Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgical tape over incissions...

how long after your surgery did your tape come off of your incissions? I am 12 days post op and my tape is still on and going strong.... i have been having some burning/pain sensations near my biggest incission and really feel it is being caused by the surgical tape. the surgeon said to leave them on until they fall off on their own. Only one has fallen off and it was the smallest incission up near my breast bone--most likely from being hit with my bra everytime I went to put it on.

They look awful! No matter how many alcohol swabs I use I cant get the sticky grey residue off my skin. They look dirty from my clothes rubbing up against them as well. I have my first post op appointment on Thursday so Im going to address it then, but what about the rest of you? How long did it take?

Hi, my doc tore all my tape off at my one week post surgerical visit. It kinda surprised me cause I remember reading to leave it on until they fell off, but he's the expert -- and he tore all the tape off. I think after 12 days it's safe to take it off. Linda

My surgeon took mine off at 6 days due to the rash that they were causing and extreme itching. Guess i don't do well with the tape stuff. He said that the incisions were all healed except one, so he left just a little bit of tape there. The incisions look great, but they are sore now because of clothing rubbing on them. I wish i could have left the tape on longer, but the itching was making me scratch too much in my sleep.....darn near scratched the skin off.

I had the same situation with my tape not coming off on it's own. I was told at my first post-op appointment that I had to take them off because if they hadn't started falling off by themselves then they probably wouldn't. (This was ten days post-op) What I recommend is taking them off while in the shower. Let Water run over them and it will soften them up and make it much easier to take off. Pull your skin slightly taught and then pull the strips off. You'll feel so much better with them off!

Try using baby oil and that will soften the glue allowing the tape to come off. This worked great for me but don't rush it. I took mine off at the two week point. I let it soak for 10-15 minutes and the glue turned very soft. Good Luck.

My incision tape did not come off for over 2 1/2 weeks. In fact, the incision that was the largest the tape did not come off for almost 4 weeks, the only reason it came off to was because my sweatshirt got caught on it. It's tempting to rip them off, I know, but be careful and check with your doctor first. Good luck.

My doctor toldme to remove my tape the next morning so I could clean around my incisions then I put some back on that day and the following day but after that I didn't.

My doctor took mine off 3 days after surgery because I was having an allergic reaction to either the tape or the glue. I broke out in a million little blisters..it itched...it leaked...it was nasty!

My doctor took mine off 3 days after surgery because I was having an allergic reaction to either the tape or the glue. I broke out in a million little blisters..it itched...it leaked...it was nasty!

I NEVER HAD ANY!!!!! I was superglued together and sent home...it looks great (8 days post-op) and I haven't had any problems with it. Good luck