Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need a Boost-Me-Up- Please Help

Well, my parents found out my plans to get the Sleeve in Mexico with Dr. Aceves. Wow did I get a full attack.

I feel so bad right now. They got on me about going to Mexico, that I am crazy. I tried to explain that I've researched and have been talking to all of you and I am confident in the doctor and hospital. Still they came back saying the internet is all lies. They argued that anyone on these chats and forums could be by people who are paid to promote it. I offered all my research and for them to view Dr. A's website, but it was no use.

They went on and on about how I may have complications in the future and why am I going to risk my life for this.

Can you believe they even attacked my husband. He is the greatest man ever and he supports me 100%. They feel he doesn't realy love me if he's going to let me do this; he must only care about looks. That is NOT true. My husband loves me no matter what size I am. I am doing this for me; for my happiness and health.

I know my parents are just being parents and they love me. And I know I am an adult and the most important opinions are from me and my husband. But I've always been a family girl, and the fact that they are fighting me and see this surgery as only resulting is a negative way really hurts me.

Now I am even doubting myself. Am I doing the right thing. Is Mexico and Dr. A right (I can't afford it here in the states). Will this decision make my life Hell later due to problems. My heart says GO for it, but now my head is swimming.

I really need a boost right now.

Rose

Well, my parents found out my plans to get the Sleeve in Mexico with Dr. Aceves. Wow did I get a full attack.

I feel so bad right now. They got on me about going to Mexico, that I am crazy. I tried to explain that I've researched and have been talking to all of you and I am confident in the doctor and hospital. Still they came back saying the internet is all lies. They argued that anyone on these chats and forums could be by people who are paid to promote it. I offered all my research and for them to view Dr. A's website, but it was no use.

They went on and on about how I may have complications in the future and why am I going to risk my life for this.

Can you believe they even attacked my husband. He is the greatest man ever and he supports me 100%. They feel he doesn't realy love me if he's going to let me do this; he must only care about looks. That is NOT true. My husband loves me no matter what size I am. I am doing this for me; for my happiness and health.

I know my parents are just being parents and they love me. And I know I am an adult and the most important opinions are from me and my husband. But I've always been a family girl, and the fact that they are fighting me and see this surgery as only resulting is a negative way really hurts me.

Now I am even doubting myself. Am I doing the right thing. Is Mexico and Dr. A right (I can't afford it here in the states). Will this decision make my life Hell later due to problems. My heart says GO for it, but now my head is swimming.

I really need a boost right now.

Rose

You know, Rose... a lot of people are very uneducated about Mexico or any other country. We aren't great in the US for teaching about anything other than the US in schools and our media survives on yellow journalism.

You are an adult, you have done your research, this is what you want. Seems to me it's time to tell your parents how it is. This is your body, your health, your decision.

They are clearly attempting to manipulate you with this horseshit about your husband not loving you. That's getting pretty down and dirty.

Just do what YOU want to do and don't worry about their attacks. Go with your gut and do what is right for you.

Just be careful If it was me I think I would wait a little bit to make sure the flu is under control. Please check that if something happens that your insurance will cover it. Good luck in whatever you chose.

Just be careful If it was me I think I would wait a little bit to make sure the flu is under control. Please check that if something happens that your insurance will cover it. Good luck in whatever you chose.

The flu isn't IN Mexicali. It's mostly in Mexico City.

Mexacali is less than a mile or so over the border from California. I can attest to the fact that Daisy, Susan, WASA, Mac, myself, and others do NOT work for Dr. Aceves. I don't even list his name in my signature.

The bottom line is, it's your body and your husband supports you. How did your parents find out? Listen to your gut.

It amazes me at how some people see Mexico as a third world country with no health system or even running Water. They went into attack mode because they are scared and uninformed. Don't let their ignorance keep you from being happy and healthy. There have even been weight loss surgeons from Mexico on The Doctors television show and on Dr. Phil.

While I also don't think you should believe everything you read - especially on the internet, I do think that the internet is a good research tool.

