Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quick & easy recipes.........

Actually, I have made a cook book! I asked everyone in the family to send me their favorite recipes. I made it a couple of years ago for Christmas presents. That's where all these recipes came from. LOL! I am a cook book addict though. I look up new ideas on the net all the time. Thanks to everyone for their recipe contributions to this thread! They all sound wonderful! Keep em coming! We could end up with a LBT cook book here!

Stuffed Feta chicken Breasts

1 package of skinless boneless chicken breasts or tenders

1 (4 oz.) pkg. feta cheese

1/2 tsp. basil

1 tsp. pimentos or oil packed sundried tomatoes chopped

2 TBLS. Hellman's mayo or plain yogurt

1/4 tsp. cavenders seasoning

If using chicken breasts, using a knife, make a pocket cutting into the side of the breasts. Mix the feta, basil, pimentos or tomatoes, mayo or yogurt & cavenders. Spoon into pocket made in the chicken breasts. Place stuffed chicken breasts in greased casserole dish. If any filling is left over, spoon over top of chicken breasts. Season with more cavenders. Cover casserole with foil. Bake in preheated, 350 degree oven for 35 - 45 minutes, taking foil off in the last 10 minutes of baking.

If you use chicken tenders - Place chicken tenders in greased casserole & spoon feta mixture over top of tenders. Sprinkle with more Cavenders. Cover with foil & bake as directed above.

I didn't have sun dried tomatoes or plain yogurt so I improvised with pimento & Hellman's Mayo. It was wonderful! I think if you rolled the chicken in some shake-n-bake it would be even better. Enjoy!

I'll tell you one thing I have missed so much in the last 10 days. It's the food Network Channel! I love the shows, and have always been able to get some wonderful low fat recipes from the Food Channel (or convert some of the dishes to low fat versions), but until I get off the the liquid diet I decided it would be torture to watch. Only 12 more days :-(

Fresh Apple Upside-Down Cake

3/4 cup butter softened & divided

2 cups sugar divided

3 large granny smith apples, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch thick slices

1 cup toasted, chopped pecans, divided

2 large eggs

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 cup milk

Melt 1/4 cup butter in a 10 inch cast Iron skillet over medium heat; add 1 cup sugar & cook, stirring often, 2 minutes or until sugar is melted & begins to turn golden. Add apple slices, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until apples have softened slightly & juices are thick & syrupy. Remove skillet from heat & sprinkle apple mixture with 1/2 cup pecans. Set aside. Beat remaining 1/2 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, beating until light & fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating just until blended after every addition. Stir together flour, baking powder & cinnamon; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating at low speed just until blended, beginning & ending with flour mixture. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup pecans. Spoon batter evenly over apple mixture in skillet. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in skillet 5 minutes; invert onto serving plate.

There is no way that this is low fat! But it sounds soooo...... good!!

This recipe for spagetti sauce sounds like a lot of work, but once you get into it, it goes quickly and it taste awesome!!!

1/2 large onion

1 medium zucchini

1 box of baby belle mushrooms

1 box of sliced mushrooms

1 red bell pepper

1 Jars or Big Cans of Spagetti Sauce

1 pound of low fat ground turkey

1 pound of extremely low fat hamburger

2 tablespoon of italian seasoning

2 tablespoons of garlic

2 teaspoons of salt

1 teaspoon of pepper

1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes

Cut onion, zucchini and bell pepper in a small dice. I quarter the baby bells and cut the sliced mushrooms in to thirds. Set aside all veggis in one bowl. Brown the turkey and beef in a big deep pan and add 1 tablespoon of the garlic, 1 tablespoon of the italian seasoning and the teaspoon of red pepper flakes. After browning the meat, take the meat out of the left over juices and put the veggis in the left over liquid. Saute the veggis until almost soft and add the browned meat back in. Add the rest of the italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for a few seconds and then add both spagetti sauces to the pot and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes on low with lid on.

Serve over you favorite Pasta.

You can increase any of the spices to suit your taste. Enjoy!

Jessiebear or anyone else. I have been looking for a good homemade spaghetti sauce recipe for ages. I just want a plain All-American recipe. Not with heavy spices. Surely someone has a good recipe like their grandmother used to make. Jessiebear---I made your sour cream enchiladas and they were delicioius........thank you so much.

