Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad shoulder pain/ gas 10 days out

I am 10 days post op and I am having bad pains in my left, should/neck area. It started yesterday and I have taken Gas-x strips. Does this go away when I am able to eat solids? I have been on mushes for a few days and my stomach hurts from gas and when I eat, well it does not last long lol. Please let me know! Thanks!:blush:

My gas pain in my shoulder when I woke up from surgery. It was AWFUL!!! I was in so much pain, but I didn't realize that it was gas so I let the nurse give me morphine for the pain. I absolutely HATE morphine. I regretted it almost immediately. So I asked the nursing assitant to bring me an ice pack and pillows to elevate my left arm. It didn't really help. Finally, a new nurse came on duty and she gave me a hot moist pad and I finally got some sleep! It took a couple of weeks before the pain went away. I used the hot moist pad (I took it with me when I left the hospital) on my shoulder when I went back to work. EVENTUALLY the pain went away. A lot of people on this site recommend walking. I am sure that walking is very effective.

I hope you feel better soon.

Congratulations!!!

I am 5 days out and also have sharp pain in my left shoulder! It hurts when I seat down but doesn't hurt when I walk around or when I lay on my right side.. (weird!)

Because of this it leaves me to assume its gas pain. I apply heating pad and then an ice pack and well as consistently massaging my shoulder hoping it will someday go away.

Thanks, I was just making sure that someone else had this trouble!

Walking is what helped me more than anything else. I did NOT feel like walking but I made myself do it and it really did start helping.

Good luck to you. It's not fun but it does go away. :thumbup:

hi there. i am 5 days post op. i had awful gas pain in the first 3 days, also made worse by having a hernia repair done at the same time as the band. My lovely nurse recommended drinking peppermint tea and sucking on mints (they must dissolve in the mouth). I was not too keen on the tea at first - but it was an absolute god send. I would definately recommend it to help with gas. Hope your shoulder pain eases soon . Sal

I had gas pain off and on in my left shoulder for about 2 weeks post-op. It sucks, but it will pass. I walked as much as possible and slung a hot rice bag over my shoulder. The walking did the most for alleviating discomfort. Hang in there!

Hi,

Well I just wanted to tell you the best advice I got was sip sip sip and walk walk walk.....The gas x strips did not help me at all.......ok, now....

The other side to this is that I am almost 10 months from being banded and I know this is going to sound STRANGE, but when I get hungry my left shoulder will start hurting. I dont have "tummy" hunger any more, my shoulder always lets me know. The cure to this is that I drink something warm and it seems to go away or I will nibble on something. This usually tends to happen between 3 and 6 in the afternoon. If it gets really bad around the 6 oclock dinner time, I will have to eat to get it to stop hurting....

Good luck!

Carrie

I used a heating pad, gas-x. They provided some relief. After I was feeling a lot better,my neighbor (who has had a band over a year) told me I should have gotten some of the gas relief capsules that contain activated charcoal. She said that helped the shoulder pain and that the gas-x was just for intestinal gas. I don't know for sure since I never tried the activated charcoal ones, but if I had known I do believe I would have tried it. At least the gas-x helped with one problem!

Walking does help too. The best news is, that this too shall pass!

I also had the pain in my shoulder, it hurt so bad I didn't even notice the incisions or any of the other things that I would have thought would hurt.

If the pain continues beyond 3 weeks you may want to see your PCP if you still have your galbladder. Surgery can sometimes trigger this to be an issue and the pain for galbaldder issues also shows up as shoulder blade pain.

Good luck, it will get better.

Hey MOEMOE, how's Louisiana keeping? Hubby & I spent 30 years in Thibodaux. We sure miss the good cajun friends and food! We retired and moved back home to Alabama.

The shoulder pain is from the gas. Walk, walk, and more walking. Gas-X helps too. It will get better but don't be surprised if it comes back once in awhile.

Louisiana is great, best state in the union! It is going away more and more every day!

MoeMoe, yeah, it's too bad the politicians don't/won't take better care of it's resources. Every storm season, I worry about the area where we lived. We have so many friends down there.

How's the gas? Hope it's better.