Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new on the forum-want this-but my age may hurt me.

Hello, I have been praying about my weight and I am positive that the answer is the lap band surgery. However, when I called the first Dr. in Alabama that I was referred to by my Dr. his nurse said that he cut off the surgery at 59. I am 65. However, I did not give up. I got names from internet and continued to call. Some Drs. will do it after 65 but is it more dangerous. Also, I am on Medicare and even though I called Medicare to see if I could qualify, it seems that Medicare doesn't certify everyone. I am not really discouraged but I want to find a Dr. in Alabama or Georgia that will do it over 65 but is very reliable and safe. I don't want to select the wrong Doctor. Any advice. Thanks so much.

Hello, I have been praying about my weight and I am positive that the answer is the lap band surgery. However, when I called the first Dr. in Alabama that I was referred to by my Dr. his nurse said that he cut off the surgery at 59. I am 65. However, I did not give up. I got names from internet and continued to call. Some Drs. will do it after 65 but is it more dangerous. Also, I am on Medicare and even though I called Medicare to see if I could qualify, it seems that Medicare doesn't certify everyone. I am not really discouraged but I want to find a Dr. in Alabama or Georgia that will do it over 65 but is very reliable and safe. I don't want to select the wrong Doctor. Any advice. Thanks so much.

My friend had the surgery the same day as me. Actually we became friends at the hospital! Anyway, she is 63. So, go for it!!!

hello Betty Joe,

I don't know which Dr. here in Bama you called. What location of Bama you looking for? My Dr. Is in Albertville and Guntersville (he has 2 offices). His name is Dr. Groves. Here is his phone number 256-840-5547 and his web sit

www.1samc.com

Dr. Groves has the band himself. His partner Dr. Britt done his. Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Thanks for the two messages and I hope that I will hear from more people. I did go on internet this morning and found out a little more about some Drs. that did the band on people my age. But any advice that any one can give me, I need it. Yesterday when I was told the age was 59 I seem to have the "give up" attitude, but, I am convinced this is the way for me to go. I am tired of losing and gaining more back than I lost, and, I am just tired of carrying this weight around. Now, after being able to find a Doctor, I need to find things that will replace food for me. I am all ready working on that--just being lighter and moving easier is a start! My weight is in my way. Thanks--keep writing me and giving me encouragment.

Hello Betty Jo, I had LapBand Surgery last June at the age of 60. Doctor told me sometimes it takes a little longer for older people to lose the weight, but you can do it. He said as long as I was healthy enough to have the surgery he has no age restrictions. I would say go for it. I still have a long way to go, but have lost 90 pounds and feel a lot better and having fun wearing clothes I have had hidden in the closet for years.

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. Yesterday I was a little down but with all of this encouragement I am ready to go again. This surgery is for me---to be healhtier and able to do many things that I want to do but just can't with my size. This is an example--there are many times that I just want to sit on the floor to put things toether but I can't because I can't get up. I will be able to after this surgery and the loss of weight. Thanks again.

Hi, Betty Joe --

I just had the lap band surgery a little over two weeks ago. I will be 70 years young in two months. I was self-pay. I have approximately 140 pounds to lose. I would do it again in a heartbeat!! It took me this many years to change my mind-set to do this. I am doing superb!!

Sincerely, Pat (pattyrich)

Pat, and to everyone, I love this encouragement. I am very much like you, Pat---this Christmas, my sister mentioned to me the lap band surgery. Of course, i responsed "never." Now, I want it and know that I am suppose to have it. Just got to select a Doctor and go through the process. Thanks.

Hi, I just saw your post and was curious why you want to have it removed, having nothing to do with your age. Did you have a problem with the band? Thanks for responding,

Pat (pattyrich)

I know people who have had WLS at 65 and older. Try a teaching hospital. They usually take medicare and also they are better about not having arbitrary cut-offs.

Hi, I just saw your post and was curious why you want to have it removed, having nothing to do with your age. Did you have a problem with the band? Thanks for responding,

Pat (pattyrich)

Thanks for your response. I've had nothing but pain for almost 1 1/2 years. I have no fill, but the port area is excruciating.

Best of luck to you.