Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July Bandsters out there?

Ok, time to get down to business. What is the number 1 issue you are facing RIGHT NOW? It looks like we are all 2 weeks or so from the liquid diet. For me, the fact that I will be giving up sugar completely for about a year has been foremost in my mind. I thought I was ready for this, and I am totally ready for this change, but my mind has been playing games with me, so I find myself eating a lot of sugar these days. Anyone else? :cursing:

Im a little concerned about this pre-op diet talk! After all those nutrition classes and all the hoops you have to jump through, i thought it was all done!

My banding date is 7/7. I dont even go in to do any pre op stuff till 7/2. I figured "cool - i can have a 4th of july last blast before banding"..so should i figure that they're gonna tell me that i have to fast that weekend?????

I wonder if any people have gone thorugh banding without a pre-op fast..guess i go post that - since everyone her hasnt been banded yet lol.

Im nervous..happy excited - and i think the most i worry about is getting through those first 1-4 weeks...

There is a voting thread for July "names"...ive cast my vote there already---ya might want to check it out...then maybe all us July babies can all be on the same thread and really help each other through our new lives!!!

I can use all the friends/support and help through this as i can get!

Hey, Bobbie. From what I've read, the preop diet varies greatly from one surgeon to the next. If you don't even go in for pre-op stuff until 5 days before, you will have a short, if at alll, pre-op period. My surgeon recommends a 14 day (but requires 10 day) low card liquid diet. The purpose is to shrink the liver. The liver is, according to him, the first place one loses weight. Shrinking the liver reduces the risk for certain complications such as bleeding as a fatty liver is very fragile, and the surgeon must work around the liver to attach the band. If I were you, I would simply call my surgeon's office and inquire about his or her pre-op diet requirements. At least that way, you will know what to expect for the holiday!

Good luck!

~Amy~

Hmm...good idea. Actually, ive been eating the last year knowing this day was coming, lol...so i guess 4th of July, if it needs to be a fasting weekend, so be it! lol.

Mary...i'm eating alot of EVERYTHING lately..not just sugar....My main issue is actually worrying about getting enough Protein and such the 1-4 weeks after the surgery. You know how when you diet strongly you lose hair? ?? I'm worried about not having enough protein and losing mine..it's already begun thinning a little and i just want to make sure i'm gonna have enough of whatever Vitamin i need to keep my hair healthy!

Right now, my number one struggle is trying to get my head around the pre-op diet I will have to do. I did a one day trial run on Sunday, and let me tell you, it was horrible! My surgeon requires a low calorie, low carb liquid diet for 10-14 days. With no restriction, it was VERY difficult to eat nothing solid. While I really like sweets, I can basically do without them. My surgeon stresses the no snacking rule, and I think I can handle that. My main problem is that I am a meat and potatoes kind of gal, and I eat way too much! I am confident that once bandster hell is over and I actually have restriction, the band will really help me. However, this preop thing is going to be really tough!

July 15th here! Anxious, scared, excited and hopeful. It's our own version of Christmas in July! Good luck to everyone on the beiginning of this journey :cursing:

I am scheduled for Pre-Ops on July6 &7, banding scheduled for July 8. The number 8 represents "New Beginining" and that's what I am looking forward too. I'm excited, anxious and a little fearful as well. I have mixed emotions and according to the threads that I've read that's a common feeling. I have never had a surgery of any kind. I am 38 single and no children, I'm just a little concerned but EXCITED!!!!!!!!

Hello all

I had my seminar May 28

Met with doctor June 8

sleep study tonight!

Just need phyc and nutrition

Surgery July 21

Cant wait!

Let me just say this. I have been eating like I will never eat again, knowing that D-Day is coming in less than 2 weeks. The pre-op diet for me is not really a liquid diet. It is no carb, 2 shakes & 2 salads a day, low-fat and all that. I was so concerned after visiting the nutritionist the first time that I was not sure I would make it. By that, I mean that the same diet continues after surgery, with some changes, but basically very low carb, no sugar, etc. for at least a year. And there is no way I am going thru all this stuff, paying my $$, and not following the plan. But I was concerned, so I did a little experiment with myself. I gave up sugar for lent. It was horrible, mostly psychologically, but I did it. Then, last week, I gave up caffeine. I hate to be dependent on the stuff. That was worse than the sugar, and I am still sluggish and tired all the time. But the headaches are gone, and I am going to make it. All that to say: we can do this. Yes, it will be hard, and yes, it's a totally different way of life, but we need to know it can be done. So, even though I am eating way too much right now, I am totally prepared to go cold-turkey on June 23. You may not want to be around me the first few days, though! Remember, losing weight and keeping it off is mostly in the mind (especially once we get banded - keeps that pesky hunger away!). Have faith in your ability to withstand the storm. And pray, pray, pray!:cursing:

Have a great day!

I am all set for July 22nd. I am excited, nervous, & anxious all in one. It seems like its soooo far away. Good luck & much success to all of us on this new journey we have to chosen:)

My pre-op is June 23, the day I have to start my 2 week pre-op diet. They will weigh me that day and if I have gained since my last appt. they cancel surgery. That sent me over the edge psychologically. I had to lose a certain amount of weight to prove my dedication to the process and I did that, practcally starved myself for months. I was hoping I could get a lttle break before the surgery but no. So, I'm back to being hungry ALL the time and eating few calories. My pre-op diet consists of up to 3 Protein Shakes a day and either one Lean Cuisine (under 300 calories) or 1 meal with restrictions on amounts. No carbs aside from the lean cuisine, and we are allowed unlimited amounts of raw veggies to snack on. It's going to be hard but I can eat so little now or I gain weight I think I'll be used to eat somewhat.

Hi, I am also getting banded July 20, like many. Very excited, very nervous, learning new ways to love myself other than using food. Going to a second psych / nutrition appointment today. I have appointments of some kind, one a week until the beginning of July. I am going to be busy. Wishing everyone well on this life journey. imaluckydog that is for sure.....