Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded in 2005 and switching to gastric bypass

I was banded in June 2005 but don't have a happy story to tell, which is why I never post. I believe that either my band was placed too high or my body is just not meant to be banded. On a positive note, my acid reflux actually stopped after being banded. But I had an endoscopy 2 years later and the gastrointerologist could not tell I had a band. He also said that I have a hiatal hernia which I did not have when the band was placed. Everything I eat either goes straight through or comes back up. I have not lost any weight since the first few months and have continued to fluxuate up and down by 30 pounds. I only had one fill because I'm sure that my band is not in the right spot. I went to Mexico to have my band put in but now I'm taking steps to have it removed and get gastric bypass here in my local area. I have not had a great experience with the band as many others have. But maybe it's just not for everyone.??? Any one out there who can relate???

Hi, Jennifer;

The band is not for everyone. It doesn't work for everyone, and there are very often problems associated with it. Some times the right thing to do is to move to another method. Gastric Bypass MAY be the right thing for you. There are several processes available to you, and at this juncture in your experience, it might be a wise thing to do to look at ALL your options.

I had a very bad experience with the Lap band. I ended up having a Gastric Bypass, and I am presently at a perfect weight for my height/build. It took less than a year.

I had a more difficult recovery than most due to the injuries I suffered as a result of having the lap band, but I DID recover, I HAVE lost all the weight I need to lose. So, it may end up being the right decision for me.

But, take your time and look at all the options. For people who can afford to have whatever procedure they want, Gastric Bypass seems to be the preferred method, but it really, really depends on the individual and their needs. How much you have to lose, specific health problems, and many other factors can influence your decision.

I would also seriously consider giving the classic diet/exercise combination another shot. Losing the weight that way is the safest, healthiest method, but it is also the slowest and most difficult. Many cannot do it that way, and for them (us) WLS is the answer. But, it needs to be considered as an option.

I think that it is important that you take your time in deciding, and in picking your surgeon. It is only MY opinion, but I think you should consider having your next procedure done near where you live, rather than in Mexico or in some location distant from your home. There are those here on this board who would disagree with that, and I would advise you to seek out their opinions as well, but I think that it's important that you you live within a very reasonable driving distance of your surgeon, PARTICULARLY as you have had difficulty with your original surgery.

As said, I have been through both surgeries, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Best of Luck, and keep us posted on your progress!:smile2:

HH

Thank you so much HH for your input. You're the first person I have found who has had this experience. Not that there aren't more, but I haven't found them. I will probably be seeking your knowledge and support in the near future as I get further along in this process.

I had my surgery done in Monterrey, Mexico by Dr. Rumbaut.

What's going on with your band Kat?

Basically like you said...I can eat and it goes straight through or it comes back up. I can't call it. I can never tell when I can eat and when I can't. It's a promise that I can't eat in the morning for sure. I can drink fluids though. But then by 4-5 o'clock I am very hungry so I try to eat. Some days I can eat very easily as long as I follow the rules (small bites, chew, eat slowly, no liquids, etc) but then other days (most days) by the third bite I feel it get tight and I already know it's gonna come back up. I had 2 unfills already but they were slight. I am so confused because I don't know why my band is tight one minute then loose the next. After I have and episode where the food comes back up, I am sore. I feel like I am damaging things in there. I have a doc but she is an hour and half away and expensive (I'm unemployed). I don't think she has ever encountered this problem before with a patient. Someone on here told me that I may be intolerant to the band. What do you think I should do?