Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went for the group consultation...

First, I could not believe how many people were there. Way more than I expected. The surgeon gave almost a full 2-hour presentation focusing mostly on gastric bypass and lap-band. It's so interesting how different everyone's surgeons are, based on the comments here on the forum. He doesn't do a specific pre-op diet but he would like everyone to lose at least 10 lbs before surgery (20 for people over 400 lbs). He said that insurance companies may have their own requirements but that is his criteria.

I know anything can happen with surgery but I did feel reassured that he knows what he's doing. He has performed over 1000 gastric bypass surgeries and almost as many lap-bands. He is on the state board for bariatric surgery and his program is a center of excellence. (Good!) He has had 2 leaks with his gastric bypass patients out of 1000 and 1 fatality. The fact that this information was readily shared and not something I had to dig around on the internet was appreciated.

His pre-op requirements are the group consultation, an individual consultation with him, a group consultation with the psychologist and nutritionist (they do a session once a month together), then individual consultations with each, and 3 pre-op group sessions. He said that, depending on insurance approval, it's about a 6-8 week process before surgery.

When I was driving to the meeting I kept saying to myself "I don't need to do this, I don't need to do this." But now that I've been there made this first step, I'm feeling more and more like this is for me. I'll call tomorrow to make my one-on-one and we'll take it from there.

Nervous. Excited. Hopeful. I know y'all can relate!

Hey beauty, I can totally relate to the mixed up emotions that you're going through right now. Here's hoping that your approval period goes really smoothly. Good luck!

Sounds like a well informed session. Just make sure you check YOUR insurance requirments since a lot of them require a 3-6 month program to lose weight and get some education on changing your lifestyle. Best of luck to you on your new journey.

Good luck to you! Sounds like a good start. I had to do a info meeting/orientation too and I couldn't believe how many people were there myself. I guess we really are not alone in this struggle.

I have been through the range of emotions. When I had my one on one consult with my surgeon (2 weeks ago), I got a little emotional when we were going through my history. He was so wonderful and totally understood. I was just ashamed really that I've gotten to this point that I even need something like this. I am focusing on the positive though, that while I've gotten to this point, I am being pro-active in getting it under control!!!

Best of luck to you! Hope to hear more of your journey.

JJ

So who is the doctor you have chosen? interesting to know the facts. I am going to my first seminar 4/29

Good luck

I am over in Marietta, and went to my seminar this week. I wonder how I can find out my insurance requirements. Hmmmm.

Hi Jenni,

I went to see Dr Jonathan Aranow. He's affiliated with Middlesex Hospital in Middletown, CT. I haven't read anything about him here but I found a lot of reviews on obesityhelp.com. Other than being a little arrogant (and most surgeons are, my husband just had heart surgery and you would have thought the surgeon was the second coming of Christ the way he carried on), people said he was excellent and at the top of his game. Good reviews on his staff and follow-up too. I have my one-on-one scheduled for April 28th.

missy, I had to call my insurance company(humana) and they told me there was a bariatric management team that I had to talk to. This was on a Tuesday and I had left messages everyday and emailed them once. 6 days later they emailed me the requirements. Which was nice so that I could print it out. I have to do 6 month md supervised diet and has to be done at a center of excellence. Dr Curry's journeylite office is not center of excellence but they told me he could do my surgery at Jewish hospital in cincinnati which is COE

Hope this helps. Jenni

Thanks Jenni! i wish I could get them this weekend, while I have the time to research! Beauty Queen I apologize for jumping into your thread.