Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September 2009 Band Date

I was banded on 9/3 and the hunger is really starting to kick in. I'm having no problem eating soft foods and the restriction I originally had seems to be decreasing. I'm hanging in there until Oct 16th when I get my first fill. I felt great immediately after, and I swear, if I didn't have healing incisions, I think I could almost believe I had never been banded. Thankfully, I've lost 16 lbs since the 3rd. Is this hunger normal?

They call this time "bandster hell" lol. It is the time between when you are healed and start to feel the hunger and when you get your fill. It is very common. I havent got there yet, but I expect it to hit me very soon too. Just eat and try to make good choices. It's like dieting on your own again. I well be out of town and won't get my first fill until my 8th week so I hope I can hangon to my willpower for a couple weeks. That's why I am trying to make the most of this time when my hunger is not back yet.

Well the cultures came back from my skin infection and it's Mrsa.............so I have to get another antibiotic called bactrim. I have my appt. at the surgeons office tomorrow at 9:30 and they are going to check it, she said sometimes this certain type of infection can definately be a cause for port removal for up to 4 months and it may delay my first fill if it's not cleared up in time. From what I understand this particular infection can get into the port itself and cause problems and not clear up easily. Just a word to you all don't assume just because you have no fever that you have no infection........I still have NOT run a fever and I noticed the infection on Thursday. If your inscison doesn't look "normal" or you feel alot more pain 2wks after surgery than you did right after surgery something is not right. I had a large red area, itchyness, warm/hot to touch, hard packed tissue like thing all around and on my inscisonand no puss til the 2nd day and it was very very sore...............but NO FEVER don't wait for the fever to get checked. This particular infection can be hard to treat.

i'll keep ya posted...................Goodluck to the rest of you, don't get scared by this post.....there aren't many people that get this from this surgery i've already had it in the past so i was more susceptible (sp?) Take care

Well the cultures came back from my skin infection and it's Mrsa.............so I have to get another antibiotic called bactrim. I have my appt. at the surgeons office tomorrow at 9:30 and they are going to check it, she said sometimes this certain type of infection can definately be a cause for port removal for up to 4 months and it may delay my first fill if it's not cleared up in time. From what I understand this particular infection can get into the port itself and cause problems and not clear up easily. Just a word to you all don't assume just because you have no fever that you have no infection........I still have NOT run a fever and I noticed the infection on Thursday. If your inscison doesn't look "normal" or you feel alot more pain 2wks after surgery than you did right after surgery something is not right. I had a large red area, itchyness, warm/hot to touch, hard packed tissue like thing all around and on my inscisonand no puss til the 2nd day and it was very very sore...............but NO FEVER don't wait for the fever to get checked. This particular infection can be hard to treat.

i'll keep ya posted...................Goodluck to the rest of you, don't get scared by this post.....there aren't many people that get this from this surgery i've already had it in the past so i was more susceptible (sp?) Take care

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal.. I hope you get good news from the surgeon tomorrow.. Keep us posted as this information helps immensely... I will keep you in my prayers..

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal.. I hope you get good news from the surgeon tomorrow.. Keep us posted as this information helps immensely... I will keep you in my prayers..

Thankyou so much, i hope there is good news tomorrow.....one more thing.....CA MRSA (community acquired) is contagious if the wound is open or leaking Fluid

I am so so sorry to hear that. I was really hoping that it wouldn't be anything and that things could continue smoothly for you. I hope its doesn't get any worse and that you can stay banded. Take care of yourself.

I am so so sorry to hear that. I was really hoping that it wouldn't be anything and that things could continue smoothly for you. I hope its doesn't get any worse and that you can stay banded. Take care of yourself.

Thankyou very much Loveslady :smile2: I hope I caught it and started treating it soon enough.

Well, today is the 28th, and at 2pm, I was supposed to be among the "banded". Unfortunately, this didn't happen. I started my liquid diet 10 days ago, 2 fridays ago. On the night before I started my liquid diet, i started having horrible horrible horrible diarrhea. I have gallbladder dumping syndrome, so this really wasn't out of the ordinary. Fast forward to six days later, and I still had the horrible diarrhea. Yes, for 6 days straight. But I thought maybe it was because I had not had any solid foods, maybe I wouldn't have a solid poo(TMI, sorry). I had to work twelve hours Saturday at work(xray tech) and it was soo busy, and while at work I was having left lower abd pain(felt like a gas pocket), horrendous back pain(i have bulging disks) and then I felt like my sugar dropped. Well, we were so busy I didn't get to eat lunch and so I figured that my sugar had dropped so I drank some chocolate milk and felt better. Still had back pain and abd pain. Which i thought could be a ovarian cyst or diverticulitis, but i figured diverticulitis was out of the question because i had been on liquids for so long. So while at work Saturday, i threw up. I went home, ran a fever all night. 6am the next morning i felt better so i went to work. While at work, my pain got worse. By 11am I decided to go to emergency room. One CT scan later, and I have an ovarian cyst and diverticulitis. So i get my antibiotics in the ER and I got admitted. Apparently my Potassium levels were really low because they pumped me full of potassium which hurt my IV site like you would not believe. About midnight i was given 2 of dilaudid(i had only been given one in the ER) and not long after I started vomiting. So then my nurse gave me IV Phenergen. Apparently i am a cheap drunk, because i knocked me so hard on my ass that i quite breathing in my sleep repeatedly. My pulse ox dropped int the 30% range and they had a horrible time getting me to stay awake to breath on my own. I apparently gave them quite a scare. Eventually I was given Narcan to reverse the effects of the narcotics and was doing better, but still by pulse ox levels were dropping into the 60% range. Today, I have been receiving IV antibiotics, and still getting potassium. I am having to stay overnight again, and I have no idea when they will do the surgery. I am so upset, I was so excited to have the surgery and now all this BS happens. :tongue2: I am hoping that maybe tomorrow they will tell me I can still have the surgery this week. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!! I hope the others that were supposed to have their surgery today had a better day than me!

