Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Terry Simpson - Banded by Dr. Simpson

Hi Ladies!

I just read all of your posts since May 09...Congrats to you all with your weight loss & baby for one of you!

I'm in the very beginning stages of researching the Lap Band procedure & costs. My insurance does not cover anything weight realted, so it's CASH baby for me.

Dr. Simpson's office has quoted me $17,444 for the WHOLE thing, including 18 months of fills & insurance for complications.

This sounds like a good deal...what do you think?

I'm in Litchfield Park, so not too far from where he would perform the surgery, and according to his office, it is about 2 weeks from the initial consultation to the actual surgery. If I had my way...I would go to the consult TODAY!

In the "real world" though, I have to get funding first!

I really appreciate all of the feedback/suggestions/experience you all have posted thus far...and can't wait to be a part of this group...the BANDERS!!

Melanie

I would definitely go to Dr. Simpson. I like him and his office staff. He responds to your calls or messages and it is not hard to get in for fills.

He does charge a little more than some of the other doctors; but, I feel he is worth it.

I know people said he is a band factory. My feeling on this is I know I wanted to get the band (no other WL surgery) so why not go some place where they specialize in it.

If you didn't know what you wanted then maybe go other places to hear about different WLS; but if you know you want the band, you picked the right doctor.

Also I think the insurance is a good idea. I did not self pay so it wasn't an option for me.

Good luck!!!

Ok...so I did it.

I have my consult with Dr. Simpson on March 4th at 8:30 am.

I'm so nervous!!

Do you guys have any questions that you think I should ask that you wish you had?

Any advice will be much appreciated!!

Melanie

I sent you a private message with some info. I don't have any questions off hand, but if I think of any I'll let you know.

I'm self pay also, so I understand. Well, my husband and I were thinking of buying a new car at the time. However, after 5 years or so, a car is devalued, and that's it! This is my LIFE-- so we made the decision to keep the vehicles we have, drive them a little longer, and finance my surgery instead.

I will forever appreciate my husband for that! I am so glad I made the choice to have a band. Also, I talked to a few docs, but I decided I felt best with Dr. Simpson.

He TEACHES other doctors how to perform lapband surg. He's also banded a couple fellow Docs!

When you have surgery, he gives you his private e-mail, which goes to his blackberry, and he'll answer you even if it's middle of the night and you have a medical concern!

Or, if it's just a general question, his office also responds pretty quickly.

If you have other questions, I'm here for ya. I'm open to sharing my experience. I've lost nearly 80 lbs, and I'm determined to keep it going. I'm not even a year out yet! I'm so happy with my results already!

Lisa

Oh!!! One more thing- I have not done my taxes yet, but I'm definately going to claim my surgery.

I've been told that I'll probably get a good lump sum back, which I will likely turn around and pay towards my loan- but It's like a bonus :cursing:

Lisa

Dr Simpson and the staff are great! some of the staff have also been banded, so they know what we are going through.

I finally got a fill after having the baby in January and boy oh boy - my boy moved my port during the healing process.

I got a second fill yesterday and decided that the port needed to be repositioned, so I go in on the 16th to have it fixed.

My endocronologist has added metformin back so that I can slowly come off my insulin pump - this is really exciting!

Exciting times!

Charms,

Is it a really quick, easy fix to reposition the port? Just wondering?

Did they say that happens often with pregnancy? I wonder, because I may wish to have another baby in the future. I'm also self-pay, so surgery again would be difficult for me.

Lisa

Lisa,

From what I understand it is a quick fix and they promised me that they would not keep me over night like they did after my band surgery.

I think that this occured because as the band and port were in the healing process the uterus was expanding and pushing my organs and stomach around to make room for the baby.

My first fill during the second trimester was not painful and he was able to go right through the port it was a little pushing, but straight through.

These last two fills were pushing around and pulling the needle here and there and having the table moved so my feet were elevated....so I would prefer it get fixed and I am not in pain everytime I get a fill.

On another note - my endocronologist has added metformin back in a hopes to decrease my insulin and when I am able to decrease my need for insulin to less than 20 units a day, I can get rid of the insulin pump!

How are you doing with the band?

Thanks for the info. So, maybe now that my port has healed for quite a while, it might not move if I get pregnant. . .

I'm doing very well with the band. I've lost nearly 80 lbs, and I'm continuing to work on my weight loss. It is getting a bit harder to lose, but I think that's to be expected. I'm still hanging in there!

The difference of losing 80 lbs is pretty huge! I notice so many things are easier without the weight. Life is easier, more comfortable, and enjoyable in general!

Lisa

Lisa ~ Thanks so much for the info! It was very useful!

I have butterflies in my tummy for the consult on Thursday. I have so many questions, but can't focus enough to write them down to ask him!

I am in a particularly good mood because I have my finances in order and am ready to pay for the surgery! I am so overwhelmed that this is actually going to HAPPEN to ME!

