Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to jump start the wagon!?

I feel like I've been falling off, doing more Snacks than I should (cheese, crackers)... and it's my busiest 2 mo. of the year at work, so no time for the pool (I'd been doing 30 laps 3 days a week). With the snow this week, I am worried about the winter! I've been considering doing the liquid diet for 2 weeks to jump start my brain - have others done this? I did great on the pre-op and post-op diet, with no cheating, not sure what happened now that I'm 7 mo. out and 50 pounds down. (Won't make excuses, just want to own up. I had to fly to FL for 2 weeks, almost lost my Dad, but did well down there, it's when I got back that was the problem.:confused:)

I think it is like anything, sometimes we need a swift kick. You know you are there now. If the liquid is safe at this stage, I don't see why not do it to drop a good amount and get re-focused. Emotions trigger our responses. People like us eat. I packed on about 40ls. after my mom passed. That pretty much brought me to my surgeon. Good luck and keep the faith.

There are quite a few people that do the 5-day pouch test to get them refocused and back on track. Also, get those trigger foods out of your house even if you need to throw them away. If it is your weakness, don't be exposed to it.

I know one thing that really helped me during the weight loss stage was to journal EVERY morsel that I put in my mouth. I allowed so many calories and day and it made me accountable. Planning my meal menus a day or even a week ahead of time was a huge help also.

Clean some veggies and have them in the frig ready to eat when you feel like snacking. Have a bowl of fruit ready to grab.

Wishing you luck in getting back on track. Give yourself some credit...you KNOW you can do this. Just have the right things on hand to help get you steered the right direction.

nfl 1 I hope your Dad is doing better.

In the past I have used the www.mastercleanser.com to change my diet. I went to lacto vegan many years ago using this method and it went really well. I was lacto vegan for 3 years. then got married and well you know how that goes.

I am currently doing the mastercleanser to detox before surgery to "reset" myself. It takes away the cravings too... then as you re introduce food you can see if you pay attention what really isn't agreeing with you. Also if you have unknown food allergies... I have been reading alot lately about food allergies and how we crave what what are allergic to and it sets obesity into play. If you don't put bad stuff in after that you should not have any cravings for them. you can also lose a pound a day.

Good luck , I hope this helps you

Thanks for the great suggestions and kind words! My dad is doing better, and trying everything he can to get us to move him from the nursing home back to independent living, but he moves to assisted living on Monday! We never thought he'd even be able to use a walker to use the bathroom on his own - and we know it's the monitoring of diet, blood sugar and insulin... or he'll be right back there...seeing him over the years was how I really had to change my life - I was following him, and I want more out of life than just food - meal to meal and nothing else!

Thanks for the great suggestions and kind words! My dad is doing better, and trying everything he can to get us to move him from the nursing home back to independent living, but he moves to assisted living on Monday! We never thought he'd even be able to use a walker to use the bathroom on his own - and we know it's the monitoring of diet, blood sugar and insulin... or he'll be right back there...seeing him over the years was how I really had to change my life - I was following him, and I want more out of life than just food - meal to meal and nothing else!

I know how you feel, my dad is across the country from me. He is 61 and has rapidly progressing dementia and I am beside myself right now. he has a wife that is a control freak, she herself is dying from cancer and she won't relinquish him to a family member it seems til she is gone. He needs something between assisted living and a nursing home. I am trying to bring him here to live with me to take care of him for as long as it is possible and then place him somewhere near me so I can take care of him there and watch out for him. If he gets left there there will be no one to make sure he is getting the care he needs and doing unannounced visits etc. It is hard because I am heart broken over his condition, and I was always daddys girl.

I hope your dad can move to assisted living I think that senario allows for such dignity. and a zest for life. there are so many activities in those communities it is great.

I will pray for the best for your family

Thank you! We actually moved my partner's mom, who has dementia, to live with us 10 years ago (she was 79 then), and while it's tough, and sometimes emotional, it's something we'll never regret. Her husband was already gone though, and one of her friends called to say she was not taking care of herself (paying bills, taking pills, cleaning, etc.). So, after my trip to see Dad (who's 87) she looked much more mobile to me - LOL, despite the walker and oxegyn tubing!

Good luck, keep an eye on him even by phone, it means so much. I was a daddy's girl too - hence my patterning my food use and obsession after his.

I know that is a tough undertaking for sure. I do family childcare so I am always home so I am thinking I am up for the challenge. My kids are almost 9 and 12 and I have explained to them what is going on. My daughter , she is the older, told me that Grampy like everyone else has the right to be Safe, healthy and loved, and dispite the challenge she said it is the right thing and the only thing to do. the sun and the moon shine over my dads head in her eyes. I am so proud of her outlook.

I know God will bless you and your partner for taking her in, it was the right thing to do, I admire you, I may ask you for pointers if I have him at home with me. I did call social services to go see him because he was being left alone while his wife was working, nothing appropriate to eat, no running Water, no phone to call for help or to check on him. After the very detailed report I made all they did was talk to him outside and he was ok that day, so they deemed him able to make his own decisions...I was so mad they didn't go inside and check on his conditions. I had sent his dr a letter letting him know my concerns to start with sent it certified etc. He called me a week later and was unwilling to help since it was too uncomfortable for him!!!!!!!

My dads wife is a hoarder so you can imagine the conditions and they live out in the woods in a single wide mobile. .

Frustration!!!!

Thank you for sharing your story.

Thank you! We actually moved my partner's mom, who has dementia, to live with us 10 years ago (she was 79 then), and while it's tough, and sometimes emotional, it's something we'll never regret. Her husband was already gone though, and one of her friends called to say she was not taking care of herself (paying bills, taking pills, cleaning, etc.). So, after my trip to see Dad (who's 87) she looked much more mobile to me - LOL, despite the walker and oxegyn tubing!

Good luck, keep an eye on him even by phone, it means so much. I was a daddy's girl too - hence my patterning my food use and obsession after his.