Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is June 17th. Here is the problem: My hubby and I are going out of town July 3&4th since he is in our friend's wedding. It will be a little over 2 weeks from my surgery so I should still be on full liquids. What do I do? (I can't NOT go). I'm afraid it will be obvious if I'm not eating anything. And since it is at a reception place, I can't pull out a magic bullet and ingredients from my purse to make something I CAN eat. I guess I"m just afraid of an akward situation and being hungry!!!! Has anybody had to go to an important function this soon post-op?? Any ideas would be so appreciated!

Can you possibly BEG your surgeon and move your surgery up a week or two? It is SO important that you follow the post op diet exactly as you're told (however that is) because how well you heal now etc will help control what kind of band experience you have a year or two or more down the road. While you certainly COULD go, you'll be more easily fatigued (drinking your meals does that) and it will be hard to hang in there...around that time is usually when "bandster hell" comes to call...you'll be hungry but still having to really watch it. I would think it will be very hard on you...but a week or two later and you'd be good. Ask your surgeon, if he can't move the surgery forward, what tips he has to help you.

Congratulations on making the decision to get the lapband. I was in your exact situation back in 2007 when I got my lapband. I was so nervous so what I did was corny but true. When I got to the event I told the person who was sitting at the table that I had a stomach virus and was afraid to eat for fear of not keeping food down. I took my fork and stirred in my food and actually put it to my tougue and just decided, no I couldn't do it. No one really said anything but the word did travel that I hadn't felt well that day and that I might have a stomach virus.

It probably wasn't the best way out but it's the one that worked for me.

I wish you much success during your journey. If you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care, relax and enjoy the wedding. Everything will work out for you.

I agree it would be great to move up your date, but we all know how hard that is. I would try to bring whatever you can eat at the time with you(pre-made shakes, instant oatmeal, etc). Try to eat what you can before the wedding and bring something with you can fit in your purse to the reception and drinking it at an appropriate time. Remember if it's anything like most weddings people will be talking and table hopping and a lot less attention will be paid to you than maybe you think. Ask your husband to help you out - take bites off your plate, etc. If possible order different Entrees so you can say oh try this...

A napkin over the plate to signify you're done and to hide foods will work wonders. Good Luck!!

I understand where you're coming from, 3 weeks after I had my surgery, my mom's and the orginazations she's involved in had a Mothers' Day dinner, I tried my best to talk my way out of it, but she wasn't having it, she knew I had, had the surgery but she wasn't giving in.. She through the you're not going to support me tactic in.. I was like OMG... Needless to say I end up going and I had a nice time watching everyone elese eat and enjoy there food. LOL...it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I thought, I would fall out when they took out that whole sheet Publix cake, which sweets are my weak spot, but a lot better since the bad.. I didn't fall out and no I didn't eat a piece. It's very important that you stay on the plan, especially the first month.. I brought my Protein with me in a zip lock bag, and I asked for a Water when it was time. I even brought my 100% Dole juice with me... I'm sorry you're faced with this but you can get through it.. yes use the excuse you don't feel good or you're coming down with the flu virus if you don't want everyone to know.. I'm glad everyone at my table knew I had it, so it wasn't so bad... I hope everything works out.

Why on earth cant you just say you've had a hernia surgery or gall bladder surgery or similar and that you are on a liquid diet?

Who is going to argue with that?

Personally, I told everyone I was having this surgery, and I would have had no problem going to a wedding and saying I couldnt eat becuase I'd just had it and was still on the liquid diet. What's to hide?

I asked a friend of mine who was banded a year ago how she handles weddings, holiday parties and just going out to dinner. She laughed and said she had the same fears before her surgery. She said she takes a small plate whenever possible, a spoon full of only the items on a buffet table that interest her instead of a helping of everything, and eats a little bit of the small postion she took. If it is a plated dinner she takes only a bite or two of anything that she knows doesn't bother her. Most people don't even notice what's on her plate.

Sometimes she said if it is an event she know will really tempt her..she has a shake before going or sometimes on the way in the car. I am hoping to try that same strategy

My son is getting married on June 20, 4 1/2 weeks after my surgery. Everyone has said to me, oh, how sad, you won't be able to eat or drink at the wedding. And I think, and I'm the one with the weight problem??? It's about the celebration of their marriage, not a reason to eat.

I am, however, concerned about being hungry, so I plan on packing my Protein Shakes, Jello, pudding and enjoying the day. Fortunatly, my entire family knows about the surgery so they will understand and hopefully, help me, not to eat the "wedding food".

If you haven't told people about your surgery, just tell them you had a hernia operation and have to watch what you eat. They'll understand, usually.....