Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is quicker restriction due to having more fat around the stoma?

Ok well im pushin 3 months out..and i have had 4 fills.....and generous ones at that...im extremely upset b/c im already at 6.3cc's in my 10cc band and im still eating more than i should and as often as i shouldn't.....im wondering if my reason for not being restricted yet is due to the fact that i surprisingly didn't have much fat around my stoma as most obese individuals do...I feel that restriction is near in about the next 1cc or so, but i just can't believe im halfway through the band and not feeling that fullness after a half cup of food....now, i have experienced things getting stuck with dry chicken breast, baked ham (thanksgiving style) and even deli ham...but i have not yet experienced pb'ing or acid reflux, etc. and don't plan on it. But sometimes i feel like those negative symptoms are the only signs that will assure me i am tight. I feel like a straight up pig, b/c this tool is supposed to keep me from wanting to eat, but hell im still hungry and im still thinkin about food at 6.3cc's. the weight loss has been very slow so that doesn't help the situation. Please if there is anyone who has experienced having to be filled at 75% or more until feeling true restriction, i would really appreciate your input and advice. thanks

Ok well im pushin 3 months out..and i have had 4 fills.....and generous ones at that...im extremely upset b/c im already at 6.3cc's in my 10cc band and im still eating more than i should and as often as i shouldn't.....im wondering if my reason for not being restricted yet is due to the fact that i surprisingly didn't have much fat around my stoma as most obese individuals do...I feel that restriction is near in about the next 1cc or so, but i just can't believe im halfway through the band and not feeling that fullness after a half cup of food....now, i have experienced things getting stuck with dry chicken breast, baked ham (thanksgiving style) and even deli ham...but i have not yet experienced pb'ing or acid reflux, etc. and don't plan on it. But sometimes i feel like those negative symptoms are the only signs that will assure me i am tight. I feel like a straight up pig, b/c this tool is supposed to keep me from wanting to eat, but hell im still hungry and im still thinkin about food at 6.3cc's. the weight loss has been very slow so that doesn't help the situation. Please if there is anyone who has experienced having to be filled at 75% or more until feeling true restriction, i would really appreciate your input and advice. thanks

I was banded 5/6/09 and have had 4 fills...My Dr is very agressive with fills and I am up to 11.4 cc's in a 14 cc band. I know how you feel but I just think some people can tolerate more restriction. I see posts all the time where people have just a few cc's and and have great restriction or have to go for unfills...My experience has been different. Up until my 3rd fill, which brought me up to 10 cc's, I hardly noticed anything. I was beginning to wonder if I was the one person that this band would not work for! At 10 cc's I got good restriction (meaning it slowed me down in that I had to really chew my food well, but never kept me to the 1c or less quantity) and that lasted for 3 wks and then disappeared almost overnite. I went back this past Tuesday (9/15) and got filled to 11.4 cc's. Again I feel restiction now and I am finally noticing that I am satisfied with less food.

I think that you are like me and just can tolerate more restriction than most..but be assured that the closer you get to YOU'RE sweet spot the less of a fill you will need to make all the difference.

I know sometimes feeling those negative symptoms makes you feel that the band is actually there but the reality is you are getting good restriction if you are losing 1-2lbs a week, which you are. Also you should feel satisfied for 3-4hrs after a meal. You have lost 29lbs in 15wks, that is an average of 1.93lbs per wk. You are right on track!

I just wanted to encourage you to be patient for just a bit longer..You WILL get to good restriction and now that you are at 75% capacity, it should only take the slightest of fills to make a difference.

I was banded 5/6/09 and have had 4 fills...My Dr is very agressive with fills and I am up to 11.4 cc's in a 14 cc band. I know how you feel but I just think some people can tolerate more restriction. I see posts all the time where people have just a few cc's and and have great restriction or have to go for unfills...My experience has been different. Up until my 3rd fill, which brought me up to 10 cc's, I hardly noticed anything. I was beginning to wonder if I was the one person that this band would not work for! At 10 cc's I got good restriction (meaning it slowed me down in that I had to really chew my food well, but never kept me to the 1c or less quantity) and that lasted for 3 wks and then disappeared almost overnite. I went back this past Tuesday (9/15) and got filled to 11.4 cc's. Again I feel restiction now and I am finally noticing that I am satisfied with less food.< p>I think that you are like me and just can tolerate more restriction than most..but be assured that the closer you get to YOU'RE sweet spot the less of a fill you will need to make all the difference.

I know sometimes feeling those negative symptoms makes you feel that the band is actually there but the reality is you are getting good restriction if you are losing 1-2lbs a week, which you are. Also you should feel satisfied for 3-4hrs after a meal. You have lost 29lbs in 15wks, that is an average of 1.93lbs per wk. You are right on track!

I just wanted to encourage you to be patient for just a bit longer..You WILL get to good restriction and now that you are at 75% capacity, it should only take the slightest of fills to make a difference.

Thank you for your encouragement and words of wisdom from your experience....i go for a fill this thursday and hopefully i can get a 1 cc...b/c i start thinkin bout food like after 2-3 hours on most days...

This is exactually my situation. I am 5 cc's in a 10 cc band. My doc said "most" people only have to have 4-7 cc's to reach their sweet spot. Well I am having my third fill next wednesday and am hoping that will do the trick. I wanted to know how people knew they were at their sweet spot. I mean are you physically UNABLE to eat more than a cup or so? Right now I am eating about 2 cups if not more of food and want to feel some sort of restriction NOW... LOL

Edited by talkalot1981

I noticed a BIG difference from 10cc's to 11.4 cc's. I think the best way to explain it is that I am satisfied with much less food and I stay satisfied longer. I have to eat MUCH slower. With me the first bite is the hardest. I can actually feel it going thru the stoma and it hurts. Once that passes I can eat another bite and not have discomfort unless I dont chew well. I'm not measuring but I think I eat a bit more than a cup but make sure it's Protein first. I don't feel full when I stop..just satisfied. I dont wanna feel full ...I hate that feeling and it will stretch your pouch out anyway. Good luck with your next fill...let us know how it works out!