Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of you already banded what do you think your bio will be like a year from now?

Congrats to all those who have been banded and good luck to us that have not been yet.

Bashful,

For me, my bio in a year will sound like a lot of other people's current bios. I have about 200 pounds to lose, so in a year, I'll be where a lot of others are starting. That's sort of hard to wrap my head around. That I have such a long journey ahead of me. But I'm glad I finally started.

And I bet in a year I'll at least be able to say that I'm exercising regularly WITHOUT the pain I have now. :tongue_smilie:

Bashful,

And I bet in a year I'll at least be able to say that I'm exercising regularly WITHOUT the pain I have now. :biggrin:

That's the most important thing! I'm proud of you for making this decision, I'm sure like me it's been one that you have thought about for a while. Congrats and we can do this!!!!

Lets see, my bio.

I'm Sheena, I'm 25 and from the Arkansas delta (thats the DEEP south fyi) and have been overweight since well, ever. I graduated high school 8 years ago (OMG) and graduated in 03 with an Assoc of Arts and graduate in Dec with my B.S. in Interior Design. Thats another reason I wanted to do this, it seems people have a preconception of what a designer looks like and I am NOT it. Boo you crappy people. Anyway...

I always knew I was big but like I told my mom, "When your eyes face forwards, and you avoid mirrors from the neck down you have a denial thing going.." So when at my appointment in early June I stepped on the scale and it said 392.8 I nealy DIED. I am tall (5'10) but still, holy hell. I must have had a crazy look on my face because the nutritionist Erin hugged me and told me "It only gets better from here!"

Had my consultation, then went to New Orleans with a group of 8 other women from another board I'm on from the 25-28th of June. My last hurrah foodwise was Beignets at Cafe du Monde. Oh, and italian from Carinos the day before I started my diet. :confused: Met with Erin on the 30th and started the diet the 1st! It's going good so far and I really thought I was going to miss my diet coke. Nope. I do still drink lots of iced tea so I get my caffiene!

Surgery is scheduled for July 20th! I'm SO excited! Driving over the night before (it's clear across the state 3 hours away) with my mom and aunt since mom doesn't drive on the interstate. They said I'll be able to come home that day but have to stop at least once an hour to get out and walk.

Ok.. now that I've bored you.. I look forward to getting to know everyone! Good luck to us all! :ohmy:

Hey, Sheena! Welcome!

Not boring at all... thanks so much for sharing your bio with us. :confused:

Good luck on your surgery, and come back often. We've got a great group here, and very supportive.

Hey Juniper, You have posted some wise words and encouragement on these boards, here's a little for you. You've taken the first few steps and if your goal is over whelming, make a much smaller goal. You'll see I have a mini-goal in my signature because that will be a milestone for me. I'm looking towards that one because I know I can reach that and it's within my scope of vision. The ultimate goal will remain, but for now, I'm just looking at 22 pounds. It doesn't depress me or make me worry if I'll actually make my goal next year because I have to get to my first one.

Sheena, welcome! Right before I started this process, we went to New Orleans too! I had beignets at Cafe du Monde every day and we ate at Corino's too. I don't know about the beignets in my future, but I will be eating Italian....just not the "whole thing". Good luck!!

My hope for a year from now is that I have reached my goal or very close to it and I'm traveling to Mexico for a lower body lift. I've always had that "apron" of fat on my lower stomach and I would love to have it removed. I've never tucked in a shirt or wore short shirt because I have to hide my fat. It would be nice to have that flexibility.

Take care everyone.

Edited by ocotillo

WARNING: I tend to ramble! :confused:

My name is Amy, am 40 years old, married with two furry feline babies. My husband and I own a tanning salon in Little Rock, Arkansas.

My struggles with weight started about 3rd grade, I remember having to shop at Sears in the "chubby sized section" (yes, it did say that on the signs) I remember watching my mom and grandmother constantly fight with their weight. When mom was on a diet, so was I - which I needed, but as soon as I was out of her sight, straight for the donut shop!

In high school, I pretty much starved myself down to 125 lbs and can distinctly remember passing out in the shower several times because my blood sugar was so low. After one year in college, the weight came back in spades!!

I have been over 200 lbs since 1989, which led to poor self image and self esteem, which led to bad relationships, which led to more weight gain.

I'm happier in my life than I've ever been and it's time for me to get out of this fat body suit I've been wearing for 25 years. It took me until I reached 40 years old and having a wonderful husband to realize that I am worth it, dammit!

I'm excited, nervous, scared, motivated, committed, fearful of failure all rolled into one. Anyone else with me? :ohmy:

Hi everyone! My name is Angela and Im 28. I live in Jacksonville FL and have a 7 yr old. Im a single mom and work at a large bank.

I have been overweight since 5th grade going forward. I never got to experience that "skinny" phase. LOL. I got approved through Aetna and my surgery is on 7/23. I am super excited to see what is in my future after lap band and losing weight!

Hello All

My name is Joe, I am 28. I work in IT at a school district in Michigan as tech support for a few buildings that are assigned to me.

Always been a "big guy" and I knew I was overweight and tried various diets and stuff. However a year and a half ago my doctor said I was killing myself by being so heavy (was 325 at the time) She put me on a diet, which ended with me gaining 15 lbs and having ZERO energy at being really grumpy all the time. She wanted to try another diet I tol dher no and pursued surgical options.

I jumped through the hoops set out by Aetna BcBs, and am now approved witha surgery date of July 14th. Which i am not going to start calling my second birthday I think. :frown:

Loving the boards so far, and hope to be able to get to know you all as we share our journeys.

