Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you wish someone told you ?

Hi all - Being banding Aug 3 ( ! ) - and I would like to ask everyone who has been banded...

"What do you wish you would have known about the surgery/first week (or beyond) of recovery that no one told you..."

My clinic's nurse told me yesterday that after the surgery the air that is used to pump you up leaves your body after surgery...migrating up...so that is why people's shoulders hurt the few days after recovery. Now that is a useful piece of info!

Any bits of wise wisdom out there for sharing?

I have no idea how to do the ticker yet...but I've lost 12.7 pounds in 12 days pre-op diet...on my own, no medi-fast ((yuck)). Excited and nervous! :)

~Renee' D.

Well since you will have NO food in your tummy be very careful of the drugs they give you by drip for the pain. They can and most likely will make you sick. I dry heaved and it was most painful.

Also the pain in the shoulders is for real but no one told me that it would be really in your back right under the shoulder blades this too was very painful however ice packs and walking really did the trick of pain free in about 2 days.

Also there is the issue of being dizzy and lightheaded from lack of food intake...be very careful to get your Protein in this will help along with as much Water that you can drink.

My clinic's nurse told me yesterday that after the surgery the air that is used to pump you up leaves your body after surgery...migrating up...so that is why people's shoulders hurt the few days after recovery. Now that is a useful piece of info!

~Renee' D.

WHOA! I think perhaps she misspoke; what happens is the diaphragm is irritated and in turn irritates the phrenic nerve which agitates your left shoulder. It's not "migrating gas".

The gas pumped in during surgery can play a part in the irritation of the diaphragm but it's not just the gas that causes the pain. (and fyi post op really good surgeons remove most of that gas!)

Not that it matters, I guess...because either way it hurts! :) But that's misinformation! :)

I was pretty well ready for post op so there was nothing I discovered that I wish I'd known in advance. I was HUNGRY from the start, but that's nothing new! :)

Good luck!

I have to say that there really isn't much that I wish they would have told me that I didn't get here before I had my surgery. I read so many post about the gas because I was really nervous about that and the common denominator in all the threads was WALK WALK WALK AND WALK some more so, that's what I did. I really didn't have any problems except for at night I used a heating pad on my back.

The other thing is sleep in a recliner for the first few days. I tried laying in bed and just cried. So, I slept in the recliner for the first three or four days.

Good luck on your surgery!

I think I was pretty prepared for everything except the shoulder pain. Mine was severe but I used heat and it really helped. Other than that, I really didn't understand the timing between my first fill and my surgery. I knew all about it but until I experienced it, I didn't understand how difficult it would be. This forum has helped me through it so much. When I get the urge to eat or get depressed, I come on here and type or read. It really helps. I am good now and so glad I got banded. My weight loss is a little slow but I am anxious to hit that sweet spot. Good Luck and let us know how your surgery goes once you feel up to it.

That I wouldn't need to stock up on so damn much Soup. LOL

I'm not a big Soup fan but I knew it would be important during the few weeks after surgery before I could eat "real food", so I stocked up. Boy, did I stock up. :) Way too much. LOL

That life after the healing isn't that much different than life before surgery as far as eating goes. Oh, sure - I eat a lot less and I avoid some things. But it's not like this HUGE thing that impacts my entire life. I don't need to buy all sorts of special foods, I don't need to eat differently than my family with regard to what we serve. I just eat less of it, and less in between. It's pretty much a non-issue, really.

That I wouldn't need to stock up on so damn much Soup. LOL

I'm not a big soup fan but I knew it would be important during the few weeks after surgery before I could eat "real food", so I stocked up. Boy, did I stock up. :) Way too much. LOL

That life after the healing isn't that much different than life before surgery as far as eating goes. Oh, sure - I eat a lot less and I avoid some things. But it's not like this HUGE thing that impacts my entire life. I don't need to buy all sorts of special foods, I don't need to eat differently than my family with regard to what we serve. I just eat less of it, and less in between. It's pretty much a non-issue, really.

For me, it was stocking up on too much Protein powder. I thought I would have to be having them at least once a day, forever. Was I glad I was wrong on that count! Now the only thing I add the vanilla or chocolate powders to is pudding.

I also fully agree with Linda "that life after the healing isn't that much different than life before surgery as far as eating goes." I was afraid I wouldn't be able to eat so many of my favorite foods after being banded, that I gorged my self on them prior, but I find if I cut steak and other meats into small pieces and chew, chew, chew, I can eat almost anything, just a lot less of it. Since I'm full from the Protein & veggies, I am not as tempted by dessert afterwards.

never thought abt ading Protein Powder to the puddings, thx

I spoke to a friend who told me about the gas, that was the worst part of eveything and don't sit on the phone right after surgery, because you tend to stay still and that is the worse thing to do, stock up on gas-x strips for immediate relief and phayzyme tabs...

Two days till band date, I am glad you started this thread...

I wish that someone had told me that they pump you so full of fluids that you might gain weight at first. I followed my pre-op diet to a "t" and also the post-op diet. I was banded on a Thursday morning and by Saturday I'd gained 9 lbs! :) I didn't know this was normal and that I would lose it over the next few days and then lose alot more :) It was just Fluid retention.

Best wishes to you. I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

I wish someone had told me that if you get stuck really bad you have to get more fill than you wanted taken out and you might go back to old habits...and it's really hard relying on willpower and having everyone tell you that willpower is all you have because the band "is just a tool"...and my tool right now is a screwdriver because I am totally screwed unless I get my fill put back in because I am a total food addict that obiously has issues

I wish I had known how easy the recovery was going to be. I wouldn't have worried so much. I know it isn't easy for everyone though.

Agreed, Flowerchild! I was banded on Thursday and yesterday (Sat) I went to a wedding! Not the reception but just the ceremony. Recovery has been a lot less painful than I thought it would be. I did start walking from the get go. That helps with gas more than anything! Also drink Water Water water in the hospital. I think that helped too.

I know it definitely isn't easy for everyone and I know how painful it can be. My MIL had lapband as well.

I did wish someone told me I'd still be hungry. I figured I would be completely repelled by food but I am not. Granted I am not thinking about food all the time like I was pre-op but I still have my tummy rumble sometimes. The good news is the liquids do fill you up.

My doctor did tell me about taking something to help my bowels to move after being under, but I didn't. AND I paid, big time. try to add a little benefiber or something to your drinks so you don't become constipated. good luck.

I was banded on 07-07-09, and I wish someone had told me it was normal to have an "emotional meltdown" after surgery. On days three and four after surgery, I cried for two solid days, and wondered what in the world had I done to myself and my life!!!!!!! I too, am a total food addict, and the thought hit me hard that I would never be able to eat a lot of any of my favorite foods again!!!! I know that is the whole point of getting banded, but for me it was devastating. I think the one thing that contributed to my emotional state at that time was the fact that I could consume ONLY liquids for two solid weeks! I lost 20 pounds in three weeks after surgery, but it those first two weeks were very hard to me. Now, I am so glad I did have the surgery and my outlook is positive. Just be prepared in case that happens to you. Be aware ahead of time that if you do feel that way, it will pass and you will get better!!!!!!!!!!

Kakki