Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introducing myself & My Story so far...

Great story, and I too, was banded on August 10th. My problem is also getting rid of the gas pains. But I did read here that I could try Gax X or Maaloz, and will go out tomorrow and get some. My stomach just seems so bloated even after 5 days. Other than that, I am doing well. Keep posting to keep us updated on your progress.

Janice

Hey Janice - I was banded 8/12 - I'm still wicked bloated... did it get better for you??

*Update*

Hi guys I'm back to give you guys an update!!!

Today I'm 9 days post op and I couldn't be feeling better (believe me when people say everyday gets better, it really does), I'm 97% back to my old self. The only thing bothering me now is a little gas pain (only a little here and there), a little soreness around the port area and keeping certain foods down. Which all of these are at least tolerable now so I don't mind them at ALL! I'm going to start up my cycling classes and P90X to start losing some of this weight and get to my first goal of [being] 180lbs, that means I have 79lbs to go!! I hope I can get there soon or even bypass that goal into my OMG goal of [being] 150lbs! I feel great and am soo happy and blessed I got the surgery. I'm looking forward to my first fill in about 4 and half weeks so I'll make sure to update you guys then or even before that. Everyone let me know how your surgeries have gone and/or how the process is coming along. Much love and blessings to all who need it!!! :biggrin:

mrsparker621 wrote:

I was banded 8/12 - I'm still wicked bloated... did it get better for you??

and Jancsoulmate wrote:

Great story, and I too, was banded on August 10th. My problem is also getting rid of the gas pains. But I did read here that I could try Gax X or Maaloz, and will go out tomorrow and get some. My stomach just seems so bloated even after 5 days. Other than that, I am doing well. Keep posting to keep us updated on your progress.

Hi mrssparker621 and Jancsoulmate,

I'm sorry you are still feeling bloated and full of gas. I know it is really painful and uncomfortable. I felt that gas pain for a while and I am just now getting over the big part of it (and its been 9 days since my surgery!)!! The only thing I can suggest to you is first of all believe me even if it seems like it will never go away it WILL, everyday gets better (I know at first that was hard for me to believe but it is really true), second the only way to really release the air and feel better is to fart (sorry if TMI but really that is one of the only ways to start releasing and feeling better, and third is to use some sort of anti-gas med (I'm not a doctor but use what your doctor recommends to you) I used Maalox (sp?) ,gas X strips and easy to swallow(very important to be the easy to swallow tabs) extra strength Tylenol tabs [for pain] and those really helped me but please ask your doctor what is ok for you. I hope this helps you and I hope you start feeling better!! Keep me updated on your status.:biggrin:

Edited by chrystinaw

*Update*

Hi everyone!!! Just here to give you all an update again, lol. I just found out today my fill date for my first fill! It is on Sept. 15. I'm really excited, I need to "super charge" my weight loss, lol. Also I wanted to let everyone know that I'm starting P90X for my exercise program and I hope with the band and working out i will lose a good amount of weight each month. Ok I'm done balbbering, TTYL :confused:

chystynaw, so glad you are doing well. Keep up the good work!! Did your dr. clear you already to do that P90X work out program? It looks like it will kick anyone's butt into shape, literally!! LOL! I've thought about ordering that so many times....but I think I've contributed a fortune already to the diet/weightloss industry. The only money I'm gonna part with over this anymore is going to be my gym membership, a trainer maybe a little later, and this surgery. If there was one stock you could buy for the weightloss/diet industry, I would have made enough to retire already!! Because I have tried everything from phenfen to hypnosis and all that's in between.

My update--When I thought I was done with all the testing and everything should be moving rapidly forward, it wasn't. My primary was supposed to send 5 years of my records to my surgeon, and it took a while to get ALL of them. Then, I have primary insurance with an exclusion clause but in order to satisfy Tricare, we had to submit and get a decline so that Tricare can decide to authorize and pay for the procedure. SOOO, now that's really ALL done and as soon as the decline is faxed/sent to the surgeon's office, THEN THEY CAN SUBMIT TO TRICARE FOR AUTHORIZATION!!! They already gave the surgeon a verbal and the written form is on it's way. So I'm probably within 3-4 days of finding out if I'm authorized and what my surgery date is!!!!! OMG!! OMG!! I can't believe it!!! I may not make an August date, but probably will in September. Depends on how quick I can get scheduled with the surgeon. OMG!! I'm trying to take off what I can before surgery so I will have that much less to lose. I've lost 7lbs over the last month so I am happy about that. I'm determined to keep at it whether banded or not, restricted or not. I'm gettin' closer to being able to say "I'M BANDED!!!" YEAY!!! Thanks for reading.

Hello, How is everyone doing? I hope some got their approvals or very close to it!

