Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of getting a Band? READ THIS

Lisa, Fuzzy or not - It's a great picture. Thanks for posting it.

Michelle - You are a goddess!!! All I can say is

Got Milk?

I went to my physical on Tuesday, intending to leave with a referral to UCLA bariatrics. I also wanted to find out if I have any issues related to high cholesterol, diabetes, etc. I don’t have the lab results back yet, but I found out that my BP is lower than normal, so that’s not going to be an issue I can document on my surgery evaluation form. The doctor (a first year resident) said she’d give me a referral, but then her attending doc vetoed it.

Basically, I have to “try” to lose weight and I have to see the doctor once a month at least until the end of the year. I actually don’t feel too badly about that because that same day I got a packet from UCLA saying I have to have documented proof of failure on a doctor-supervised program (which I currently do not have). I figured I’d wait until the end of the year, and then apply for the surgery. Meanwhile, she gave me the whole “the surgery won’t guarantee that you’ll lose weight” talk. I understand that. But it *will* keep me from bingeing and since that’s my main problem, I think I’d do just fine.

At the same time, the shrink changed up my antidepressants and I’m feeling a lot better. So when the doctor asked me to give her three months and just try to lose some weight, I was all “Hey, I bet I can do this!”

Well…now I’ve had a couple of days to think about it. I’ve been down this road before. In the past, the meds have worked for a little while, and I become able to function a little better and lose some weight. But then the meds stop working and I wind up bingeing and gaining all the weight back and then some. So I feel great now, but I don’t expect it to last. The past is the best predictor of the future, right?

I have no doubt that I could lose ten pounds. But losing ten pounds does not require as much as losing 90 pounds. Losing 90 pounds means sticking to it for months before you begin to notice even a little change and that’s when the motivation fails me. I’m already a borderline case. Losing even ten pounds could get me denied, and then where will I be? A “mere” 80 pounds overweight. Still obese. Still miserable about it, but not quite miserable enough, apparently.

I don’t know what to do. Do I try to lose weight, or do I wait it out (no pun intended)? On one hand, of course I don’t really *want* to have surgery if it’s not absolutely necessary. But on the other, I just don’t think I have it in me to go through this cycle of failure again, and I feel that I’ve already wasted enough of my life with this struggle. I’m tired of doing this to myself, you know?

So if anyone has any insight to share, I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks,

SJ

sleepyjean, you are me 7 years from now having NOT had band surgery.

I was 38. Weighed 240. By the time I turned 39, I had lost 20 pounds. I kept if off and exercised and did my best and this past January, the year I turned 40, I knew the whole decade to follow (my 40's) would be more of the same.

My children are young, 6 and 2 1/2. I got so sick of being fat. I have a home and children to raise and a husband to help and care for and I was so distracted by my fat bod and sense of doom and failure and running on a weight loss treadmill going nowhere.

I had had ENOUGH!! So I paid cash and went to Mexico. I knew my insurance excluded the Lap Band specifically, I knew I was NOT getting RNY, I was actually grateful that I didn't have all the insurance hoops to jump through. I scheduled and went and here I am.

I'm losing slowly, but I'm in "Onderland" (below 200) now and someday, I'll be a success like Michelle here. No looking back. No wasting time. No "what if's". I quit talking and started doing. That's me. I can't say to you what you should do, but I can say that I remember where you are and I have no regrets so far.

100 Pounds -- I'm almost afraid to even set such a goal! You are AMAZING!!!!! Thank you for showing it CAN be done! Maybe after we each lose 100 lbs we could have a party in those pants -- I think I have some stretchies we can use if too many of us show up!!!! Congratulations to you --Fabulous!

Congrats Michelle! You are such an inspiration to me & everyone else here. You should be so proud of yourself. You look beautiful, not to mention, very happy.

I bought a pair of jeans before I went... I hadnt had any since I was like 22 yrs old.. but I wanted a pair to show off how much I lost..

I did wear them lots of times.. but not this summer.. HUmmmm

great jobs!