it all straightened out. Anyone get an unexpected bill from the hospital after their surgery?? Plus I already paid the hospital five thou the day of surgery which I was already told should be reimbursed to me by my insurance. CALL AND SUPPORT HEALTH CARE REFORM. And forgive my mini-platform. I'm stressed. Won't deal with it by eating. But stressed.:wub:

Congratulations!!! That is amazing!
Thank you so much! It's a thrill. :-)