I know that this is not an instant weight loss fix, but a tool to change your life forever. Still, I can't help having that looming feeling of "it's not going to work for me", since so many things I've tried in the past either haven't worked or lasted. Did anyone else have that feeling?

I am HELLBENT to make sure that I follow EVERY BIT of instruction from Dr. S, who I can't wait to meet, but I am sooo scared that I still won't lose weight!

Grrrr.....It's such an odd feeling I have right now...so excited, yet scared & doubtful that THIS will work for ME!

Melanie

Melanie,

I had lots of questions too, but when I got there, I sort of "froze" and only asked a fraction of them. Luckily, you can find so many answers on this website-- so don't worry!

I think self-pay has a great advantage as far as timing, scheduling surgery goes. I had surg fairly quickly.

I was super nervous pre-band. I was mostly worried about spending a LOT of money, and possibly only losing a few lbs! I've been accustomed to losing about 30, then plateauing, then having my weight bounce up and down.

Some people are not as successful with the band as they would like, but often it seems that they are not taking advantage of it, and letting it work for them! (some people don't exercise, they eat slider foods, then they expect a miracle, etc!)

I still have to be conscious of WHAT I eat, but for me, the band has taken a big "edge" off my hunger. That leaves me feeling satisfied most of the time, and therefore less willing to eat junk, or overeat. (As a bonus: the smaller I get, the easier it is to MOVE- so I'm now exercising a lot more. . . )

I do, however, measure my foods. I purchased some 1 and 2 cup containers, which I eat most meals from. It helps me to gauge the amounts I'm eating. When I go out to eat, I usually only eat half the food, and automatically ask for the 2nd half to go, that way I don't overeat. Dr. S recommends this at his support groups.

Anyway, I'm kind of getting off track as to what I meant to say. . .

I think it's normal to have jitters. I'd tried so many things to lose weight, and was never successful for any length of time.

Only YOU know how badly you want to lose. If you are willing to spend the $, I'll bet you want it pretty bad, and you even mentioned that you intend to follow the rules exactly.

Given that, I feel confident you'll be successful!

I won't allow myself to get off track, especially after paying for surg myself. The band has been exactly what I needed to help get me down to a "normal" weight. I'd been overweight for 10+ years.

You can do this! By this time next year, you'll be a whole new, healthy, happy person!!! In even 6 months time you'll feel brand-new!

Good luck, let me know how it goes! I'm so excited for ya :w00t:

Also, the band is adjustable, that's the beauty of it!

Lisa

Lisa,

I DO!! I want to lose this weight SOO badly! I would estimate I have between 80-85 pounds to lose, and I can't get going fast enough to make it happen.

I am very active...working mom of 3 kids under 10...they're all in sports and I do boot camp 3 nights a week for 90 mins and (used to) walk all other nights ~ 3 miles. I've kind of pushed that to the side as the kids have been more busy, but it's something that I need to pick back up, especially as the surgery nears to get in the habit of moving and not getting clots!

I wanted to ask you...did Dr. S do the single incision on you or multiple? I ask because he advertises on his site that he does the single incision, and that would be awesome!!

I want to thank you for your support. It really means a lot. I've only told my dad, sister, husband and one close friend that I'm doing this, so it's really comforting to be able to talk to someone who not only has gone through the surgery but also deals with weight issues...as none of them are.

Congratulations on your amazing weight loss to date. I can only imagine how great it must feel! I too manage to lose ~ 30 pounds, and then get all happy it's gone, lose track of my goal, and then gain it back. It's just such a terrible cycle. In the past 5 years, I've probably lost 100 + pounds, but gained it all back and then some! Terrible....

Anyway, I'm so excited for Thursday! I have the money in hand to schedule the surgery...and hope to have it the last week of March/first week of April.

Horray!!

Melanie

You'll do fabulously! I just know it:)

Dr S really knows his stuff. He's done so many bands, and he has a great reputation. He is a bit conservative, like he won't allow you to get constant fills if he thinks you're losing at a good pace, but I respect that. He wants to make sure you get the most out of your band.

I'm so happy with my results. Sometimes I just think "wow, if I hadn't done this, I'd still be the same weight as before" because I just could not make this happen without my band.

It's pricey, and of course I wish insurance would have paid, but in the long run, it's so worth it, and it also makes me appreciate it A LOT, and I am not willing to waste my investment! I'm careful to follow bandster rules.

Lisa

Lisa,

How are things going?

I got my port repositioned yesterday. The surgery went well once I got back there.

I was scheduled for 9:30 but didn't get into the OR until just after noon. But after that it was all very quick, I was waking up 10 after 1 and on my way home by 1:45.

No pain meds prescribed either :scared2:

I am a bit sore, but nothing I can't handle. Though picking up my 18 month old is a little rough. The 10 weeker is easier, he weigh just over 10 pounds.

Now, I have to get things on the ball here and let this weight drop off! I'd really like to see 10 pounds by the end of the month.

On a good note I did loose 4.5 pounds in the last 2 1/2 weeks. So at least it is in the right direction.

Now if I can get rid of this insulin I am sure I would have better results!