Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Lady now requires 26 servants

If Obama didn't care about bipartanship, he would have already ram-rodded the congressional plan through. He cares a whole lot more about you and me than any of the presidents in recent history. You don't recognize it because you probably haven't seen it before.

At this point I think he should do just that. He has the mandate and the majority. As for the spineless blue dogs, they should worry less about their seats in 2010 and remember who brought them to the dance in the first place.

I'm pretty sure Obama isn't mentioned in the bible, however he did say that he prayed that God would melt Obama like a salted snail. This is a man who preached to his congregation "Why I hate Obama". I assume he tells his congregation his interpretation of the bible which would have to include hate since he was preaching it. If his interpretation of God's word in the bible includes hating and praying for someone's death, I have to assume that is the wrong interpretation. If a "man of God" so to speak can get it wrong, can't you?

Is this all you can come up with to prove that I am wrong about what God says in the bible? Your best bet is to read it for yourself so that you could be sure. No doubt, that there are some in the world who "add" things to God's words and say that he said "thus" and "so". But I do not. There are many denominations out there who do this, and the people just sit back and believe all that they dish out. I know. I was raised in the catholic church and was told lie after lie from that denomination about what's in the bible. Some examples: (Mary was not a sinner, she had no other children besides Jesus, she never had sex, there are many 'saints' you can pray to, purgatory exists, you need to go to confession, infant baptism is required to make it to heaven, the wafer in communion is the actual body of Christ, nuns, Penance, Lent) I could tell so many more lies, but I'd be typing all day. You have to wonder where they got that stuff! Cause it's not in there. Hasn't ANY priest or nun even read the book. It's hard to believe, but the bible is very concise about all those issues. Here is just one example: In the book of Timothy, it states clearly :"There is one mediator between man and God, the man Christ Jesus". Now, if God is telling the truth, then praying to Saints (whom happen to be past people who have died) is not possible. There are also other scriptures that teach that it is wrong to pray to the dead.

In every group of society there will always be someone who is mentally ill and has crazy plans and ideas. It doesn't make the whole group wrong. I heard of a left winged liberal czar, who recently resigned, who called republicans a__holes. This kind of behavior is also not nice. It doesn't mean all liberals are like him.

P.S.( Don't worry about his prayers for Obama's death being answered for 2 reasons: 1. God doesn't answer prayers according to what we want, but only if it is in accordance with his will. and 2. according to most on this thread, he was talking to the air.:thumbup:)

Gee Patty, have you ever had a thought for yourself or do you always plagiarize? I thought the writing style looked a little different and I was right. If anyone wants to read the full article in the WSJ, here it is in it’s original format (written by two Republican congressmen BTW).

Patty, I know this isn’t high school and you are not technically cheating. But you came across in your statement that YOU had the answer. Not the BEST answer in my opinion, and not really even YOUR answer.

We all get our thoughts and ideas from the world around us. (newspaper articles, media, talks with neighbors, books, etc.) This is how we form our opinions. I agreed with all that I read and felt exactly the same as the person who wrote it. I did change some things that I felt was too lengthy.

At this point I think he should do just that. He has the mandate and the majority. As for the spineless blue dogs, they should worry less about their seats in 2010 and remember who brought them to the dance in the first place.

But, as you know, it's not about the American people and what they want. It's about them! They want to keep their jobs. They know that there are far more people against the bill being put thru than for it, and even if they are for it themselves, if they want to keep their seat, they better vote against it or we are going to boot them out!

[Cleo'smom QUOTE]Parents don't want their kids to hear Obama talk about staying in school and studying because it would be an endorsement of his agenda.

At first he encouraged students about ways in which they could "help the president". This seemed to be an effort to politicize children. Then they changed the wording to to encourage children to write letters to themselves about how they can achieve their short and long term goals in education. There happens to be alot of political unrest in our nation right now. If there wasn't this political debate going on ,I don't believe parents would have responded the way they did over this. Technology today has made it easier to spread their messages and even Obama has used the media and technology to move his agenda forward. The downside of it is "every whisper becomes something that is heard over a loudspeaker."

