Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Out, Sleeve In! It's done.

I feel great. I wish I could go travel around a little bit and see more of Mexicali . It's so boring in this hosptial. Everyone in the hospital and outside are wearing masks, so I don't think it's a great idea for me to go exploring on my own.

I think people think I am a little nuts walking around outside in my housecoat. Dr. A told me to walk to the fence and that's where the border is and my phone would work. I had to cross a busy street. Maybe the people in the cars are used to seeing crazy Americans walking around the hospital neighborhoods in their bathrobes. Acutally, I could have gotten dressed, but I decided that was a hassle.

Like you, I have not experienced hunger since having surgery and I want it to stay that way forever.

I don't remember who told me that hunger does come back in about 1 1/2 years but never as strong as before.

I am drinking all the stuff they give me. I am thirsty but not hungry.

I'm so happy for you! I have my band rechecked on Wednesday to see if it went back into place. I'm actually hopng that it hasn't because I believe that the VSG is the best option out there and you guys are getting psyched to get this blankety-blank band out. Have fun walking around in your housecoat, you crazy thing!

I'm so happy for you! I have my band rechecked on Wednesday to see if it went back into place. I'm actually hopng that it hasn't because I believe that the VSG is the best option out there and you guys are getting psyched to get this blankety-blank band out. Have fun walking around in your housecoat, you crazy thing!

Good luck with the MD visit on Wed!

yes, I second that. Good luck Karey!

Elizabeth, the nurse that took me down for my leak test said he lost 100 lbs in 6 months with his sleeve. I know I am going to love this sleeve.

OKAY -- I have a few questions and hopefully you can answer them - well one, only Elisabeth can answer.

1. Elisabeth -- what are you going to have to eat tomorrow? May 2nd ... I'm sure you've got it all planned out.

2. I have not had the band, am going straight for the sleeve. I also have never had surgery where I had to be on a clear liquid diet or any type of diet for that point. So, can you fill me in on what you can/can't drink -- and I'll start "practicing" so it doesn't come as a total shock to my body?

3. Did you all tell the people you work with that you were having or had the sleeve? I work with very judgmental people and truthfullly don't care to share my private life with them regarding this matter -- many of them struggle with weight; yet they will judge me and I don't feel like having to explain myself to them ... however, seeing as I plan to go back to work in a week (I have a desk job) I don't see anyway around telling them something. Any ideas on how to handle this?

Thanks for all your help.

Vegasangel: I don't think I would tell them anything. I wish I hadn't told people that I had the lap band, because even if you have had WLS you still have to make the right choices, exercise, etc and people think that it comes off miraculously. Just tell them you're trying a liquid diet or cleanse, etc. It's not thedir business! If I have the revision surgery to a sleeve, I plan on telling people that I had my band removed. I won't add that I had the sleeve at the same time.

Edited by kareyquilts
adding another thought

I told everyone at work I was having my gall bladder out. I didn't want to tell anyone I was getting my band. I told them this time that I was going to see my dad in Phoenix. I still don't want to tell them. it's nobody's business. I didn't want people watching what I ate or asking me quesitons and I still don't.

10 days of clear you can have Jello sf popsicles broth herbal tea, unflavored whey protien mixed in crystal lite and I think Elizabeth had soy milk.

10 days of regular liquid you can have Soup but you have to blend it so there are no chunks in it and progtein shakes.< /p>

Let me know if you have any other questions and nobody comes back here for awhile. I have the lap top at the hospital til I go to sleep. Then tomorrow Susan Elizabeth or WasA will be around to answer more questions . we are all glad to help!

Let me know if you have any other questions and nobody comes back here for awhile. I have the lap top at the hospital til I go to sleep. Then tomorrow Susan Elizabeth or WasA will be around to answer more questions . we are all glad to help!

Well I read to buy Protein Drinks, etc before surgery so you know which ones you like -- what are the requirements and what are some of the choices?

Why is it that everyone seems to crave Tomato Soup? That's about the only Soup I can eat - all the others have way too much salt for me.

Glad to hear you are doing so well - hope I have the same results

i didn't tell anyone about my band either. the only person in the know is my husband. because i have been so sick and the children were overly concerned i told them i was banded in mx three years ago, that i have developed problems because of it and that is the reason for all my symptoms. they can learn from my error as well. when the band is removed, that also is the only thing on the table. i don't feel the need to discuss everything.

i highly value my privacy among coworkers also, who wants to deal w/probing, inappropriate questioning.

Thanks for posting Daisy, i was wondering how you were doing and how well you were being treated.

OKAY -- I have a few questions and hopefully you can answer them - well one, only Elisabeth can answer.

