Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Scott Cunneen - Dr Cuneen is the greatest!

I love this Dr. I went on a few consultations and found him to be the most attentive caring Dr in the field.

Actually he and his nurses are extremely professional. I have referred others to him since having my surgery on Feb 2nd and they are also pleased.

He is located and associated with the weight loss center at Cedars Sinai. I was very pleased with my stay at Cedars after the operation

I would recommend this Dr to anyone

Johnp, I have a first appt on July 2 with Dr. Cuneen at Cedars-Sinai.Nice to see your post. Would love to know more about your experience with this dr. and Cedars. thanks, laurie

Ask away. I found them to be the best. The program they have is set up very nice. They give you all the requirements up front and explain all in a fashion that is not rushed. I have been to others and no one was as detailed and helpful as them. Be prepared to get a binder filled with information and instructions.

Dr Cunneen will spend as much time with you as you need to understand the best surgery for you. If you have any questions that you would rather pm to me go ahead

I am not a patient of Dr Cunneen’s, so I cannot speak to any experience with him specifically, though I have met him, and he was present in the operating Room when I had my Lap band installed.

However, having said that, I WILL tell you that my experience with that Medical Group, and Cedars-Sinai in general was absolutely horrific. The “surgeon” who installed my Lap Band was Theodore Khalili, who is now the Chief of the Cedars Bariatric group. Just THAT fact alone is enough to make me advise people to STAY AWAY from Cedars, and particularly Khalili. He did an AWFUL job on me, and when the problems surfaced, he ran like jackrabbit. No support whatsoever until I threatened a lawsuit, and then he acted like a three-year old whose toys had been taken away.

In addition, Dr Cunneen was present during the surgery to oversee Khalili’s work….and the surgeon who REMOVED my lap band stated that the band had been installed INCORRECTLY. So, I would have to question Cunneens skill if he oversaw a procedure that was performed incorrectly.

HH

Hi, I am supposed to see Dr. Cuneen on July 2. But Johnp you say he is great, and Headhunter had a bad experience with Cedars. Anyone else out there that went to Cedars? I want to know if Cedars or Dr. Cuneen has been good to anyone else?

Johnp did you have any complications? How long ago did you have your surgery? Is Dr. Cuneen cold? Someone wrote he is coldhearted. How's the wt loss going? How much did you loose in the first month? What was your diet before and the few weeks, month after surgery? What other programs did you look into and find this one to be better? I am nervous when I read bad posts! Can you help?

thanks, Laurie can post privately if you want, thanks

No complications whatsoever. I had my surgery on Feb 2, 09. Dr Cuneen is very warm and caring. I found him to be extremely caring and concerned about my care and questions.

As of this am I have lost 74lbs in under 4.5 months

No diet prior to surgery except the last day, then just a clear liquid diet

I met with Dr Paya who I found to be horrendous, even his colleagues and peers no longer refer patients to him

The first month I probably lost 25 or so lbs, I will have to check my journal.

Hi my name is Terry Cain, I live in Bakersfield,Ca.

I meet Dr. Cuneen in march of this year at my Dr. office here. He came to Bakersfield at the request of my heart/weight dr. My first visit with Dr. Cunneen was very plesent and lots of information. I got a tote bag with vidio cd, books that explain everything very well. He kept asking me if I had any question, worried about anything, and what i might know about the lapband my self. We discussed what i knew and than he gave me so much more information that i didn't know. I was very nervus at my first meeting with him not knowing what to expect or what to ask. So to put me at ease he ask what I knew about the lapband. He made me feel very confortable with in a few min. after talking with him.

My surgery date was July 8 2010, at Ceder and everything went great. the only problem i had was getting rid of the gas that was trap in my belly.Not everyone has this problem, i was one of the few that do. There were other patients there of his that were doing great, up and walking with no problems. i am alergic to latex and the surgery tape they use to put on the smaller cut. Dr. cuneen and his staff took great care to make sure there was no latex in the surgery room and special care about the surgacial tape. Before surgery Dr.cuneen came in preop and visited with me to make sure i was still wanting the surgery and feeling positive about it. He showed to be very caring.

I had my first band adjustment last week and he was just as carring and concern as when I first meet him and in surgery.

I gave my brother his card, he is going in to see dr. cuneen in oct.

I hope you do go see Dr.Cunneen, I think he has done a great job.

Edited by mrs.terry
add year of surgery

Dr. Cunneen just did some repair work on my lapband, which was put in by another surgeon who is no longer part of the Cedar's group. So far, great news- pain I was having has shrunk to nothing. I understand that the issue was so strange that no one had seen it before. But at the root of the problem was excess tubing that wasn't necessary. And I had my port moved (not so unusual- personal preference) and a smaller port put in (Cunneen's preference). I've had an overall good experience with my band, but gained weight because of the problem caused by the excess tubing. Now I just want to get back on track and get the rest of the weight off.

I like Dr. Cunneen very much so far. Seemed caring and patient with my many questions and the emotions that go along with repairs, etc. My husband also liked him very much. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery and to move forward.

I am very glad you had such a wonderful experience with him. Unfortunately I had the complete opposite back in 2004/5 and actively tell people not to see him.

His staff was completely unattentive, and actually dismissive to my post op calls regarding pain. And both myself and my mother had to have our bands removed, bands placed by him. Mine eroded 100% through my lining and my mother's slipped so far that removal was the only option. While these are warned side effects, the doctor's care, or lack there off, particularly after my removal when I had a terrible infection and he completely ignored my presence, leads me to believe he placed the band incorrectly in my stomach.I was later informed that the band was in fact POSTITIONED INCORRECTLY!

I had such an awful overall experience with Dr. Cuneen and his office. He caused me years of emotional strife (blaming me for my erosion, that I was not eating well, and told me that I almost died because of my fatty liver ) It took me 6 years to get up the courageto seek out a new doctor who told me that nothing I did was wrong and that I did not almost die..

After both my Mother and I had our bands removed, my father threatened to seek legal action and the office refused to return his calls. A few month later, my mother an father were at Cedars for a non-band related issue, and Dr. Scott Cuneen stepped into the same elevator as my parents. He kept his head down, eyes on the ground and acted as if he did not see my mother and father. He was a coward and obviously embarassed by how he had behaved and treated my family.

.I recently did get banded again and have learned that not all surgeons have the kind of non-existent bed side manner and "factoy-like"run office as Cuneen. Maybe he has learned and grownup since then, and again, I am glad that you had such a positive experience with him, but if it were me, I would say never see Dr. Scott Cunneen. Moreover, avoid Cedar Sinair Bariatric Group at all costs.