Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded tomorrow 20th! ...

I am so NERVOUS! I have never had any type surgery whats so ever! NONE!

SO today i need to get ready and buy the stuff I need for the week.

What do you suggest I should get that worked for you all? Brand..etc?

OHHH Multivitamin & Calcium supplements? I"ve never bought any before.. what brand would work best for being banded... I'd be nervous to take anything with just being newly banded.

Your help is greated appreciated!

Kat

heyy, im not banded (july 31st) yet but dont be too nervous (i am too but my nervousness went down a bit) this is going to be my first real surgery i mean i had my wisdom teeth out but this is a bigger surgery, am excited =D

any chewable or liquid multivitamin and Calcium but i dont think those come in liquid. ask your doc what kinds are the best cause i need to do the same (:

i am kind of nervous taking any too but i know chewable are what to take, just make sure you chew them thoroughly

sorry if im not much help =/

good luck (:

Thanks! I am going to ask again... I know they told me. but goodness. my nerves are getting the best of me I caN'T REMEMBER!

my BF was out of town for the weekend.. i really wanted him here.. so i won't think about it.. but he's not.. he's on his way home.. kind of upset.. but oh well! I'm rambling! LOL

sorry :wink2:

thanks for the info!

Hi Kat,

I just had my surgery on July 14th and I did a video on what I purchased on youtube...here is the link: YouTube - Lapband Video #2 - What I Purchased

Good luck tomorrow!!! Let me know if you have any questions. By the way this is going to be the best thing you have ever done for yourself :wink2:.

DONT spend a lot of money on "liquid" stuff. You may not need it. I didn't. Please understand that you get the band and may be swollen for a couple of days post op (that's normal) but then the swelling abates and unless the doc has filled you a great deal, your band will be open and it will be as if you don't even have it. Swallowing pills and food won't be an issue. Post op you need to follow the diet as given so you can heal. If you are on liquids for a while you don't want to take a multi Vitamin anyway because it can irritate your stomach.

As you start to heal and feel better, you'll have a better idea of what you can take etc. I take my normal 6-pack multi and 2 HUGE potassium pills (they are the biggest pill I've ever seen and I'm a nurse) and no problems. And I am at my sweet spot.

So save your money for smaller clothes! :wink2:

If you're set on buying liquid Vitamins I easily found liquid Calcium and an adult liquid multivitamin (Centrum) at my local store. I've heard many folks in support group say that they don't have any issues with taking whole pills.

My surgery is also tomorrow. Best of luck to us both!

I am getting banded on the 29th, so I know the nervousness you are feeling. I will pray for you!

As far as Multivitamins, my doctor said to take a- One A Day,or a Centrum, or you can take the equivalent(2 a day-the adult dose) of a chewable childrens multivitamin.

Calcium could be Calcium carbonate: chewable or crushable(500 mg, 2-3times per day; such as Tums, Viactiv Chews, Oscal) or Calcium citrate:(500, 2-3 times per day-such as Citracal.

Good Luck to you, let us all know how you are doing!

God Bless.

Kat and Bette-

I join you tomorrow as well!!!! I know it is kinda of late for this Kat but Dr.head RN who had bypass 6 yrs ago,told me not to get too much in advance because you never know what you will tolerate or want after surgury. She did say make sure to get and use you pain meds and the anti-nausa meds.

All the beat to us ALLL..

By the way I am so freaked right now-

Congratulations to all of you!!! Tommorow is the start of a new life for all of you! It is an amazing journey the band will take you on. I think of it as one of the best decisions of my life. I take a multivitamin, Calcium, and a stool softner daily. I never needed a chewable or liquid. I also recommend getting lots of juice for after surgery. I recommend Dt. Ocean spray in a variety of flavors. I also recommend carnation instant Breakfast. It tastes great and is an excellent source of Protein and Vitamins. Good luck to all of you!

I'm right there with you folks!! I'm getting banded tomorrow too!! I'm excited/nervous, and ready to have it over with! I'm STARVING!! I was told to eat breakfast and then only Clear Liquids all day! I just caught myself watching Top Chef!! I've noticed that I'm surrounded by food all the time, magazines, tv, radio, no wonder I'm overweight!!

Good luck to everyone!! Thanks for the info on the youtube video, I'm going to watch it now. Also, they sell special Vitamins for lapband patients. I'm going to order them online this week. I was told not to start taking them for a week or two, your stomach needs to heal.

Good luck everyone! Good Speed!

Teacher....Thanks so much, we all appreciate your encouragement and suggestions! As for myself, I start a 5 day presurgery liquid diet on Friday. I know this is going to be a struggle for me!!! I've never fasted for more than 12hrs...LOL. I hope I make it!!

Thank you soooo much for the video, it sure helped me make a list of items to stock up on. I get banded on the 29th..haven't bought a thing yet!!!

I hope you are doing well!!!

Penny it is funny how different every doctors directions for surgery are. I never even had to be on a liquid diet before surgery. I could eat right up until the night before surgery. I chose to do a liquid for lunch the week before only because I wanted to get used to only having liquids. I think that it would be alot harder before surgery rather than after because after you really dont feel like anything but liquids for awhile. You will do just great though, think of the amazing results to come. You will learn to eat food for nutrition instead of other reasons. It is unbelievable how this will change your life!

sounds like there is alot of people getting banded around the same date! my surgery is tomorrow (july 21st).. i can not wait and getting a little nervous too... i think i'm more nervous because i don't have control of whats going on as far as how its going to feel and how i will react to being put under since its been a while that has happened to me. didn't do to good the last time with coming out of recovery... worried about that one! i did stock up on a few items for after surgery though. SF popsicles, slim fast, Isopure, carnation instant breakfast and some Soups. since i didn't have to do a liquid diet prior to surgery, don't know how being liquids afterwards will be. little scared about that one but can not wait for the results!!

good luck everyone!