1. Elisabeth -- what are you going to have to eat tomorrow? May 2nd ... I'm sure you've got it all planned out.

LOL. Believe it or not, I don't have it planned and think I'm going to have some tilapia. I literally can't fit in a lot of food and am still not getting in the Protein I should be. Yesterday, I went to a diner for lunch with a friend and ordered a tuna sandwich with lettuce on rye toast. I had no Breakfast and did not feel hungry. I ate because I needed to get some protein in. I put half the sandwich to the side and took the bread off the half I was eating. I got 2/3 of the tuna and a small amount of lettuce down before I was full and brought the rest home.

2. I have not had the band, am going straight for the sleeve. I also have never had surgery where I had to be on a clear liquid diet or any type of diet for that point. So, can you fill me in on what you can/can't drink -- and I'll start "practicing" so it doesn't come as a total shock to my body?

The good thing about the VSG surgery is that you're not hungry post-op so you really don't look for or crave foods. liquids consists of sugar free ice pops, clear broths, apple juice, tang, grape juice (all juices are supposed to be mix with protein powder) and Jello. I could NOT do the Protein Powder and was allowed to go to prepared soy Protein Shakes 5 days post-op. That got me through the 10 days of clear.

3. Did you all tell the people you work with that you were having or had the sleeve? I work with very judgmental people and truthfullly don't care to share my private life with them regarding this matter -- many of them struggle with weight; yet they will judge me and I don't feel like having to explain myself to them ... however, seeing as I plan to go back to work in a week (I have a desk job) I don't see anyway around telling them something. Any ideas on how to handle this?

NO!!! I told two people I got the band and I told the same 2 people I was getting rid of the band and revising to VSG. I have been obese my entire life and don't desire to be in the spotlight or constantly questioned.

I am a nurse and went back to work in a week. I told people I had a hiatal hernia repaired and had a post-op diet to follow. At work, I had lemon flavored Special K protein Water (50 cal and 5 g protein in 16 oz) which really helped and bought some chicken noodle cup of Soup packets. I ate the broth and tossed the noodles.

Thanks for all your help.

Ask anything that comes up. I constantly emailed WASA with questions. LOL.

yes, I second that. Good luck Karey!

Elizabeth, the nurse that took me down for my leak test said he lost 100 lbs in 6 months with his sleeve. I know I am going to love this sleeve.

I met that male RN when I was there and he looks great. He told me men do better than women but I intend to prove him wrong. LOL.

You don't have that much to lose so you'll prove him wrong faster than me.

Well I read to buy Protein Drinks, etc before surgery so you know which ones you like -- what are the requirements and what are some of the choices?

Whey Protein is what they suggest but I could not get any brand down. Others here will have pointers on which are the best... WASA and Mac.

Why is it that everyone seems to crave Tomato Soup? That's about the only Soup I can eat - all the others have way too much salt for me.

Tomato soup is think, filling, has protein, is hot, and you can add skim milk to bump up the protein factor.

Glad to hear you are doing so well - hope I have the same results

You'll do great with the sleeve.

I told people I had a hiatal hernia repaired and had a post-op diet to follow. At work, I had lemon flavored Special K Protein Water (50 cal and 5 g protein in 16 oz) which really helped and bought some chicken noodle cup of Soup packets. I ate the broth and tossed the noodles.

OH ... I LOVE that idea .... that'll work ... doubtful anyone will know much about a hiatal hernia. I work in a law firm and we do handle medical malpractice cases; however, the hiatal hernia repair should work. THANKS for the great idea; and the suggestion on the protein water/broth. :wink:

Now another question: I drink coffee and use this sugar free (made with splenda, not aspartame) fat free, calorie free Syrup - most of which are clear -- could that be added to the Protein Drink to give it flavor? I drink a protein smoothie every morning; however it has fruit in it; I've never just put protein into water or juice ... sounds a bit disgusting. Any thoughts? :)

OH ... I LOVE that idea .... that'll work ... doubtful anyone will know much about a hiatal hernia. I work in a law firm and we do handle medical malpractice cases; however, the hiatal hernia repair should work. THANKS for the great idea; and the suggestion on the Protein water/broth. :wink:

Now another question: I drink coffee and use this sugar free (made with splenda, not aspartame) fat free, calorie free Syrup - most of which are clear -- could that be added to the Protein Drink to give it flavor? I drink a protein smoothie every morning; however it has fruit in it; I've never just put protein into Water or juice ... sounds a bit disgusting. Any thoughts? :)

Yes, you can add artificial sweetners to drinks. I would go to a health food store and see if they have samples of whey protein. Try some post-op to see if there is one you can tolerate.

Remember, if you can't do any of them (most people can do one), contact the patient coordinator (Gaby). I found soy slender in the grocery store that's got Fiber, 8 g protein, and 80 cal in 8 oz. I was allowed to use that after gagging up the whey stuff... day 5 post-op.