Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about the Sleeve

I've been on this site for about 1.5 years. I've always noticed the complications but tried not to dwell on them- but, recently I have noticed that more and more people that are having difficulties around the 3 year mark, if not before. I'm starting to look into the Sleeve more now. If I was to get the Band or the Sleeve I would be financing it and I REALLY don't want to have to have something removed or be totally miserable before I even pay it off. The only thing I am concerned about is the lack of long term statistics I am finding. If there is anyone out there that can steer me in the right direction(s) to find any I would be greatly appreciative. Any personal insight would be great as well.

Thank you for your time.

WasAbubblebutt and MacMadame are the ones that have all the links to the stats. I am sure they will chime in. I understand why you would not want to self pay twice, like I did.

Read Elizabeth and Susan's threads on why they got a revision to a sleeve . My band problems started right at about 2 years.

Thanks OregonDaisy- I will look into those some more. You are one of the small group of people that I have been keeping tabs on about revision- including WasAbubblebutt, MacMadame, and some others. After seeing all of you having problems, all while playing the game right and ultimately going to the Sleeve has made me re-think my decision. I appreciate all of you being "vocal" about it thus, helping others like myself.

I grew up in Oregon by the way, Portland & Milwaukie and then lived in Salem in my teens. I miss it there. SO different then Texas!

I am one of those that is still paying for a band that I no longer have. I had a supposedly rare occurrence with my band that caused the removal but the end result is the same. I am getting a sleeve before I gain all of the weight back and totally waste the money I am still paying off. Even if the complication with my band was rare, none of us go into it thinking I will be the one that loses the band especially after only 6 months. It wasnt even a thought at that time I assure you or I may have thought twice....or again, maybe I wouldnt have. We wont ever know

ruthgrosvenorcox ~

I am so sorry about your problem(s). I guess I could look back at your previous postings but, what was it that's so rare? I don't want to end up paying twice- who does? No one. I do hope that the Sleeve will be everything and more that you hoped for from the Band.

Take care, thanks for sharing.

Do yall have any statistics for the sleeve: i didn't think their were any yet over 3 yrs but most people i know that got the sleeve are doing great and lost 2 times what they did with the band. i will be a self pay also comming up with the funds will be the challenge!

blondylocks

There are no stats in peer reviewed journals for over 3 years but there are stats. There are 5 year stats that are in the process of being published.

I have a bunch of links about the VSG here:

MacMadame's Profile

Oh and just to set the record straight... I'm not a revision. The sleeve is my first (and hopefully last) WLS.

I took a pill that caused my stomach to swell and the band area got so tight it cut off circulation to a portion of my stomach. That portion (the anterior fundus) became negrotic and had to be removed. I had taken the pill before but this time it really irritated the lining of my upper pouch and that is what caused the problem. That is what I was told by the surgeon but I am sure someone else would gather another opinion. End result is the same either way.

thanks Mac. I knew you would come through for us!

There are no stats in peer reviewed journals for over 3 years but there are stats. There are 5 year stats that are in the process of being published.

I have a bunch of links about the VSG here:

MacMadame's Profile

Oh and just to set the record straight... I'm not a revision. The sleeve is my first (and hopefully last) WLS.

I'm sorry, I guess I just assumed, see what happens when I do that?!?!

I took a pill that caused my stomach to swell and the band area got so tight it cut off circulation to a portion of my stomach. That portion (the anterior fundus) became negrotic and had to be removed. I had taken the pill before but this time it really irritated the lining of my upper pouch and that is what caused the problem. That is what I was told by the surgeon but I am sure someone else would gather another opinion. End result is the same either way.

Oh my, that is HORRIBLE! There was no way of your Dr. warning you not to take that pill? Geeez, I am sorry!