Here is a nice creamy Soup that is low fat and a good Protein boost.

1 can of Glory Seasoned Southern Style Blackeye Peas

1 can of low sodium chicken stock

1 can of Water from the bean can

1/4 teaspoon white or black pepper

Heat all ingredients to a gentle boil for a few minutes. Carefully pour into blender and blender until completely smooth. Be sure and vent your blender so the heat can escape. It comes out naturally creamy and taste awesome!

Serving Size 1 Cup, 140 Calories, Fat .5g, Sodium 420mg, Carb 25g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 2g, Protein 10, Calcium 8%, Iron 20%. These totals are close approximations.

Enjoy!

Carrie, I am not much of an italian cook, but I found this on the food network site & it sounds good & pretty easy.

Best Basic Red Sauce:

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions (1 medium yellow onion)

1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves garlic)

1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes

2 (15-ounce) cans Tomato sauce

3 tablespoons tomato paste

2 cups Water

1 teaspoon sugar

Heat the olive oil in a 5-quart pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, basil, oregano and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and squeeze to break into small pieces. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Water, and sugar to the pot with the onions, and stir well. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally with a long-handled wooden spoon. Remove from the heat, and use as needed. You can store this sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.

Cheddar chicken Chowder

2 bacon slices

Cooking spray

1 pound skinned, boned chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup diced red bell pepper

2 garlic cloves, minced

4 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth

1 3/4 cups diced peeled red potatoes

2 1/4 cups frozen whole-kernel corn

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

2 cups 2% low-fat milk

3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook bacon in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Crumble; set aside. Add chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic to bacon fat in pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth and potatoes; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add corn; stir well.

Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended; add to Soup. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Top with crumbled bacon.

Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

CALORIES 306(22% from fat); FAT 7.5g (sat 4g,mono 2.2g,poly 0.6g); Protein 25g; CHOLESTEROL 58mg; Calcium 193mg; SODIUM 376mg; Fiber 2.9g; Iron 1.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 33.7g

chicken and Wild Rice Soup

1 cup uncooked quick-cooking wild rice

Cooking spray

1 cup chopped onion

2 garlic cloves, minced

3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

1 1/2 cups cubed peeled baking potato

3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

10 ounce light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)

2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and potato; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until potato is tender. Combine milk and flour, stirring well with a whisk. Add the milk mixture to potato mixture; cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in rice, chicken, pepper, and salt. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)

CALORIES 280(23% from fat); FAT 7g (sat 4g,mono 1g,poly 0.5g); Protein 24.9g; CHOLESTEROL 52mg; Calcium 329mg; SODIUM 879mg; Fiber 1.6g; Iron 1.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28.7g

Corn Fritter Casserole

3 tablespoons butter, softened

3 large egg whites

1 (8-ounce) block fat-free cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper

1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole-kernel corn, drained

1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn

1 (8 1/2-ounce) package corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir in onion, bell pepper, whole-kernel corn, and cream-style corn; mix well. Add muffin mix and black pepper, stirring until well combined. Pour into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Yield: 9 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup)

CALORIES 247(31% from fat); FAT 8.4g (sat 3.7g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.7g); Protein 8.6g; CHOLESTEROL 31mg; Calcium 72mg; SODIUM 629mg; FIBER 1.9g; Iron 1.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 36.7g

Spiced Sweet Potato Casserole

3 pounds sweet potatoes

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 large eggs

1/4 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°.

Pierce potatoes with a fork; arrange in a circle on paper towels in microwave oven. Microwave at HIGH 16 minutes or until tender, rearranging potatoes after 8 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.

Cut each potato in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp into a large bowl. Discard skins. Add sugar and next 5 ingredients (sugar through nutmeg), and beat with a mixer at low speed until combined. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Spoon mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish; sprinkle with pecans. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

CALORIES 220(29% from fat); FAT 7g (sat 2.5g,mono 2.9g,poly 1.1g); Protein 3.8g; CHOLESTEROL 61mg; Calcium 53mg; SODIUM 206mg; FIBER 3.8g; Iron 1.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 36.8g