Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for anyone to share their bypass surgery and beyond experience?

Hello, I recently had my band removed due to complications and am planning on having gastric bypass in July. I like to know EVERYTHING about a procedure before I have it done! So I was wondering if anyone would share their surgery day experience, hospital experience, recovery experience and experience beyond with me? I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks to all

Amy :)

Have you considered the sleeve? By-pass is pretty serious stuff.

I know 3 people who've had it. One is my mom and she has had intestinal problems ever since. She goes in the hosptial at least twice a year with a kink in her intestines. She is skinny though and had her surgery in 1997. Another nearly died on the table and spent 9 days in ICU, got down to a size 6 and has gained back up to a size 16 so far. The third had no complications. She lost 100 pounds, she probably had close to 200 to lose, and now she's gained about 1/2 that back. I honestly can't tell she ever had the surgery.

That's all I know on the subject, but I wish you luck.

Holy Cow, I just noticed you only need to lose 26 more pounds?! You should seriously look into the sleeve.

Startingover,

I had my band removed last October and am planning on revising to RNY on 6/11/09. I'm using the same surgeon who did my band and the part of the same team that did my 20 year old daughter's RNY last May.

I think you need to get as much info as possible and will have a difficult finding all that on this site because it is designed for lap band patients but obesityhelp.com and thinnertimes.com are two that cover RNY. Also there are books out there and I have read Weightloss Surgery for Dummies and it was helpful for my daughter and myself.

I don't think you can judge a surgery by one person's opinion even if it's positive. I've been there with my daughter from day one and she did have issues in the beginning with a stricture where her new stoma actually closed and she couldn't get any food or Water in so they had to do an endoscopy with a balloon twice to stretch it open. That also involved an er visit and two day stay for IV fluids and to wait until the following Monday for someone who could do the endocopy to be there. I don't know the percentages as to how many people get them but I wouldn't be surprised if I were to have one also.

Also she has never had "dumping syndrome" and from what I read only 40% of people do but it doesn't also mean she never will some people won't have it until a year post-op.

She has lost well over 100 lbs and it was fairly quick due to her stricture but she has tapered off for now. It's been almost a year and I think that's normal. I think there is a honeymoon period where you lose easily and quickly and it can stall. Then it requires more work from the individual. I've also read a statistic that you lose 1/3 of your weight so my daughter has met that statistic. She is only required to take one supplement that I can purchase at her surgeon's office now which is nice. She's able to eat regularly now but she definitely has to chew her food very well! You also are not supposed to drink about a half hour before you eat and I've heard a half hour to an hour after you eat as you do not have a pyloric valve that would slowly empty food from your stomach so you basically are self flushing with liquid.

Anyway I hope I didn't mess any of the info up for you which is another reason why you can't depend on a few opinions to decide on a surgery, lol. But good luck and discuss this with a surgeon and ask as many questions even the ones you think maybe stupid with him/her! Take care Nancy.

Thanks for everyone's input. All info is very helpful. Suzanne, I know that insurance should not dictate what surgery one has...but in my case....my insurance will not cover the sleeve, which would be ideal for me. And self pay is not an option. Even though I am only 26lbs from goal (which is more like 36 since the band removal), I still need help to reach my goal and then help maintain for life. So that is why I will have the bypass.

Startingover,

I'm kind of surprised at your weight the surgeon would even do a gastric bypass. You have 26lbs to lose and I know that's frustrating but have you discussed options like Meridia with your doctor? I was able to lose 25 lbs on it before and to me it would be a more feasible option for you. I know 26 lbs can be "relative" but still I'd hate to see you go through something like that to lose 26 lbs. But I know you will do what you want to do but just speaking from a "mom's perspective. Good luck Nancy.

I still need help to reach my goal and then help maintain for life.

I always tell people that I didn't have WLS to lose weight. I had it to keep it off! If you have to have your band removed, of course you need something to replace it. Too bad your insurance won't cover a sleeve - I love mine!

I always tell people that I didn't have WLS to lose weight. I had it to keep it off! If you have to have your band removed, of course you need something to replace it. Too bad your insurance won't cover a sleeve - I love mine!

Thank you macMadame, I'm glad you understand the reason!!

ok, i'll share my 'experience'. banded (filled to 3.9 in 5cc band) in mx three years ago on my dime of course bc my ins refused to cover the band but would cover rny. having 100 lbs to lose and only down 20 with severe esophagitis, gastritis. my throat is always on fire, tho drinking maalox on ice daily. meeting w/a surgeon mon. to discuss removal. am willing to do rny at this point but maybe there's something better? some of you really like your sleeve. can anyone help me make a decision? thanks

My surgeon's sleeve patients lose as much weight as his bypass patients but with less complications. Plus the surgery cost less. So, as a self-pay, getting the sleeve was a no-brainer for me. :smile2:

If you want to know more about the sleeve, come by the VSG subforum and we'll talk your ear off. There are a ton of band-to-sleeve revisions there.

Startingover,

I would be amazed if ANY Doctor out there would do a Gastric Bypass on someone that is only 26 lbs. overweight!!!! There is certain criteria that you must meet in order to be a candidate for Gastric Bypass surgery. I may not be a doctor but I'm pretty sure that you DO NOT meet that criteria. It seems that you were doing just fine with the Lap Band, so why on God's green earth would you have it removed??? Maybe your plan is to go down to Mexico where they will do a Gastric Bypass on ANYONE for the right amount of money!!!!

I am appalled to hear that you are trying to get a quick fix for your weight loss instead of eating healthy and exercising. After all, that is how you lost your weight to begin with, correct???

I have a disease that has taken over my entire body since 2005. I was unable to exercise due to the enourmous amount of pain that I endure each and every day 24/7. After two years or so of sitting in a wheelchair I had gained a lot of weight. I discussed things with all of my doctors and I decided to have the Lap Band put on in Dec. 2007. After having fills put in monthly until there was no more room, I was only able to lose 12 pounds. Yes, I followed the program to a "T". I continued to get more and more depressed over my weight. I spoke to my surgeon along with all of my other doctors to see what they thought about me having the Lap Band removed and converting me over to a Gastric Bypass. They all agreed that it would probably be more benefisical not only to lose weight but to also help with my high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and depression.

I had my lap band removed and converted over to a GB on January 12 of this year. After almost 4 months now, I have lost 52 lbs. I still have another 68 lbs. or so to go. I had all of this done because I NEEDED to do so for the sake of my health. After all, that is the biggest reason why people have a Gastric Bypass to begin with. Can you honestly say the same thing about your situation???