Hi, I'm Jen, fair, fat and 52 & live in Australia. :blink: It's been great reading all your stories and the support provided to everyone is wonderful.

I was a skinny kid. My Mother had me on Iron tonic LOL. I was always careful with watching my weight from my late teens tho I was never overweight.:)

I jinxed myself when I was in my 30's when I went to see a cardiologist with my Mum. He wouldn't operate on her as she was female, too old & obese. He commented I was nice & slim. I replied I had no intention of getting like my Mother. Ha! Famous last words!

Since my late 30's I've being on every diet going. Finally decided I'd be fat forever & gave up for some years. Deluded myself I wasn't really that bad. My DD told me gently that she was a little embarrassed when we went out. So I managed to loose 50lbs and was feeling pretty good with another 35 to go. Never happened. LOL It all went back on.:huh2:

I wanted to see my girls get married & have children so here I am.:(

Good luck to everyone and keep up the inspiring stories.:sad:

Hey Juniper, You have posted some wise words and encouragement on these boards, here's a little for you. You've taken the first few steps and if your goal is over whelming, make a much smaller goal. You'll see I have a mini-goal in my signature because that will be a milestone for me. I'm looking towards that one because I know I can reach that and it's within my scope of vision. The ultimate goal will remain, but for now, I'm just looking at 22 pounds. It doesn't depress me or make me worry if I'll actually make my goal next year because I have to get to my first one.

My hope for a year from now is that I have reached my goal or very close to it and I'm traveling to Mexico for a lower body lift. I've always had that "apron" of fat on my lower stomach and I would love to have it removed. I've never tucked in a shirt or wore short shirt because I have to hide my fat. It would be nice to have that flexibility.

Take care everyone.

ocotillo, thanks for your words of encouragement. :biggrin:

you know, i have lots of little goals in my mind, non-scale goals mostly, but i usually just keep those locked up in my head. heh

when it comes to the numbers, though, i'm a long-term planner type person, so my scope of vision is all the way to the finish line! i know that may seem weird, but it's just how my brain is wired. :thumbdown:

i've been thinking a lot lately about having to have plastic surgery to remove the "apron", too. but here's a weird question for those who might know... do they have to reposition your belly button if they have to remove a LOT of skin?? i'm a little concerned about that, cuz my belly button is amazingly low on my abdomen to begin with, and i really can't see how they could cut away much of my skin without making it drop even lower! maybe i just don't understand this plastic surgery stuff very well. hehe

Welcome to all the newbies since I did my bio. I'm so excited to have so many people to share this journey with.

I also started a blog about my band so people can follow along there if they want too. The link is in my sig.

Have a great day bandsters!

Hi Im Mel from Texas. my story is about the same as everyone elses. Chunky in high school and got worse from there. Took weight loss drugs to get married skinny. Put the weight back on. Dieted many times and the weight came back . I am really looking for this to be a permanant solution. Like someone else said I feel like I'm wearing a fat suit because I dont feel that fat until I look at pictures. I also want to be more active but the big belly gets in the way. Surgery is 7/16 so i guess my journey will start then. Good luck to all the july basndsters . oh yea hit the big 40 this year 2 kids 2 step kids and a wonderful husband . :)

Hello! I'm Jules, I'm 30 years old, happily married to my best friend and have two boys ages 6 and 9. We live in a very small town in Kentucky and have 3 min. Schnauzers.

I started gaining weight at puberty and was diagnosed with PCOS around age 19. My weight continued to climb over the years and in April I was diagnosed with degenerative arthritis of my spine. My doctor suggested Lap Band and my journey began! I've been very lucky with how fast my process has been and I'm so looking forward to getting banded on the 27th in Lexington, Ky. I love the support on this site and hope to make some great band buddies!

Guest freedom2009

Hi everyone, my name is Diana. Ever since I made the decision to be banded, it's hard to explain. I've had this peace come over me that I have never had. Like so many, I have been a yo-yo dieter all my life, overweight as a child. I've never given up but in the last few years since i retired, I have found it so difficult to stay with a diet. I have gained so much, and this is indeed the heaviest I have ever been. I'm at the point of almost being traumatized at anyone (family) finding out my weight. I'm amazed I was even able to make a ticker. It's not that I've been in denial about my weight, but the horror of hearing that number outloud or seeing it. I guess that's another issue for the psyc.

The good part is that I've made this decision, and to explain the feelings I have which I stated earlier, I finally have a tool, something that is bigger than me, that is going to be able to help me go all the way, to stop this madness of overeating, the portion controls that I need. I'm on the 2 week lowfat diet and feel wonderful. I've lost 11 pounds less than 2 weeks. July 21st is my new birthday. I have a wonderful, supportive husband (39 years). Two grown sons, one daughter-in-law, and a beautiful 7 1/2 yr old grandaughter. God has blessed me in so many ways, and the journey continues. Thanks for listening. I've enjoyed reading about all of you . PS I'm slow about manuerving this site, I finally was able to make my ticker, but as you can see I screwed up the July 09 Freedom Fighters. I'll get it eventually!

Hi, all I am a 30 yr old, mom of one precious 2 1/2 yr. old boy. I was banded on July 2nd, in alabama. My highest weight was a few days before surgery, at 239.7. I am 5'1", and as of today weigh 216.4, in two weeks!! I have lost 23 pounds, I still cant eat more than a teaspoon twice a day. My band was severely ressticted after surgery, and i have been on steroids, so I could hold down fluids. Overall, it has been great though. I am a part time RN, and full time Mommy. Thanks for all the info, hope to talk to everyone else soon!