Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wish I had the ability to correct other peoples spelling on here

How about being on a forum about weight loss and using lose and loose incorrectly? I want to lose weight. Hope my band is not loose.

I've noticed that lately when I am in the midst of typing a sentence I suddenly cannot remember how to spell a simple 4 or 5 letter word. Sometimes the word I'm looking for completely escapes my mind. I don't know if aging is causing this or perhaps medication, stress?????? Don't know but I sure wish I knew how to fix the problem because it frustrates the heck out of me. It is especially bothersome when some know it all feels the need to rip you apart over a simple misspelling or lapse of memory.

I find the more I look at a word I've typed, the more I question the spelling. It looks right, sort of, but maybe not... I think computers are smart enough to figure out what we're thinking and just put in the right word (spelled correctly) for us! The English language is so weird. Why have words like read, lead, etc. Are they pronounced as red and led or reed and leed??? And phone? Where's the "f" in that word?? I feel sorry for people trying to learn English as their 2nd language. I think I'd give up :smile2:.

TPG

They call me the spelling bee queen at work, I always laugh at the spelling errors especially on patient charts because it is medical words that are just jacked up.

I understand typos happen and have had more than my share of typos, but it's the repeat offenders that bug me. Yes I'm a nazi about using there/they're/their...it's not that hard to know the difference! Also, the people that just leave out entire words from sentences to the point that you have no freaking clue what they're taking about. And the people who don't just misspell a word, but completely butcher it to the point that it's not recognizable. Dictionary.com should be your best friend.

I am a teacher and some of my pet peeves are:

loosing (instead of losing), or loose (instead of lose)

your (instead of you're)

then (instead of than)... I would rather have ice-cream then cake...

Almost anything else...I can tolerate.

Some of you people are just too damned perfect. What the hell are you doing on LBT with us common folk?

I am a teacher and some of my pet peeves are:

loosing (instead of losing), or loose (instead of lose)

your (instead of you're)

then (instead of than)... I would rather have ice-cream then cake...

Almost anything else...I can tolerate.

Some of THE worst spelling I've seen comes from teachers. *sigh*

When my daughter (who is now 22) hit 6th grade, the pinheads in her junior high decided that they were done with spelling tests.

So she would come home each week with these papers that I found out were copied -- COPIED -- from the overhead projector as busy work. I don't even remember what they were for.

Anyway, I kept noticing tons of spelling errors on them, but each paper had a check mark on them as if they were acceptable, and not any marks whatsoever delineating the misspellings.

I sent a few of them back to the teacher with the misspellings circled in red and asked her in a note why these mistakes weren't at least being brought to my daughter's attention so that she could fix them or work on them (I had begun making my own spelling lists/tests out of words that were consistently misspelled). I said if SHE didn't correct this stuff as her English teacher, who would?

She wrote me a short note explaining that the papers were simply busy work and they got credit for having done it with no consideration for HOW it was done. Her short note had about 4-5 misspellings in it.

I circled each one in red, and sent back another note saying, "I now see what the problem is. Never mind."

Okay, I admit I'm a spelling Nazi... I don't usually say things on message boards about people's spelling unless I can use it against some pinhead idiot who's acting all superior.

Anyway, with that said, some years back I was taking court reporting. When you use a steno machine, it is all done phonetically with some letters represented by a series of letters combined (for instance, a simple J is four letters long). There is a K on there, so a word like "cat" is spelled on the machine as "kat."

Then when transcribing from the paper notes, that is what you see. I can't tell you how many times some of us got caught with spelling errors where "cat" was spelled "kat." It'll mess with your head, I'm tellin' ya! :thumbup:

I would have gone one step further and showed her boss, the principle? or principal? the notes and express your concern.:thumbup:

You're assuming principals care anymore. They don't. All they care about are making sure kids are warming seats because they get money for every day those kids are there.

I'm not assuming anything. Just think you had a duty to inform.:biggrin:

I would have gone one step further and showed her boss, the principle? or principal? the notes and express your concern.:biggrin:

It is principal. You know how I remember that? Because when I was in 6th grade our principal came to class and explained that your principal is your PAL.

He also said that desert and dessert are different, Desserts have more sugar so it has more s's. ;o)

I guess his teaching method worked, I still remember it like it was yesterday. HA!

In Houston, where I was at, they were almost literally just grabbing warm bodies off the street to fill teaching positions. The jobs were not that great there, and they didn't pay that well, so good teachers were going elsewhere. My SIL works in the system and saw it firsthand. They probably figure if the person "teaching" is a live body and isn't hacking the kids to death with an axe, all is good.

They were more concerned with filling seats and keeping the gang activity to a low rumble than whether a teacher could spell -- even an English teacher.

It is principal. You know how I remember that? Because when I was in 6th grade our principal came to class and explained that your principal is your PAL.

He also said that desert and dessert are different, Desserts have more sugar so it has more s's. ;o)

I guess his teaching method worked, I still remember it like it was yesterday. HA!

I learned the principal thing in first grade, the same way. Never heard the dessert one. That's a good way to teach the difference!

Now if only they could teach the their/they're/there debacle, I could quit screaming at my computer screen. :biggrin: