Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Blood Pressure... grrrr

I went to my doctor this morning to get some relief from my allergies. Apparently I have high blood pressure to the extent they want me on medication now. I am 27 years old and on high blood pressure meds. :)

So far I've lost between 25-30lbs since being banded August 9th. I know it hasn't been that long since I've had my surgery, but I am still bummmed, this is one of the reasons I had the surgery.

I need to pick myself up from being down about it I guess and get more serious about getting this weight off.

Anyone else on HCTZ? They are starting me off on a Water pill to see if that helpls, I have to go in for blood work and back in 2 weeks for another blood pressure check.

That sucks Carrie. I'm sure in time and with additional weight loss the bp will come down. I never had high bp until now :) Just watch your salt intake and see what happens at your next visit.

Good luck !!!

Carrie don't worry about it because I was on 4 hbp meds and now I am on 2. Thanks to loosing 40 pounds. I am sure this will be your only perscription. It is only a Water pill and once you loose a little more I am sure your pressure will come down and your doctor will take you off of it.

I feel your pain sister! I was put on a blood pressure med that contains HCTZ a few months after I was banded. Since I have lost my last 10 lbs., my ankles quit swelling, so I know it is just a matter of time before I can come off the BP med. I have been checking my BP religiously. I know that you will get there too! Probably soon! Keep your chin up! ;-)

YOu wont be on it for long! And exercise is one of the BEST ways to bring blood pressure down quickly, tryin to destress and not worry about it helps too.

You are doing the best thing you possibly could for yourself and it will work.

I'm also on HCTZ along with a beta blocker. Actually, embrace the BP meds, they will help you now and you will SOON get off of them!! Be strong!

Yeah, watch the salt. That REALLY affects me. I'm down from 40 to 10 gms of Lisinopril (could not handle the diuertic as I already wee-wee-wee all the way home everyday!)

Also if you are taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin that can affect your pressure--as well as some...b's (? anyone know which?) I think.

I stopped taking the Lisonopril altogether when my BP was down for several days checking and after 2 wks checked again--152/95. Hm. Not good. Guess I'll stay on the low dose meds. Don't notice any ill side-effects.

Carrie I to take cholesterol and blood pressure meds... I've been taking them all most a year now and I just turned 28 yrs old. I went to dr for check up the other day and My cholesterol was 170... it was 257 before I lost anyweight. Also my blood pressure as of right now is in normal range and my dr says as long as I keep losing weight it will get better and better and before long she will take me off both medications. Take the medication if your dr thinks it will help. You losing weight will get you healthier and you will probably not even need it any more. Good luck and don't stress over this... its just a bump in the road and it will only make you strive to lose the weight and to get to a healthier new you that won't need medications to help you be healthy anymore.

I used to be on HCTZ a year ago, and had to have a D&C - well they did blood work and discovered that my potassium was almost zero and my Calcium too high. The doctor said these (especially potassium) are both potentially deadly as they throw your electrolytes off and that affects your heart.

So my caution is watch your potassium while you are on the med!! Talk to your doctor about monitoring your levels. I was banded on 9/19 and haven't graduated to bananas yet (when can I eat these, can they be mushy?- I love them) but at the time I ate 1 a day and thay balanced things out. I am since off the med. ps - it makes you pee a lot so all that Water is extra important to drink.

Good luck!!