Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared at the first hurdle!!

I weigh 280lbs am 5' 6", and just 33. I hate what I look at, I dont own a mirror, I despise them..well whats looking back anyway and while I know that this band isnt a miracle cure, I also know its the beginning of a new life. One full of self esteem, energy and a full and long life. So, why when I am just 2 days away from my pre op assessment (not even a date yet?) am I so nervous. So many questions? Can anyone give me some advice I have the list of the usual but am sure there some out of there that I havent thought of!! How much weight can I expect to lose in the first few months following surgery, I have nightmares that I lose it too quickly and have acres (yes acres!!) of sagging skin!!! I just dont know what to expect and I know what the Dr will help will some of my questions but I would love to hear some success stories and any advice anyone can give...thank you, I am looking forward to chatting with you all over our journey!! :biggrin:

Edited by NickiNoo33

May I say...take a deep breath! It's a process. They probably won't band you during that first appointment! (although you may wish they would!) You'll have time to ask more questions, figure it all out. It is a BIG step ... a big change, and even the most brilliant of us wouldn't/couldn't absorb it all at once!

Its mad...all these emotions in one hit. I have got the obesity Nurse in the morning and the consultant in the afternoon. I just want it done!! I am so impatient :thumbup: I was told within 18 weeks but seeing as I have been waiting 16 weeks to get this appointment I dont think it will be, that doesnt bother me the waiting, its the anticpation I struggle with. Any hints or tips you could give, with all the best will in the world unless my surgeon has one himself (and his blurb doesnt suggest it) he cant explain to me the ups and downs that somebody who has gone through it can. Any major donts that you have come across, sorry for so many questions but I wanna be prepared read so much but as yet havent come across anyone who has had it done...thank you :lol:

My first assessment was more than 2 yrs ago and I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was a bundle of nerves and thought at the slightest side-way look from my surgeon I would burst into tears. Like the post before me said, please take a deep breath and TRY to relax. The Lap-Band was by far the best thing I ever did for myself. There has not been one time that I have regreted my decision. To date I have lost over 80lbs that I could not do on my own. I'm not going to say that it has been easy or that the weight has just fallen off. Not only did I lose the excess weight I carried around but I also gained a new life that I thought I would never have back. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to write me. But a huge congrats on taking the first step to a healthier you!!!

My sister is here and we're about to play Rock band LOL but I will post later...odds are someone else will post though and help you out! good luck!

Ok hope I can remember all your questions. I honestly haven't had anything I'd consider downs. It took a long time for me to get restriction but I expected that after a long talk with my surgeon. I love my band. I think something VERY important that isn't always stressed is to follow a preop diet if you're given one (in the few weeks to days before surgery) and FOLLOW the post op diet. If you're like a lot of us "cheating" occasionally on a diet is almost a way of life. The pre- and post-op diets with lap band, though...don't cheat. Tough them out. Preop is usually to shrink your liver (all don't need that) and post op is to allow your band to heal. Cheating on your post op diet can really set you up for problems.

I'm pretty optimistic and have really had a great band experience, don't have any cons, negatives or "wish I would've" (except maybe not doing my "own" preop diet the first time through and not getting the band 1st surgery as a consequence) but that's all on me.

Ok well, I had some real inner fighting going on with myself before I got the band. I was so nervous and concerned about whether or not I was doing the right thing for myself and my family. I knew without a doubt I needed to do something that I thought was drastic but I wasn't sure I wanted WLS. I was so paranoid about the surgery and the care required afterward. I took about a year to attend seminars and finally pick a surgeon (gaining weight the entire time I might add). I would be for it then against it and so on. That is, until my older brother's wedding. I have posted it on a thread before but I wanted to tell you also. His wedding was May 23rd. I flew to Atlanta and I had done a lot of preparation buying new clothes, shoes, everything, spending big bucks on my hair and nails, etc. You get the idea. Thinking I looked pretty good but still knowing I was overweight just not registering it. So I go, and man were there a ton of the "beautiful people" there from LA, New York, everywhere. I was deflated in a real big hurry. All the prep I had done meant nothing in about 2 minutes flat. So, after an entire weekend of crying my eyes out, I made up my mind right then and there to do it and never looked back. I was banded less than a month later. That is how determined I became. I even had pre-testing and insurance to go through and did it in record time. Now, a little more than a month later and awaiting my first fill on 08-04-09 and already 25 lbs. lighter, I am more thrilled than I can explain. I never thought I would see the day that I could lose weight instead of gain. I had a host of medical problems not just caused by weight gain and I had just come off of 2 years of oral steriods for a skin condition. But the weight is coming off with some work and determination. Hope you find that determination and decide what to do. Good Luck!