Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*Sighhhhhh* (a little discouraged)

Ok, sooo.. I was soooo excited about going to the informational seminar on Oct 29th.n Until I received an email stating that it was canceled, and the next available date would not be until Nov 12. Ok, that kinda started the discouragement, just a little.:thumbup:

Then, yesterday, just to be curious I called my insurance provider (BCBS of NY), just to ask the basics, and to fill out some inquires I had hanging above my head. The operator said people who've had the surgery on this coverage usually have had to go on a 6 month diet :lol:!!!!!!!!! and that put me in full discouragement......

Well, I've registered for the Nov 12th seminar. BUT, I also want to know if anyone else on BCBS of NY has had any difficulties getting approved, or has had to go on a 6 month diet, prior to getting approved for surgery... Please, let me know, because I was really planning on getting this surgery before I went on a family vacation to Jamaica next summer:frown:

thnx

Ok, sooo.. I was soooo excited about going to the informational seminar on Oct 29th.n Until I received an email stating that it was canceled, and the next available date would not be until Nov 12. Ok, that kinda started the discouragement, just a little.:crying:

Then, yesterday, just to be curious I called my insurance provider (BCBS of NY), just to ask the basics, and to fill out some inquires I had hanging above my head. The operator said people who've had the surgery on this coverage usually have had to go on a 6 month diet :thumbup:!!!!!!!!! and that put me in full discouragement......

Well, I've registered for the Nov 12th seminar. BUT, I also want to know if anyone else on BCBS of NY has had any difficulties getting approved, or has had to go on a 6 month diet, prior to getting approved for surgery... Please, let me know, because I was really planning on getting this surgery before I went on a family vacation to Jamaica next summer:frown:

thnx

just as an FYI, a lot of insurance companies require 6 months of supervised weight loss prior to even submitting paperwork to them for approval. My insurance company doesn't, but they also turned me down, so I had to go self pay...

I hate to break it to you, but not only my insurance company but also my surgeon requires the 6 month supervised diet. This is to show that you are serious and up for the long haul of the committment. I know how you feel though, as I was wanting to have mine over spring break and it ended up being July. It really does fly by though.

I have to do a 6 month also and Im on my 2nd month into it. I was discouraged at 1st too cuz I had tons of proof of diets tried/failed but it doesnt matter. my insurance (health alliance) wants there 6 month "I Can Change" program to be done, and now that Ive started I really dont mind. For one, the bariatric center Im having it done at has alot of testing they want done so that will take time, plus their classes etc..it also gets myself mentally ready for this life changing event, and this is probably a main reason why insurances companies have you wait. They dont want to pay out all this money and you not be able to make the changes necessary to succeed.

Hope that helps,

Good luck

Lauri

Do you have bcbsil They said 3 months. Said just changed in sep.09

I have BCBS IL and had to go through the 6 months also. Once my Dr. & I got everything required by ins. I was approved within a week, scheduled for surgery within 2wks. I had no out of pocket expenses other than co-pays. So the wait for me paid off itself!

Its true six months does go by fast! Those six months help me prepare for the life changing experiences that I would be facing. Like many of us, I'm sure you have been over for quite some time now. What’s another six months??

Ok, sooo.. I was soooo excited about going to the informational seminar on Oct 29th.n Until I received an email stating that it was canceled, and the next available date would not be until Nov 12. Ok, that kinda started the discouragement, just a little.:crying:

Then, yesterday, just to be curious I called my insurance provider (BCBS of NY), just to ask the basics, and to fill out some inquires I had hanging above my head. The operator said people who've had the surgery on this coverage usually have had to go on a 6 month diet :thumbup:!!!!!!!!! and that put me in full discouragement......

thnx

I have blue cross blue sheild of IL and I am just getting started on my three month diet. Maybe yours changed from 6 to 3 too?

I agree. Most insurance companies have at least some type of hoop that you have to jump through to get approved. But I think it's a good thing. I had to do a 3 month program with Aetna and I'm glad I did. I felt better prepared for my surgery. Look on the bright side-at least your insurance covers the surgery!:thumbup: Good luck!

Yes they sent me some papers and the place on their web sight that said it changed in sep 09 I go to cruves and i hope that will work. one on the list is counseling and instruction on exercise and increased physical activity. So i sent my papers that shows dates of my bmi and days i went. I think thats what they are asking for .