Bottom line - they're not paying for it and they can eat that roasted crow when you come back happy and healthy :thumbdown:

I feel your pain. I am waiting on my parents to find and I am sure I will get the exact same lecture. I was even leary about going to Mexico myself before I found this site (in fact I hadn't even considered it). I have done research on Mexicala and Dr Aceves outside of this site and feel totally comfortable with it now. Also, the surgeon in my area has only done 6 sleeves and he is charging $22,000! I would much rather Dr Aceves do my surgery considering he has done over 500 sleeves an over 450 bypass. I am ready to tell my parents that I refuse to discuss it with them until they research it themselves because I know I'll be wasting my breath telling them about all the research I have done. Maybe they will actually research it and it will put them at ease with my decision. That is my hope, because I am not changing my mind.

I will be getting the sleeve in approx 2 weeks. My doctor, Dr. Pleatman, here in Michigan, performs the surgery for $12,000, self pay. I am fortunate to have

insurance but the amount for self pay is reasonable. My daughter just had the surgery 2 weeks ago and my husband is scheduled this Tuesday. We all have/had LapBands and are getting the revision. All by Dr. Pleatman.

That is EXACTLY the reason I don't plan on telling anyone what I am doing and where I am having it done. People have preconceived ideas and no matter what you do or say you can't change their minds, especially people who are not of the computer generation so to speak. E.g. My dad is convinced since he has dish network and the shows are for HD that his OLD console TV is HD capable...no amount of talking will convince him otherwise. So my DBF and I have found it easier to just bite our tongue and swallow the blood than to try and convince him otherwise.

I'd print out what you have found on the internet, provide it to them, and then let them believe what they are going to believe ... and when the time comes, then you will prove them wrong as they watch the weight fall off.

Proof is the best revenge. They aren't going to stop loving you or disown you, they believe what they believe and you aren't going to convince them otherwise until they see with their own eyes that they were wrong. Of course, they'll probably never admit it--at least not to you.

Stay strong!!

WasA has very good information about Dr. Aceves' credentials. It's not easy to get those FACS letters after your name. He has those for a reason. Have WasA email you all the information.

I will be getting the sleeve in approx 2 weeks. My doctor, Dr. Pleatman, here in Michigan, performs the surgery for $12,000, self pay. I am fortunate to have

insurance but the amount for self pay is reasonable. My daughter just had the surgery 2 weeks ago and my husband is scheduled this Tuesday. We all have/had LapBands and are getting the revision. All by Dr. Pleatman.

It's important to research how many procedures the surgeon has done, the complication rate, and the checks for leakage done. Price alone should never be the deciding factor. Good luck to you all.

Pleatman is a nice enough guy but I wouldn't go to him. He hasn't done enough and I don't care for his leak stats or that he doesn't do any leak tests on the patient. Just not my pick.

Rose... sorry for this interruption in your thread. Are you feeling better now? Did sleeping on it last night help any? Seriously, lots of people are very uneducated about Mexico and the world outside of the US. Many have the attitude that if a doctor is in the US that makes him good and if he is in Mexico he's bad. That's just ignorant thinking. Ask ANY operating room nurse how many doctors they would let operate on them and they will be able to count them on one hand.

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

Rosey,

I can totally relate to your quandry. Just the mention of Mexico (I didnt tell them it was actually scheduled) got my family all sorts of upset. Wassa and Elizabeth and the others here are right. You have to make your own INFORMED decision and they are much much less informed than you or your husband. I know how difficult it is to go against family and yours like mine are very manipulating when it comes to talking against something. I would do what I wanted and not say anymore to them about it. What they dont know, wont hurt them. I am getting the surgery with Dr Aceves and I definitely do not work for him. I am a nurse however and an engineer and do alot of research on the web, pro and con. Go with your gut girl.

Ruthi

I am not sleeved yet so I can't talk about Mexico as I am having surgery in the U.S. but I know one thing: you are an adult and have the right to make your own healthcare decisions. Tell your family you love them and don't talk about it anymore. Lean on your wonderful husband for support. That is what a good marriage is all about!

Thank you to everyone for your words of encouragment. I know in my heart what I need to do and I am going to make the journey, with or without my parents. The most important thing to me is that my man is by my side no matter what; whether I'm fat, thin, or in between. That's love.

Honestly, I feel more bad for my hubby. When we sat down to talk about going to Mexico and the surgery in general, I told him to expect an attack towards him when my family finds out. Isn't is sad that I was right?

Anyhow, enough with that, I'm not going to let it stop me. Thank you for your wonderful support. God bless.

Rose