I heard that Obama's administration will start releasing the names of people who visit the WH. This has never been the WH's policy in the past. Doing so would bring to light who is influencing decision making there. This is being done because the watchdog group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has put legal pressure on them. Not because Obama wants to be open with Americans. Of course no records will be released right away. The policy covers visits starting Sept. 15. Why not let us see who visited him since his inauguration? If he was soooo honest and open, he wouldn't care if we took a look back. But no, after Sept. 15, he will let us see who visits. After Sept. 15, all visitors that he doesn't want the public to know about will enter through another door, I'm sure.

I heard that Obama's administration will start releasing the names of people who visit the WH. This has never been the WH's policy in the past. Doing so would bring to light who is influencing decision making there. This is being done because the watchdog group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has put legal pressure on them. Not because Obama wants to be open with Americans. Of course no records will be released right away. The policy covers visits starting Sept. 15. Why not let us see who visited him since his inauguration? If he was soooo honest and open, he wouldn't care if we took a look back. But no, after Sept. 15, he will let us see who visits. After Sept. 15, all visitors that he doesn't want the public to know about will enter through another door, I'm sure.

At least Obama is opening the records. bush refused to do so - ever. I'm still waiting to see who cheney met with to develop our energy policy. Again, he refused. So whether it is after Sept. 15 or not is not important. It's that he is taking the first, unprecedented step forward. But of course, even something this positive is met with criticism from the right.

Is this all you can come up with to prove that I am wrong about what God says in the bible? Your best bet is to read it for yourself so that you could be sure. No doubt, that there are some in the world who "add" things to God's words and say that he said "thus" and "so". But I do not. There are many denominations out there who do this, and the people just sit back and believe all that they dish out. I know. I was raised in the catholic church and was told lie after lie from that denomination about what's in the bible. Some examples: (Mary was not a sinner, she had no other children besides Jesus, she never had sex, there are many 'saints' you can pray to, purgatory exists, you need to go to confession, infant baptism is required to make it to heaven, the wafer in communion is the actual body of Christ, nuns, Penance, Lent) I could tell so many more lies, but I'd be typing all day. You have to wonder where they got that stuff! Cause it's not in there. Hasn't ANY priest or nun even read the book. It's hard to believe, but the bible is very concise about all those issues. Here is just one example: In the book of Timothy, it states clearly :"There is one mediator between man and God, the man Christ Jesus". Now, if God is telling the truth, then praying to Saints (whom happen to be past people who have died) is not possible. There are also other scriptures that teach that it is wrong to pray to the dead.

In every group of society there will always be someone who is mentally ill and has crazy plans and ideas. It doesn't make the whole group wrong. I heard of a left winged liberal czar, who recently resigned, who called republicans a__holes. This kind of behavior is also not nice. It doesn't mean all liberals are like him.

P.S.( Don't worry about his prayers for Obama's death being answered for 2 reasons: 1. God doesn't answer prayers according to what we want, but only if it is in accordance with his will. and 2. according to most on this thread, he was talking to the air.:mad:)

All the christian religions base their teachings on the bible. The same bible. The fact that they come to different conclusions about what it says and what it means makes my point. The catholic church has biblical references and interpretations for every one of the things you take exception to. I am not defending them, because I think they got some things wrong, too. But my point is that if a major, world wide religion, with billions of members, that claims to be the one true religion because it is the only one that can be traced directly back to Jesus can get the bible wrong, then anyone can. And this is especially true of those who use the bible to support their hatred and their discriminatory views.

But, as you know, it's not about the American people and what they want. It's about them! They want to keep their jobs. They know that there are far more people against the bill being put thru than for it, and even if they are for it themselves, if they want to keep their seat, they better vote against it or we are going to boot them out!

The latest August polls show that the majority of Americans, and a bigger majority of democrats and independents support healthcare reform. This is a partisan issue. The republicans don't support it and never will. So, I say to the democrats that we helped put in office - vote for healthcare reform or we can just as easily vote you out of office.

kartman I learned a long time ago that if there was a really well constructed, easy to understand essay posted, with no misspellings, no gramatical errors at all, it is probably not one of us who authored it.

Now most people at LBT always do the right thing and cite their sources. But there are always a few who would like to take credit for someone else's compositions. It's wrong, even though this isn't something that is to be published or a term paper or a thesis we're writing. This is a public forum and if one is to be given any credibility, one must cite one's sources and when one is quoting even another LBT member, it is unfair and wrong to do it incorrectly.