Good luck on your day tomorrow...

I am hoping that maybe tomorrow they will tell me I can still have the surgery this week. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!! I hope the others that were supposed to have their surgery today had a better day than me!

Aww I am sooo sorry your not feeling well. As badly as you want your band, you don't want to have it put in until you are feeling better. Your liquid diet will continue afterwards. Good Luck!

Hello everyone! Tomorrow will be 1 week since i was banded. Im still a little sore and the gas can be bad but i feel a lot better today then i have all week. Since the preop liquid diet i have now lost 24 pounds. Im so excited but have a long way to go and know it wont always be so easy for it t come off. Hope eveyone is well! :tongue2:

HI

Banded 8/31 will that due??

We welcome you to the Sexy Septembers! Scroll back to our list and add your name if you like :)

Hello everyone! Tomorrow will be 1 week since i was banded. Im still a little sore and the gas can be bad but i feel a lot better today then i have all week. Since the preop liquid diet i have now lost 24 pounds. Im so excited but have a long way to go and know it wont always be so easy for it t come off. Hope eveyone is well! :)

I am 2wks post op today, everyday your soreness will be less and so will the gas. 24 pounds is amazing, don't minimize your accomplishment! I set myself mini goals, 10 lbs each, something to help keep that feeling of accomplishment fresh!:tongue2:

Hey Everyone.

I haven't posted on this thread in a while (or in general). I had so much to catch up on with work and life once I got my full energy back...I didn't have as much time for luxuries like reading forums!

At any rate, I am checking in since we are near the end of the month, so most everyone has had their surgery. I see we have a few more yet to go...good luck to you guys...as you can read, you have nothing to worry about.

Amanda - We got banded the same day and have lost the exact same amount of wait post-op. Way to go girl. I don't get a fill until 10/16, but I am not having too many hunger issues so I am okay with that. I am actually going to approach fills more conservatively anyway.

I am still on the soft foods phase, so I haven't had any discomfort or stuck issues. I have felt a tightness when I have eaten more than a cup of food. I don't have any Fluid in my band, but I can definitely tell it is there.

It is tempting to eat and drink once you can if you don't have any fluid in your band - but this healing phase is key - don't overdo it...sip...and eat small portions!

Exercise - I am definitely not the type that can run either, but I must say, I would not miss a Zumba class for anything! I am now going three times a week. At 800-1000 calories burned per class I am melting away the inches! I know my calorie count is accurate because I have a GoWearFit that I have worn to measure it. The variance is, of course, based on my personal level of intensity :tongue2: No matter what you do - don't leave exercise out of your regimen.

*Hugs* to all - and best of luck to everyone. Just remember, slow and steady is the way to make it to the end!

I'm proud of you as well. Keep up the great work.

I'm sorry to hear that, take care of yourself.:tongue2:

Well, today is the 28th, and at 2pm, I was supposed to be among the "banded". Unfortunately, this didn't happen. I started my liquid diet 10 days ago, 2 fridays ago. On the night before I started my liquid diet, i started having horrible horrible horrible diarrhea. I have gallbladder dumping syndrome, so this really wasn't out of the ordinary. Fast forward to six days later, and I still had the horrible diarrhea. Yes, for 6 days straight. But I thought maybe it was because I had not had any solid foods, maybe I wouldn't have a solid poo(TMI, sorry). I had to work twelve hours Saturday at work(xray tech) and it was soo busy, and while at work I was having left lower abd pain(felt like a gas pocket), horrendous back pain(i have bulging disks) and then I felt like my sugar dropped. Well, we were so busy I didn't get to eat lunch and so I figured that my sugar had dropped so I drank some chocolate milk and felt better. Still had back pain and abd pain. Which i thought could be a ovarian cyst or diverticulitis, but i figured diverticulitis was out of the question because i had been on liquids for so long. So while at work Saturday, i threw up. I went home, ran a fever all night. 6am the next morning i felt better so i went to work. While at work, my pain got worse. By 11am I decided to go to emergency room. One CT scan later, and I have an ovarian cyst and diverticulitis. So i get my antibiotics in the ER and I got admitted. Apparently my Potassium levels were really low because they pumped me full of potassium which hurt my IV site like you would not believe. About midnight i was given 2 of dilaudid(i had only been given one in the ER) and not long after I started vomiting. So then my nurse gave me IV Phenergen. Apparently i am a cheap drunk, because i knocked me so hard on my ass that i quite breathing in my sleep repeatedly. My pulse ox dropped int the 30% range and they had a horrible time getting me to stay awake to breath on my own. I apparently gave them quite a scare. Eventually I was given Narcan to reverse the effects of the narcotics and was doing better, but still by pulse ox levels were dropping into the 60% range. Today, I have been receiving IV antibiotics, and still getting potassium. I am having to stay overnight again, and I have no idea when they will do the surgery. I am so upset, I was so excited to have the surgery and now all this BS happens. :tongue2: I am hoping that maybe tomorrow they will tell me I can still have the surgery this week. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!! I hope the others that were supposed to have their surgery today had a better day than me!

I know you have to be disappointed but I know you want to be healthy for surgery and if it doesn't happen today, it will happen soon, just take care of yourself. I'm a nurse and you would have scared me as well. take care.