Sorry been MIA, I got my fill 9/15, went on vacation (to Glacier National Park), and started school so lots of things going on this month. I got my next fill date is on Oct 13th, so I will defiantly give an update then if not before. My fill went well my doctor had no problem accessing my port (It took less then 5 mins for the whole procedure)and did it without any medication at all (it only pinched for a second from the needle). I have 4cc in my band now and I do feel the difference. I've lost 23.4 pounds so far so I'm hoping for more with this my new fill and the next one to come. Thanks everyone for your support!! :smile2::thumbup:

Edited by chrystinaw

i was denied then approved! i go for my pre-op tomorrow!!! So how is your eating right now? what did you eat right before surgery?

Karen

HI,I was reading posts and saw this. I am also Triwest and it amazes me how they are all different. My daughter was banded 10/1/08 and mine was 7/10/09 and we didn't have to have a psyche evaluation or nutrition classes. We didnt have to do a pre- op diet either. Some people have to go thru alot.

Hi babyka16, I'm so happy for you getting approved! My eating right now is Protein, protein, protein! lol...I fell off the wagon for about a week and ate some bad carbs but I'm back on track and eating lots of protein and drinking my protein (shakes, coffee, etc.) as well. I love making protein Decaf coffee and protein Jello because they taste good and I don't taste the protein in them. I've noticed the more protein the more the weight comes off and faster, so eat meat first, and chew, chew, chew, believe me it’s harder than you think about the chewing thing. You think oh ok I can chew but if you don't chew good enough you can hurt yourself. I ate lots of protein jello, protein pudding, popsicles, and muscle milk before surgery (I still do now). The day before surgery I couldn't eat anything not even gum or peppermint. I hope this helps! Keep me updated on your surgery!:(

Hi margie2u, Yes it is amazing how Tricare is so different and how some people get approved fast, some slow, and some (that are even the same as the people who got approved fast) don't get approved at all and have to appeal. I don't understand how it all works all I know is I'm so very happy and blessed that mine went through quickly and I'm on my way to being happier and healthier.:(

I hope for the best for all that still are waiting, hang in there it will happen just got to have faith!!

how do you make Protein pudding and Jello?

Hi babyka16, here are the recipes...

Jello (any flavor you like and sugar free) - Basically follow the regular Jello instructions, except...

For most Jello you need two cups of Water, one cold, and one hot (boiled). In the cold water add a scoop of Protein Powder (vanilla or unflavored work best) and jello mix and blend really well. After that add the hot water that has cooled for 5 min and stir really well. Let set up in fridge for a couple of hours. I made mine in individual cups so I can have it measured out and easy to eat after my surgery.

Pudding (any flavor you like, needs to be sugar free and not the hot cooking kind)-Same thing follow regular pudding instructions, except...

For most pudding you need (I think) 2 cups of cold milk. I use skim milk. Add your Protein to the cold milk and blend really well, then add the pudding mix and blend well also. For the pudding if you are making chocolate pudding, the vanilla, unflavored, or chocolate flavored protein powder works really well. And for most all other flavors like vanilla or butterscotch pudding, ect., the vanilla or unflavored protein powder work best. Let set up in fridge for a couple of hours. I made mine in individual cups so I can have it measured out and easy to eat after my surgery.

I think the best kind of protein powder for taste is ProNos :biggrin:. I truly believe it is the best tasting one I've tried so far. I've tried the Sam's brand, EAS, which is cheaper and it is nasty :unsure: (I’m mad because I wasted $30 on it :angry:) and I've tried another from Wal-Mart, I forgot the name but it’s in a orange container and it is Okay but nothing like ProNos :w00t:. My husband and I got it from GNC but you can also get it a little cheaper off of eBay. I will say it is on the pricier side but believe me from experience with all the money you'll most likely put into protein powders (because you are either trying them out or don't like the one you bought before) you will save if you buy one you actually like, lol. GNC sells smaller bags of ProNos, you don't have to buy the big whole container at first so you can try it and see if you like it. My favorite is the vanilla, yummy! :biggrin:

Well I hope this helps and you can understand my “cooking” instructions :wub:...good luck!

Edited by chrystinaw

Hi meno123, that is great that you've lost so much weight. When did you get your sugery? How did you eat? What did you do for exercise? How are you maintaining your weight now? Sorry so many questions, just curious :biggrin:.

*Update*

I got my second fill on 10/13/09 and it went well, no problems finding my port. I now have a total of 5ccs in my band and I do feel the difference. I'm doing great with the weight loss, I'm now at 250.2 lbs ( I lost 27.4 lbs), and I can't believe the progress I've made this far. My next fill date is November 10th, so i'll update then again to let you guys know my weight loss and restriction status. I know I couldn't have done it without the help of the band. If you wanna know more info just write me!

Band Dust of all of the awaiting bansters!!! :)

Edited by chrystinaw