I have had my words quoted and emphasis put on certain sentences that had no emphasis on them originally and things lifted and moved to change the meaning. There are no guarantees here that people will play fair and I take it as a very obvious indication of the kind of person I'm dealing with.

Cleo'sMom: "All the christian religions base their teachings on the bible. The same bible. The fact that they come to different conclusions about what it says and what it means makes my point. The catholic church has biblical references and interpretations for every one of the things you take exception to. I am not defending them, because I think they got some things wrong, too. But my point is that if a major, world wide religion, with billions of members, that claims to be the one true religion because it is the only one that can be traced directly back to Jesus can get the bible wrong, then anyone can. And this is especially true of those who use the bible to support their hatred and their discriminatory views."

You said here what I've tried to say with hundreds of words on other threads, but you said it so much better. Bravo!!!

I try not to be irritated by patty's arguments about how perfect her beliefs are, how inarguably correct her interpretation of the Bible is, how her "truth" is really the only truth in the world regarding the Bible and her faith but I cannot sit still to read over and over things that are so patently absurd without commenting.

The reason it is so irritating is because people like patty are behind so much of the political strife in this country and they represent, frankly, very scary political rethoric that is all about inciting anger and discord. And after 8 years of a president and congress and an administration that shared her thinking, I am sick to death of it. And they don't seem to understand that their behavior and mean words are the reason why the people threw the bums out. Now they need to back off, take their medicine, and let the people we elected run the country.

patty: "They know that there are far more people against the bill being put thru than for it, and even if they are for it themselves, if they want to keep their seat, they better vote against it or we are going to boot them out!"

Sorry dear, you don't gots the votes. You control a minority and if the extremist minority in congress don't learn how to shut up, you won't even have them.

I'm with Cleo'sMom: "So, I say to the democrats that we helped put in office - vote for healthcare reform or we can just as easily vote you out of office."

Works for me!

At least Obama is opening the records. bush refused to do so - ever. I'm still waiting to see who cheney met with to develop our energy policy. Again, he refused. So whether it is after Sept. 15 or not is not important. It's that he is taking the first, unprecedented step forward. But of course, even something this positive is met with criticism from the right.

I am glad that he is opening the books, but the criticism comes with the fact that he wouldn't be opening the books if it weren't for the threat of legal action from the American people.

All the christian religions base their teachings on the bible. The same bible. The fact that they come to different conclusions about what it says and what it means makes my point. The catholic church has biblical references and interpretations for every one of the things you take exception to. I am not defending them, because I think they got some things wrong, too. But my point is that if a major, world wide religion, with billions of members, that claims to be the one true religion because it is the only one that can be traced directly back to Jesus can get the bible wrong, then anyone can. And this is especially true of those who use the bible to support their hatred and their discriminatory views.

This is why I abhor 'organized' religions. You are right in what you say. This is why every individual needs to read what God has to say, and not believe what their higher authority in their churches have to say about things.There really is no excuse for anyone when they stand before him one day and say," I never knew what you had to say on these issues." For in America, the bible is available to all and we have the freedom to read it.

As far as using the bible to support hate and discriminatory views, I believe that people need to take the bible at it's word, not their own word. How can these words be interpreted any differently? "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; it is detestable."(Lev.18:22) The whole chapter 18 is entitled 'Unlawful sexual relations'. A verse before it says, "Do not have sexual relations with your neighbors wife and defile yourself with her." The verse after it says, "Do not have sexual relations with an animal." There is NO way to misinterpret God's intent here. Sorry. But he says it is just as wrong as the sins of adultry or having sex with an animal.

The latest August polls show that the majority of Americans, and a bigger majority of democrats and independents support healthcare reform. This is a partisan issue. The republicans don't support it and never will. So, I say to the democrats that we helped put in office - vote for healthcare reform or we can just as easily vote you out of office.

You keep confusing 'heath care reform' with 'a government run health care insurance plan'. 2 Different things. Republicans want reform. Reform is a change in the way things are run. (Ins. companies, trial lawyers, medical professionals).We want reform, just not the kind that's being offered. You know, the government insurance option.

Edited by pattygreen