Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Available Lap Band Buddy / Mentor lets help each other

Hi there

I am a 53 year old female with two teenagers and a husband. I am a teacher and have been in the same school district for 24 years. I love my job and feel so fortunate to have a career that I actually enjoy every single day. I have had a wonderful life so far with the exception of my weight which of course leads to poor health, which then leads to negative thoughts and feelings.

My weight is my center. If I have control of what I eat for one whole day, my persona changes drastically.

On August 6, 2008, I had lap band surgery here in New Jersey. It wasn't easy for me as I have never had surgery before. I was most concerned that I would not "wake up". Well obviously, I did and here I am 9 months later with a weight loss of 84 pounds. It's quite an accomplishment. I love the number, but more important, I love the control.

Please feel free to contact me anytime; I would love to share thoughts and feelings about my new lap band life.

I look forward to hearing from you lauslin

hii (:

I'm 9 months into this and I haven't gotten my surgery date yet :( but I have been approved to get it done, my next appointment which is a weigh in and then to a class, last class I went to was mindful eating/nutrition and I had an appt schedualed for the 9th for the next class which I think is about exercising I think but I reschedualed it and now it's July 8th, do you think when I go they will give me a surgery date? It kind of makes me upset because I thought I'd have atleast a surgery date by now. Annd when you lay on your stomach can you feel the band? I'm also afraid that I won't wake up , did you get any lose skin,alot? I was told since I'm young I won't have much. Can you feel the band? Is it easier to exercise once you lost all your weight?(congrats by the way) :smile:

Thanks

hi there, great to hear from you. I am not familiar with all the "classes" that seem to be required of you. They sound rather tedious, however try to keep in mind that all these "steps" will help you climb to the top of the mountain (your surgery, which will eventually happen, if you continue along your journey). Try to be more assertive and always ask questions.

As for me, yes, I have some hanging skin, but that is not a major concern for me. Lets see what the summer brings. I haven't worn a bathing suit for years, and my body was never the type to wear one, but I did buy 2 new suits when I was visiting my mom in Florida. She is extreamly critical of me; since the weight loss, she's a lot more tolerant and encouraging.

As for the band, I can not feel the band, but I can feel the port that is located in the center, between my ribcage. I can lay in any position comfortably, including my stomach. I have had 6 fills since my surgery last August and am at my "sweet spot" meaning that I eat small portions and feel full. Keep in touch and let me know whats happening with your progress. Feel free to ask me anything!! Lauslin

hi there, great to hear from you. I am not familiar with all the "classes" that seem to be required of you. They sound rather tedious, however try to keep in mind that all these "steps" will help you climb to the top of the mountain (your surgery, which will eventually happen, if you continue along your journey). Try to be more assertive and always ask questions.

As for me, yes, I have some hanging skin, but that is not a major concern for me. Lets see what the summer brings. I haven't worn a bathing suit for years, and my body was never the type to wear one, but I did buy 2 new suits when I was visiting my mom in Florida. She is extreamly critical of me; since the weight loss, she's a lot more tolerant and encouraging.

As for the band, I can not feel the band, but I can feel the port that is located in the center, between my ribcage. I can lay in any position comfortably, including my stomach. I have had 6 fills since my surgery last August and am at my "sweet spot" meaning that I eat small portions and feel full. Keep in touch and let me know whats happening with your progress. Feel free to ask me anything!! Lauslin

The classes are to help understand everything but it's kind of ridiculous because I could have had a date and still go to them I think they're support groups I think for people who are at the same stage maybe :/ I love this website it has all of my questions answered :frown: but when I do have a question day of an appointment I always forget what it was maybe I should write them down huh? Nice, I can't wait to get one myself, hopefully I could wear a bikini and be a more confinedent person! That's great (: So do notice the port like as if you're standing up and walking, do you feel like a normal person like if you didn't have the band? What are the fills like? I know they use the needles, do they numb it? How quick did you start exercising? What kind of exercises did you do? Anywho I lost 15 pounds and I was required to lose 11 so that's good ah I can't think of anything else but I will keep you updated :welldone2:

Edited by Erin18

Hi there

I am a 53 year old female with two teenagers and a husband. I am a teacher and have been in the same school district for 24 years. I love my job and feel so fortunate to have a career that I actually enjoy every single day. I have had a wonderful life so far with the exception of my weight which of course leads to poor health, which then leads to negative thoughts and feelings.

My weight is my center. If I have control of what I eat for one whole day, my persona changes drastically.

On August 6, 2008, I had lap band surgery here in New Jersey. It wasn't easy for me as I have never had surgery before. I was most concerned that I would not "wake up". Well obviously, I did and here I am 9 months later with a weight loss of 84 pounds. It's quite an accomplishment. I love the number, but more important, I love the control.

Please feel free to contact me anytime; I would love to share thoughts and feelings about my new lap band life.

I look forward to hearing from you lauslin

hi my name is Eileen and I live in N Ireland, I would really apprciate a mentor to help me on my journey. about me, I am 51 years old and I was married 30 years yesterday to my DH yea! a hard slog, but we made it!

we have 4 wonderful daughters aged 26,24,21 & 17 and our wee grandson Odhran (it;s an Irish name pronouced Oran ,h15e is 4 years old and the light of our eyes!

I had my band on August 25 09 and I am still at the mushies stage, I am due to have my first fill on Saturday, i'm both dreading it and looking forward to it.

I have so far lost 22lbs and I am delighted, I do have a long way to go, I would like to get dwn to 151

any help or support from you would really be appreciated