Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days out - why am i only allowed SUGAR-FREE jello?

dr insists my post-op liquid diet is only Water, clear broth & sugar free Jello (no juices). i asked about regular Jello (w/sugar in it) and they said no. no reason, just no.

i ask only because i can't handle artificial sweeteners - all of them. i get killer Migraines from them and i've already had 2 since sunday.

so basically, i'm limited to Water & broth (i get an msg free/nearly free kind, though, because msg is also a Migraine trigger for me). woo?

so am i limited to the sugar free kind just because of the calories or will the sugar interfere with healing?

Have you tried Stevia? It is an herb that is sweet. Most large grocery stores carry it and so do health food stores. I love it and also try to stay away from artificial sweetners

You could make your own Jello with unflavored knox Gelatin and unsweetened Koolaid or something like that.....

For my doctor, it was about the calories and breaking the carb addiction while on the healing liquid phase of the diet. You don't want the crashes that you would get from having too much sugar. That way, by the time you are allowed to eat without fear of breaking the sutures that are holding the band in place, you are no longer craving the carbs from sugar. Talk to your doctor about your Migraines. Your doctor may allow you to have the regular sugar items on occasion. Good luck to you!

Once you have gotten all the sugar you need, the rest of it is turned into fat...so if you start eating a lot of sugary things, you are just defeating your end goal. With that in mind, some sugar every once in a while is ok, you're human. The post op liquid days were not so bad for me...I wasn't very hungry. Just stick to the diet so your band doesnt slip. good luck!

P.S you can sugar free popsicles!

so they're just trying to be calorie/sugar nazis? = i have all fruit popsicles and juices that would be nice/refreshing to have, in addition to the broth and Water i'm having (mostly just Water, really). sure, i could have caffeine free tea, too, but i hate all teas (tea tastes like dirt water, imo. i know a lot of people like it but eh, no thanks).

yes, i'm difficult. i'm just aggravated with the Migraines and just the water. i'm actually not hungry. my head is killing me (again, yay), and i'm thirsty but can't drink like my body needs me to, now.

fyi, no issues with diabetes, cholesterol, high bp or any of that, pre-surgery.

artificial sweetners make me really ill, I explained this to my surgeon and he told me regular Jello & pudding was ok. Did you explain to your doc about the Migraines? I hope you feel better soon.

artificial sweetners make me really ill, I explained this to my surgeon and he told me regular Jello & pudding was ok. Did you explain to your doc about the Migraines? I hope you feel better soon.

thank you :biggrin:

and yes, i did, and the nurses too, they were unfailing in their sugar-free policy. just said, well, you'll just have to stick with the broth, then. one nurse said, "it's all glorified Water, anyway" - trying to make the point that they just want me to have Water the first few days.

what makes me wonder about that sugar free Jello stuff is that they are pretty anti-artificial sweeteners for the program (lots of people that come in for surgery feel they can't live without their diet drinks, for example). they said the artificial sweeteners can cause people to actually crave sweets (based on some studies they didn't cite). i don't have any problems with that because i am not a fan of the chemical nature of the sweeteners and i feel the migraines i have are a natural reaction - my body saying, HEY! what they heck kind of crap are you eating/drinking?! i'm hoping the band can help me towards eating a more natural, chemical/additive free diet - ie little to no more processed foods. i hope with the physical restriction, it will be easier. because otherwise...well i'm sure plenty of you understand the draw of the convenience, price and taste of the processed foods!

anyway, more griping on my part. i'm grouchy and sore. and BORED OUT OF MY MIND. staring at a computer screen is hurting my head, too, so it's adding to the aggravation. but, i get to shower today. yay! :sad:

My doctor allows us to have Protein Shakes, at least two a day to get our Protein, what we add to them is a bonus. I am one week out today and have found that I love a vanilla Protein Shake with fresh watermelon blended in. I believe my doctor is definitely different in his thinking, good for me in the end.

I have learned from family members that have had this surgery that they became very sensitive to sugary and/or fatty foods.

Good luck!

that's cool.

my surgeon's program actually has patients starting soft Proteins on day 4 (surgery day is day 1). so the liquid thing is only for 3 days. they do this because they know the band doesn't work if you're not eating actual food. i have my post-op follow up w/him next week.

so tomorrow, i get to eat some real food! i'm not sure what, yet, but i'm excited. i'm feeling kind of hungry for the first time today and the chicken broth was pretty good (couldn't "eat" it all yesterday). i've just been grouchy/complainy about the Clear Liquids thing...

i just hope the gaseousness gets better, not worse, when i start to really eat.